College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Question is, do you want a guy that hits 30 homers

Yes. Next question.

but is a mediocre fielder that may make lots of errors……sometimes passing on a player is the best answer

Cross that bridge when we get there. If he is hurting the team too much defensively, just DH him. I’m good giving him every opportunity to get on the field defensively, but ultimately, if he can’t play defense, he can’t play defense.

If he is hurting the team too much defensively, just DH him. I’m good giving him every opportunity to get on the field defensively, but ultimately, if he can’t play defense, he can’t play defense.

it may not be that simple to just DH someone if that person “is demanding” to play the field, yes a coach can lie to the kid however that creates another set up circumstances that may not be good either

it may not be that simple to just DH someone if that person “is demanding” to play the field, yes a coach can lie to the kid however that creates another set up circumstances that may not be good either

I’m not saying lie to him. I’m saying bring him in to play the field, but if it doesn’t work out, you can’t be stuck playing him at 3B and hurting the team because you made a promise to him or something. Nobody should be promised that they will start at a certain position even if there is a better option on the roster.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He can't demand a promise that he'll be a starter in the field. If that's the case, Tony V should move on. You can promise him the opportunity to win the position or even that the position is his to lose, but in the end, the kid has to win/hold that position. If he does lose the job is on him and not a lie by the coach. Now you can argue how it will be perceived from a recruiting standpoint, but I think anyone who has heard Tony Vitello speak knows he's a solid person. He's all about relationships and helping the kids. He's not going to pull a stunt like that. Hell, as hot as we are right now, he doesn't have to lie to get a kid. Hope we get him, but from reading the posts in this forum, it's pretty clear that we're not putting all our hopes on him. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see us move in another direction if he waits too long on making a decision.

Question is, do you want a guy that hits 30 homers but is a mediocre fielder that may make lots of errors……sometimes passing on a player is the best answer
moneyball-gets-on-base.gif

He can't demand a promise that he'll be a starter in the field. If that's the case, Tony V should move on. You can promise him the opportunity to win the position or even that the position is his to lose, but in the end, the kid has to win/hold that position. If he does lose the job is on him and not a lie by the coach. Now you can argue how it will be perceived from a recruiting standpoint, but I think anyone who has heard Tony Vitello speak knows he's a solid person. He's all about relationships and helping the kids. He's not going to pull a stunt like that. Hell, as hot as we are right now, he doesn't have to lie to get a kid. Hope we get him, but from reading the posts in this forum, it's pretty clear that we're not putting all our hopes on him. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see us move in another direction if he waits too long on making a decision.
I think our chances were slim to start with anyway. I imagine with Link Jarrett, who may be the 2nd hottest coach right now, going to FSU and the rumors of Tommy possibly wanting to move back to Florida will seal the deal of him being at FSU next year. Would've been fun to see him and Burke in the same lineup.

I think our chances were slim to start with anyway. I imagine with Link Jarrett, who may be the 2nd hottest coach right now, going to FSU and the rumors of Tommy possibly wanting to move back to Florida will seal the deal of him being at FSU next year. Would've been fun to see him and Burke in the same lineup.

Yeah, but Link Jarrett looks like Jim Harbaugh in a baseball cap, so Tony V is obviously waaaaaay hotter. It’s a pretty big gap.

if I recall, Denton wore us out last year in Alabama or he at least had a few big hits against us and played a goof 3rd base defensively

Denton has played well against us the last two years. He was a big reason we lost that first SEC Tournament game in 2021. Good player. Not the addition offensively that White would be, but as far as a backup option is concerned he would be a solid pickup if it happens.

I don’t know if anyone else on roster would be better than him right now anyway. Not a bad idea for a one-year “rental” while we recruit a longer term 3B.

Denton has played well against us the last two years. He was a big reason we lost that first SEC Tournament game in 2021. Good player. Not the addition offensively that White would be, but as far as a backup option is concerned he would be a solid pickup if it happens.

I don’t know if anyone else on roster would be better than him right now anyway. Not a bad idea for a one-year “rental” while we recruit a longer term 3B.

Logan Chambers is listed as an infielder. Does anyone know if he can play a decent third base?

Don’t know how true this is because….Twitter, but if true it would suggest maybe he isn’t quite as locked in on Florida schools as suggested.

Or he's enjoying the trippin' process. I think UT's interest in Denton speaks volumes. This is the baseball version of Tate/OSU. You know where his heart is. As soon as FSU makes the hire, it's a done deal. Pray I'm wrong.

Don’t know how true this is because….Twitter, but if true it would suggest maybe he isn’t quite as locked in on Florida schools as suggested.

I wouldn't be surprised if he visited LSU. That said, I think he'll eventually wind up at FSU once Jarrett is officially announced.

FWIW, that same LSU outlet did a lot to stoke the Coach V to LSU chatter last offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if he visited LSU. That said, I think he'll eventually wind up at FSU once Jarrett is officially announced.

FWIW, that same LSU outlet did a lot to stoke the Coach V to LSU chatter last offseason.

Oh, I think he is FSU bound as well. Just pointing out the door could still be open for another school.

Feels like our momentum with Skenes is going backwards? McKee called him all Vol after his visit. Not so much lately.

It certainly feels like it's slowed down. Prior to going on vacation, Ben mentioned that our staff didn't really have a feeling about which schools he would be visiting.

It certainly feels like it's slowed down. Prior to going on vacation, Ben mentioned that our staff didn't really have a feeling about which schools he would be visiting.

Interesting. If we miss on both White and Skenes, I wonder where the staff goes. We need a catcher. I’m not too sure Charlie Taylor has the bat to be a full-time player. I guess Denton would have the heat turned up, but I wonder how real that relationship is right now.

Wish we could get a new write up from McKee, ha! Curiosity is killing me.

Interesting. If we miss on both White and Skenes, I wonder where the staff goes. We need a catcher. I’m not too sure Charlie Taylor has the bat to be a full-time player. I guess Denton would have the heat turned up, but I wonder how real that relationship is right now.

One of the in-the-know guys on here said Dickey has the full intention of being the starting catcher next year if I recall.

Prior to Skenes, Ben mentioned the catcher position would be Jared and Charlie. In my opinion, they still may look for a catcher in the portal.

Hopefully we'll get an update from Ben once he returns from his vacation.

VN Store

Back