Coach's Reaction To Oklahoma Opening

JGA, I left a job not long ago, where I felt overpaid, to take a job where they offered ~40% increase. Haven't felt guilty once.

(I'm in a very technical profession with a specific skillset that is in huge demand and not many people do.)
So.... you've got a very particular set of skills....

“I feel like” Comparing Lane to Huepel, Lane being the one saying one sentence answers. I’m committed to Tennessee, compared to Huepel sounding sincere and genuine.
Can you tell us what lane said before he left? Word for word without googling please.?
No sir.. That's why I asked you. I don't remember any interviews with Lane prior to him bailing on UT. What did he say?

Reactions: SonOfGodVolforlife
Priority list he likely considers with checkmarks where UT is superior than OK in the SEC:

1. Brand of the program ✅
2. Boss and how much influence he or she exerts ✅➕
3. Pay - tie
4. Family lifestyle ✅➕
5. Competitive landscape ✅➕
6. Recruiting landscape ✅
7. Fan base support ✅
8. Trend of a program - we’re trending better but that’s short term
9. Political factors - not sure
10. Booster involvement - again, not sure but could be a detriment

This is what any executive would be considering with a major move. Prioritize your life and career desires to take emotion out of it. In the end, CJH stays with us for the long run and if he continues to prove himself, pay him accordingly. JMO.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Priority list he likely considers with checkmarks where UT is superior than OK in the SEC:

1. Brand of the program ✅
2. Boss and how much influence he or she exerts ✅➕
3. Pay - tie
4. Family lifestyle ✅➕
5. Competitive landscape ✅➕
6. Recruiting landscape ✅
7. Fan base support ✅
8. Trend of a program - we’re trending better but that’s short term
9. Political factors - not sure
10. Booster involvement - again, not sure but could be a detriment

This is what any executive would be considering with a major move. Prioritize your life and career desires to take emotion out of it. In the end, CJH stays with us for the long run and if he continues to prove himself, pay him accordingly. JMO.

Norman is actually a really decent city. OU is still a top 10 job if not in the top 5.
OU and their AD, which has a pretty damn good run of hiring good coaches for all of their programs, isn’t in any hurry. I mean, damn, the guy convinced a college HOF coach to become interem coach while they search for the next guy. When did we have or use that luxery?
Heup will undoubtedly be a very good HC and glad he’s at TN. It’s my understanding that although Heup is on their radar, he may not be the one they’re gunning for. Seriously doubt Heup takes the job even if offered.

Reactions: txbo
What part about WE LOVE BEING IN KNOXVILLE AND THAT IS HOME TO HIS FAMILY, was so hard to understand?

That is strong in and of itself. However? Had he followed that up with something like, "Therefore, I have no interest in other opportunities at this time." would have been stronger.

Reactions: BODACIOUS
Let me apply this OU, BobStoops/Huepel logic...."Um, well shucks yall, I wonder if we could go on ahead and put Fulmer back as AD, and pay Pruitts buyout, bring him back as HC, forget the past and whatnot. That sound OK to yall?" Okie dokie then! (I'm too dumb to find the blue font😉.)

What part about WE LOVE BEING IN KNOXVILLE AND THAT IS HOME TO HIS FAMILY, was so hard to understand?

It's possible for somebody to love more than one place. He can love Knoxville and still choose to go to Oklahoma because he loves it there even more.

You sound like the kind of person who would take a politician's promise to heart. Coach speak is akin to politician speak.

The big thing you guys are missing here is what ainge said to somebody on Twitter after the interview. He didn’t request Heupel to come on to the radio show, but Heupel asked him if he could. That is huge IMO because it shows that our coach cares and wants to tell everyone how much he loves Tennessee. It’d be different if ainge called and asked him to come on, but Heupel himself requested to.

I imagine his loyalty to UT is about the same as our loyalty is to him. One poor season or a loss to someone like Georgia Southern and fans will be saying to fire him with cause.
I don’t see Oklahoma offering him but in the future if someone makes him a big offer I would expect him to ask UT to bump up his contract to be comparable. And that would be fair IMO.

Reactions: FlVols
Poker Face! I believe he stays, at least for a while, and that will be a few years to see how the program develops. One thing I haven’t heard mentioned is a “poker face” … IF he sells his UT commitment TOO deep, what’s the chances of getting a bonus or salary bump just to keep him content ? If UT can feel “we’ve got him the bag”, it changes EVERYTHING about his position. I know, I’ve been there and done that. All is fair in Love and War so to speak. But I think any vagueness right now is about keeping UT honest and setting himself up with a little leverage.

It's possible for somebody to love more than one place. He can love Knoxville and still choose to go to Oklahoma because he loves it there even more.

You sound like the kind of person who would take a politician's promise to heart. Coach speak is akin to politician speak.
I hate politicians. Don’t change the fact that Hueple is here for the long run and gonna build something special.

Just tells me he won’t be here in the future if a better opportunity comes available. He tried to be too diplomatic for me and that’s not good for fans to here. How can you put you’re support behind a guy if you think he is looking. Just not a real vote of confidence for me.
Lol are you kidding. Are you guys forgetting the part where he said he wants to keep the staff together and keep building this up to a championship program. Or where he pretty much said it’s a top ten job.

VN Store

Back