Cobra Kai Season 1, 2 and 3

Just binge watched Season 3 last night. I found it better than Season 2, still not topping Season 1 IMO.

William Zabka continues to kill it. I thought they went overboard with a few of his scenes, but overall, he is the driver for the entire show. If they would have had to replace him with another actor for some reason, this show would have been DOA.

Some things I noticed:

I like the closure with Ali. They hinted at it in Season 2, but I'm glad she "popped up" in the season. As well as her side of the story on the breakup. "Friends" right... However, there could be a larger part for her to play in Season 4.

And say what you want, Elisabeth Shue has aged really well.

They continue reaching into the past trilogy to develop the plots for this series. Nothing wrong with that, though I do think Chozen could have played a far larger role had they wanted. I thought he was going to be the one that owned the distribution network, but I liked how they snuck that one in on us with the little girl Daniel saved in the typhoon. I was wondering how they were going to get him the contract back. Nicely done on the writer's part.

The teenager scenes were a little over the top IMO. However, I think the community "response" to the fight at school at the end of Season 2 was on point and maybe a bit underwhelming this day in age. The teenage drama got to be a bit much, but they managed to keep it in line with the plot. I do think Hannah Kepple (Moon) will be a star in Hollywood.

Courtney Henggeler (Amanda LaRusso) went full Karen this season. I'm pretty sure that's the subtle message they were intending.

Still not sold on Mary Mouser (Samantha LaRusso) as an "action" actress though. Everything seemed kind of forced this season.

Xolo Maridueña played an exceptional part again. The kid has a future.

Peyton List (Tory) did a pretty good "mean girl" though I think they haven't dove that deep into her character yet.

Eagle Fang lol "I mean a real animal!"

I thought the house fight in the last episode was pretty much over the top, but the dojo battle with Kreese, Johnny and Daniel was on point.

Interesting they went into the background on Kreese. I'm not sold on that yet and have to have some time to think.

I will say this, they really have honored the movie trilogy. It's campy at some points, especially in regards to Johnny (I mean, who can't Facebook these days?) and downright over the top in others, but it works. At some point, I do think they have to get away from invoking Miyagi every moment they can and have Daniel be his own sensei as I thought those references to the past came a little too often.

Overall, I think it's better than Season 2, not better than 1, but can stand on its own and provides the vehicle into Season 4. We'll see where it leads from here.

Just binge watched Season 3 last night. I found it better than Season 2, still not topping Season 1 IMO.

William Zabka continues to kill it. I thought they went overboard with a few of his scenes, but overall, he is the driver for the entire show. If they would have had to replace him with another actor for some reason, this show would have been DOA.

Some things I noticed:

I like the closure with Ali. They hinted at it in Season 2, but I'm glad she "popped up" in the season. As well as her side of the story on the breakup. "Friends" right... However, there could be a larger part for her to play in Season 4.

They continue reaching into the past trilogy to develop the plots for this series. Nothing wrong with that, though I do think Chozen could have played a far larger role had they wanted. I thought he was going to be the one that owned the distribution network, but I liked how they snuck that one in on us with the little girl Daniel saved in the typhoon. I was wondering how they were going to get him the contract back. Nicely done on the writer's part.

The teenager scenes were a little over the top IMO. However, I think the community "response" to the fight at school at the end of Season 2 was on point and maybe a bit underwhelming this day in age. The teenage drama got to be a bit much, but they managed to keep it in line with the plot. I do think Hannah Kepple (Moon) will be a star in Hollywood.

Courtney Henggeler (Amanda LaRusso) went full Karen this season. I'm pretty sure that's the subtle message they were intending.

Still not sold on Mary Mouser (Samantha LaRusso) as an "action" actress though. Everything seemed kind of forced this season.

Peyton List (Tory) did a pretty good "mean girl" though I think they haven't dove that deep into her character yet.

I thought the house fight in the last episode was pretty much over the top, but the dojo battle with Kreese, Johnny and Daniel was on point.

Interesting they went into the background on Kreese. I'm not sold on that yet and have to have some time to think.

I will say this, they really have honored the movie trilogy. It's campy at some points, especially in regards to Johnny (I mean, who can't Facebook these days?) and downright over the top in others, but it works. At some point, I do think they have to get away from invoking Miyagi every moment they can and have Daniel be his own sensei as I thought those references to the past came a little too often.

Overall, I think it's better than Season 2, not better than 1, but can stand on its own and provides the vehicle into Season 4. We'll see where it leads from here.
I think you're pretty spot on. I agree about the Okinawa stuff. Over all I think it was damn good and sets up season 4 well.

After finishing Season 3 I finally made the connection that Elisabeth Shue was in The Boys and it was surreal.

Season 3 was great. Definitely on par with season 1. I’m not sure how they go forward without making the show really dark and having someone get killed. The dojo scene and revealing of Kreese’s background don’t really leave room for him to have any sort of redemption.

I just finished season 3. I do enjoy the show but it sort of teeters on being a great drama and downright silly. The fight scenes especially are just ridiculous, as are a lot of the scenes involving the students in general. Also, IMO they are leaning way too hard into nostalgia. Can we please stop bringing back EVERY character from the movies? Let me guess, Terry Silver and Mike Barnes will be returning in season 4 to join forces with Kreese?

I'm assuming the soldier who hugs Kreese during the flashback scene is Silver. I'm sure that was no accident. We will see him again I'll bet.

The times when the show is at it's best honestly is when it involves Johnny. William Zabka is so great in this show! I find the scenes involving Daniel and his family, frankly kind of boring and uninteresting. The flaws in Johnny are what makes him an interesting and relatable character. They've made "Daniel Do Right" way too pious of a character and even his so called "flaws" are always rooted in good intentions. He's like the guy at the job interview who says his biggest flaw is that he's too hard on himself and a perfectionist! Daniel is NOT Mr. Miyagi, although I know the creators are sort of trying to put Daniel in that role. He was a punk street kid when we were first introduced to Daniel. The show needs to show us that side of him a little more IMO. One thing I do love about this show as a Gen X'er is the constant ridicule of how soft and ridiculous the millennial generation is.

Last edited:
I've made it through episode 6 so far, pretty good.

I just finished season 3. I do enjoy the show but it sort of teeters on being a great drama and downright silly. The fight scenes especially are just ridiculous, as are a lot of the scenes involving the students in general. Also, IMO they are leaning way too hard into nostalgia. Can we please stop bringing back EVERY character from the movies? Let me guess, Terry Silver and Mike Barnes will be returning in season 4 to join forces with Kreese?

I'm assuming the soldier who hugs Kreese during the flashback scene is Silver. I'm sure that was no accident. We will see him again I'll bet.

The times when the show is at it's best honestly is when it involves Johnny. William Zabka is so great in this show! I find the scenes involving Daniel and his family, frankly kind of boring and uninteresting. The flaws in Johnny are what makes him an interesting and relatable character. They've made "Daniel Do Right" way too pious of a character and even his so called "flaws" are always rooted in good intentions. He's like the guy at the job interview who says his biggest flaw is that he's too hard on himself and a perfectionist! Daniel is NOT Mr. Miyagi, although I know the creators are sort of trying to put Daniel in that role. He was a punk street kid when we were first introduced to Daniel. The show needs to show us that side of him a little more IMO. One thing I do love about this show as a Gen X'er is the constant ridicule of how soft and ridiculous the millennial generation is.
Oh relax

Some things I noticed:

I agree 100% and with the idea of Kreese’s Vietnam friend coming in Season 4 it’s gonna get really good. I have found many parts to be cheesy but they have done a great job tying the past into the present

I am in Season 2. But after watching Season 1, Johnny Lawrence is the more likeable character between he and Daniel.....Son.

I agree. As you continue you'll realize how much of a better actor he his as well. I like the first seaon, then it started to go all highschool drama and went away from the nostalgia feeling that drew me in. I'll be surprised if they don't break out in song and dance next season.

I agree. As you continue you'll realize how much of a better actor he his as well. I like the first seaon, then it started to go all kissy kissy highschool drama and went away from the nostalgia feeling that drew me in. I'll be surprised if they don't break out in song and dance next season.

VN Store

Back