Coaching Turnover

SoMissVol

Irrelevant poster
At season’s end, there is bound the be turnover in the coaching staff. Sherrer, Johnson, and Rocker have expiring contracts (I think), Tee probably tries to get an OC job, Neidermeyer will undoubtedly need another raise and maybe a promotion. Not sure what Rumph’s situation is. The only safe staff in my opinion are the coordinators and Friend. What do you all see happening and where do we go to fill the vacancies. I know people are talking about Lupoi. Are there any other names that peak your interest?

Reactions: sport3500
If any leave on their own for better opportunities, then Pruitt has an opportunity to take his time and upgrade when filling vacancies....

These type of decisions by a coach are paramount to their own career and ability to manage and lead.

Fulmer is a perfect example of this and how it led to his downfall as a head coach. He wouldn't pay coaches that deserved it when they left for better opportunities (didn't give the the better opportunity by staying) and often replaced them with lessor quality coaches (or projects) because he didn't want to pay fair market value.

At season’s end, there is bound the be turnover in the coaching staff. Sherrer, Johnson, and Rocker have expiring contracts (I think), Tee probably tries to get an OC job, Neidermeyer will undoubtedly need another raise and maybe a promotion. Not sure what Rumph’s situation is. The only safe staff in my opinion are the coordinators and Friend. What do you all see happening and where do we go to fill the vacancies. I know people are talking about Lupoi. Are there any other names that peak your interest?
Neidermeyer will likely bolt for USC if Meyer is hired, Sherrer will probably be replaced, I think Rocker will come back, I think Tee Stays, I think Weinke's contract expires this coming February and I think he will be one to watch in terms of not coming back. I would also watch Will Friend, I don't know how much Chaney trust him

Reactions: allvolallthetime
We'll only lose the ones we want to lose. T is all set here in town. Ansley, maybe next year for HC job somewhere...needs to build resume a little more. We are in a GREAT spot with coordinators. Chaney wants to retire in Knoxville and regardless of who is D coordinator, it's Pruitt's deal. Consistency and competency at the top, Fulmer, Pruitt, Chaney, Ansley is what's needed to continue building...position coaches will come and go, but these guys will keep building the attractiveness of the assistant jobs around the SEC.

If any leave on their own for better opportunities, then Pruitt has an opportunity to take his time and upgrade when filling vacancies....

These type of decisions by a coach are paramount to their own career and ability to manage and lead.

Fulmer is a perfect example of this and how it led to his downfall as a head coach. He wouldn't pay coaches that deserved it when they left for better opportunities (didn't give the the better opportunity by staying) and often replaced them with lessor quality coaches (or projects) because he didn't want to pay fair market value.
Wow had no idea that HC Fulmer was the one actually paying coaches , whodathunkit

Neidermeyer will likely bolt for USC if Meyer is hired, Sherrer will probably be replaced, I think Rocker will come back, I think Tee Stays, I think Weinke's contract expires this coming February and I think he will be one to watch in terms of not coming back. I would also watch Will Friend, I don't know how much Chaney trust him
I think Neids stays. Garner has stayed at Auburn and is still recruiting good football players. Neids will stay and continue to recruit good football players,

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

Damn!!! What makes you think this staff bails now. They have not proven enough yet. Now in a couple more years of continued improvement, watch out. They will then have something to point to and say I have been a big part of this. But not yet.

The only exception I take to your post is "he didn't wnat to pay fair market value". I think "he" was the head coach not the man holding the purse string. I also think what he is "paying" his coaches now proves my point. We are paying pretty good considering the overhead that's been created by past contract stupidity.

Goodness... how does this narrative continue when it has been rehashed a million times.

Everything you just said about Fulmer is 100% inaccurate. 1.He had a very loyal and good staff. If you don't believe that then go look at the jobs those guys got after leaving here. 2. HAMILTON limited what he would give Fulmer to pay his staff. Which is why Fulmer hired Clawson instead of Debord. Clawson obviously didnt workout here but at that time he was considered a young, rising star in coaching circles which has obviously proven accurate. So Fulmer did not choose a bad coach that time either. He chose the best coach he could get with a shoestring budget provided by Hamilton. I'm pretty sure Fulmet let Rodney Gardner go because of his antics. Who else did Fulmer lose and replace with a worse coach? Could argue maybe OL but that was a retirement situation I believe. Outside of OC I can not recall one instance where we lost a coach because of salary.

It's stupid anyone wants to bash Fulmer at all but if people are going to they need to at least be accurate in their attempts to do so.

Damn!!! What makes you think this staff bails now. They have not proven enough yet. Now in a couple more years of continued improvement, watch out. They will then have something to point to and say I have been a big part of this. But not yet.

I don’t think it is a “this staff bails” but more of a “UT moves on” from a few.

Reactions: savannahfan
Chaney took over the OL after the GA State game, I'm not sure what Friend does now.
He did? There’s been several practice reports where he was working with the quarterbacks. Where did you see that he took over coaching the o-line or are you referring to a few reports that said he was working with the o-line and described it as breaking them down in groups because there was so much youth that Friend would take the guards for instance, while Chaney helped with the tackles.

Re-Watch the UAB game. Focus on the O-Line. Kentucky Game doesn’t count as the O-Line was only on the field like :45 all game long.
Dude, get a life. GBO!!!!! Our O-line has come along quite a ways from last year. We have had lapses but they have made strides. GBO!!!!

I don't think Tee leaves until he gets a top OC job, which will take a few years. Looking at his performance last time he was OC, he could use at least 3-5 years working with Chaney.

VN Store

Back