Coaching Turnover

At season’s end, there is bound the be turnover in the coaching staff. Sherrer, Johnson, and Rocker have expiring contracts (I think), Tee probably tries to get an OC job, Neidermeyer will undoubtedly need another raise and maybe a promotion. Not sure what Rumph’s situation is. The only safe staff in my opinion are the coordinators and Friend. What do you all see happening and where do we go to fill the vacancies. I know people are talking about Lupoi. Are there any other names that peak your interest?

Why is it that some posters cannot enjoy the moment, Have to find something negative to post. Are you a recruiting service, taking Fulmer's job,
or just trying to be a relevant poster instead of a irrelevant poster.

Reactions: FïreBall
At season’s end, there is bound the be turnover in the coaching staff. Sherrer, Johnson, and Rocker have expiring contracts (I think), Tee probably tries to get an OC job, Neidermeyer will undoubtedly need another raise and maybe a promotion. Not sure what Rumph’s situation is. The only safe staff in my opinion are the coordinators and Friend. What do you all see happening and where do we go to fill the vacancies. I know people are talking about Lupoi. Are there any other names that peak your interest?
Of the 6 you mentioned I believe that all 6 will return.

Neidermeyer will likely bolt for USC if Meyer is hired, Sherrer will probably be replaced, I think Rocker will come back, I think Tee Stays, I think Weinke's contract expires this coming February and I think he will be one to watch in terms of not coming back. I would also watch Will Friend, I don't know how much Chaney trust him

Im curious....why would Neidermeyer bolt for USC if Meyer is hired? What’s the connection?

Dude, get a life. GBO!!!!! Our O-line has come along quite a ways from last year. We have had lapses but they have made strides. GBO!!!!
It’s his opinion that the reason the OLine has made some positive strides is because of Chaney’s influence.....and it ain’t crazy, at all. Don’t think he’s the only one who thinks it

Utter IGNORANCE....Dude's excelled everywhere he's coached. He has gotten our FR OL to play very well over the course of this season.
It’s beyond reasonable to believe that Chaney is one who’s has had the strongest positive influence on the OL and their improvement this year, especially give the pure ish job Friend did last year in being responsible for literally the worst OL in the country that was every bit as bad in game 12 as it was to start the year.

So, you think the improvement belongs to Friend, others think Chaney largely deserves the credit. Not “utterly ignorant” at all imo.

It’s beyond reasonable to believe that Chaney is one who’s has had the strongest positive influence on the OL and their improvement this year, especially give the pure ish job Friend did last year in being responsible for literally the worst OL in the country that was every bit as bad in game 12 as it was to start the year.

So, you think the improvement belongs to Friend, others think Chaney largely deserves the credit. Not “utterly ignorant” at all imo.

You can have your opinion.....

But your post does, IMO, confirm my suspicions.

You ignorantly or stupidly--take your pick--use ONE YEAR'S OL performance to conclude that Will Friend is a terrible coach!
That OL lost it's center, and all-SEC starting LG in Smith before the 5th game. And they did manage to beat Auburn at Auburn and a 10-win Kentucky team.
Aren't you the same guy who tried to convince everyone on here about how good a QB JG was?

To wit--your evaluations SUCK!

Friend came to Rocky Top following a three-year stint as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Colorado State, where he led an offense that ranked 11th in the nation and first in the Mountain West in total offense (492.5 ypg) in 2017.

Prior to his time at CSU, Friend served four years as the offensive line coach at Georgia, where he coached four NFL Draft picks on the Bulldogs’ line.
Friend has also made coaching stops at UAB and Gardner-Webb, and was a graduate assistant at Georgia.
He was a four-year starter and two-time All-SEC guard at Alabama from 1993 to 1997.

Friend has coached nine offensive linemen who have been selected in the NFL Draft, and 12 players overall, including guard Isaiah Wynn, a 2018 first-round selection by the New England Patriots.

Friend can do all of that and you still conclude after 1 year of his tenure at UT with injuries to his 2 best OL that he is a terrible coach.

SO...YES! It's UTTER IGNORANCE to draw the conclusions you have drawn about Friend from last's year's OL!!!

However, it is completely consistent with your impulsive posts that declare your own consistently bad evaluations.

And I could care less if you like the tone of my response. You butted in to a conversation unprepared and proved it with stupid conclusions.

P.S. And it evidently was CHANEY'S IDEA to keep rotating OL in the Georgia State game---and it was CHANEY who FAILED to continue to RUN THE DERN BALL against them, too.
It was CHANEY who continued to put the game's outcome upon JG's ability to throw the ball instead of placing it on the backs of Chandler and Gray who were having excellent games.

Last edited:
All things considered, I will leave those decisions to the individual coaches, the university, and those others in position to make these decisions. Highly doubt they need input.

I think Mason from candy is done.. unless they are afraid they'll lose some virtue signalling by firing an african american.. regardless of how bad his record.

Why is it that some posters cannot enjoy the moment, Have to find something negative to post. Are you a recruiting service, taking Fulmer's job,
or just trying to be a relevant poster instead of a irrelevant poster.

Dude, I’m a sunshine pumper. I’m just asking a question lol. It’s probably going to happen, I was just curious what people thought about it. But excuse me for trying to spark discussion and gain some insight.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

I think the credit goes to the fact that 4 new lineman named Smith, Morris, Wright and Kennedy are now playing. It's not rocket science why the line is improved. Smith supposedly has gone 2 full practices, I'm gonna give Pruitt credit on that one.

Reactions: CR-vol
Enjoy the wins and the increasingly likely bowl appearance but don't forget this team lost to GA State and BYU, haven't beaten a team with a winning record other than UAB, and recruiting is 'meh'. Pruitt will be back next year but the worst thing we can do now is put ourselves in the same position as SC by making some premature evaluation.

Reactions: vettefool
If any leave on their own for better opportunities, then Pruitt has an opportunity to take his time and upgrade when filling vacancies....

These type of decisions by a coach are paramount to their own career and ability to manage and lead.

Fulmer is a perfect example of this and how it led to his downfall as a head coach. He wouldn't pay coaches that deserved it when they left for better opportunities (didn't give the the better opportunity by staying) and often replaced them with lessor quality coaches (or projects) because he didn't want to pay fair market value.

This post gets everything wrong.

VN Store

Back