College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

I don't hate this. I know our pitching staff is going to lack experience, but I think the arms we're bringing in are serious weapons. Anderson must love this, I just hope he has enough time for all the new guys!

How do you get that our pitching staff will lack experience? Our weekend guys will all be returning starters except maybe 1 high level freshman. Our bullpen will be returning most of the guys from last year. As a freshman, you have to work really hard to get playing time and do a lot of stuff on your own. Coach A will do what he can but he will focus on the main guys as every college PC does.

How do you get that our pitching staff will lack experience? Our weekend guys will all be returning starters except maybe 1 high level freshman. Our bullpen will be returning most of the guys from last year. As a freshman, you have to work really hard to get playing time and do a lot of stuff on your own. Coach A will do what he can but he will focus on the main guys as every college PC does.

Even Tidwell and Dollander have plenty of room to improve even with a year under their belt. It's not like sending Cheese or Heflin out there. Or Walsh or Kirby or Hunley. My point is they will all consume time from Anderson - not that the guys I mentioned previously didn't, but in a more demanding way.

Tidwell (1 yr), Burns (Fresh), Dollander (1yr). We have Cam, Kirby, Redmond returning that played a lot, any others not a ton of time unless I'm forgetting some. Halvorsen has experience. We'll probably see Newman and Cherry in some capacity, both are freshmen.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
To clarify, the point of my post was that Anderson's time will be in great demand. Not that we have anything to worry about.

I agree. But it is not like they are all freshmen. They have experience but will need some tweaking. I don't think it is much different than last year because many of the guys last year were being rebuilt. Anderson will find time to work with most of the guys during the fall but then they will kinda transition to the ones who will contribute and many will get less time. Some believe that you can work with 20 guys in the spring but that is not the case. by the end of the fall they will narrow it down to a certain number of pitchers and a certain number or fielders and the rest get very little time. That is reality in every program.

Even Tidwell and Dollander have plenty of room to improve even with a year under their belt. It's not like sending Cheese or Heflin out there. Or Walsh or Kirby or Hunley. My point is they will all consume time from Anderson - not that the guys I mentioned previously didn't, but in a more demanding way.

Tidwell (1 yr), Burns (Fresh), Dollander (1yr). We have Cam, Kirby, Redmond returning that played a lot, any others not a ton of time unless I'm forgetting some. Halvorsen has experience. We'll probably see Newman and Cherry in some capacity, both are freshmen.

Keep in mind that Tidwell's experience as a freshman was way above normal. He more than held his own against the best in the SEC as a weekend starter during the season, in Hoover, Regionals, Super Regionals and Omaha. That's quite a season of experience for any freshman.

Cheese actually had less SEC experience heading to this past season than Tidwell will have this year. I get the point you are making though.

Reactions: Volunteer08
It's a rare thing to have a lefty hitting SS, much less a power bat from the left side. Is Lawson out of eligibility or expected to enter this summer's draft? If not, would we move him to 3b if we got this guy? Or put Ahuna at 3d?

I would assume if we're pursuing Ahuna, Vitello believes Lawson will project high enough in the draft for him to leave. Tony seems pretty loyal, so I can't see him bringing in a SS to replace Lawson and boot him from the lineup. Perfect Game did project Lawson as a SS/3B out of high school though, so I guess he could move positions.

I would assume if we're pursuing Ahuna, Vitello believes Lawson will project high enough in the draft for him to leave. Tony seems pretty loyal, so I can't see him bringing in a SS to replace Lawson and boot him from the lineup. Perfect Game did project Lawson as a SS/3B out of high school though, so I guess he could move positions.

I would think Lawson might want to spend another year in college to show the bigs he can hit and increase his draft stock and up-front money. He's shown he has power, at least with metal bats. A move to 3d might do that for him. On the other hand, SSs are worth more than 3Bs. If he projects as 3B in the pros, maybe he wants to play a year at that position in college? It's the old bird in hand vs 2 in bush dilemma.

I would think Lawson might want to spend another year in college to show the bigs he can hit and increase his draft stock and up-front money. He's shown he has power, at least with metal bats. A move to 3d might do that for him. On the other hand, SSs are worth more than 3Bs. If he projects as 3B in the pros, maybe he wants to play a year at that position in college? It's the old bird in hand vs 2 in bush dilemma.

It's a good discussion topic, and it's hard to know exactly what will happen till after the season. I will say that Lawson is 22 right now, and would be 23 after next season. He's not "old" by any means, but scouts tend to value youth and an extra year in college could do more to hurt his draft stock than help depending on how he develops. I know Tom Hart on SECN during the Georgia series said scouts weren't too high on the Tate brothers (who killed us) because both were 23-24 years old. I would think if Lawson projects in those Top 10 rounds, he'd go.

VN Store

Back