Coaching Staff Changes

Who would you fire?

• Total voters
my biggest gripe has been the o-line performance but again is it coaching, injuries, bad luck ..... I've said it before and I'll say it again excellence promotes the expectation of perfection and this staff has done a helluva job with the situation they have had this year. The Auburn game was a disaster but I don't think it was because of coaching (try 6 TOs), the ND loss was a great D-fensive effort and the "freak" injury could have happened at any point in the game, and we did win Sat. they just looked like crap doing it...but is that the coaches fault? It certainly wasn't Sanders fault he called the right plays to keep Clausen out of trouble now will that work against AU maybe not..... I have been pleasantly surprised at this teams achievements this year ... no not a perfect season but it exceeded my expectations.

I am pleasantly surprised at our record this year, but considering everything since Coach Cutcliffe left for Ole Miss, I think it is obvious that UT's Offense has been on a painful decline. I blame Randy Sanders for that decline, not the players, because UT has more than its share of talent on the field but not on the sidelines.

Originally posted by utvols@Nov 22, 2004 1:15 PM
I'd get rid of Sanders... he's held us back for a while now.

Sanders bashing is very fashionable and I've been frustrated with him at times, but I don't think this is the year to be on the Fire Randy Sanders bandwagon. Given our QB situation and spotty running game, I think he's done a pretty good job this year. He certainly hasn't held us back from anything.

offensive line coach reports to sanders...therefore either sanders doesnt call and or develope plays that maximize the talent he has or he has little control over his o line coach, who seems to have the same vision of o line performance as the Dallas Cowboys Oline coach. I say dump sanders and find a 30 ish genius coordinator out there whos operating under the radar.

If I had to fire any of those... I would choose John Chavis. Let me say that I wouldn't fire anybody, but if I had to pick one.

Our defense has the capability to hang with the best of them. I think they actually did a good job against Auburn, except all of our turnovers gave the Tigers great position every drive. The D also looked great against Georgia, and has just had some generally pretty damned good moments. Then, there's the moments like giving up over 30 points to Vandy.

So, what this all amounts to is, our D is capable of hanging in there with the best offenses in the country, but is not motivated well enough to play their hardest game in and game out, which I think is the coaches' responsibility.

I do not see why you think this is ridiculous? I played college football and know the importance of strenght and conditioning. In case anyone has forgotten our strength coach left a couple years back and ever since there has been a decline in toughness and all around football strengh. And there has also been a LOT more injury's in the past couple of years. When richt left fsu for uga he brought the strenght coach from fsu with him and look what has happen there. I am not saying that he is our only problem but it is no more ridiculous to say to fire him than it is to say fire chavis.

Originally posted by surfingvol44@Nov 22, 2004 3:30 PM
it is no more ridiculous to say to fire him than it is to say fire chavis.

Point taken - at least you are coming with some background. I was a college golfer. We didn't spend much time with strength coaches. :blink:

Personally, I'd like to fire some of the piss-ant, delusional, bammer like fans we have. Some of you guys sound like females...."what does it look like?" rather than how did it work. 9-2 with season long and season ending injuries ain't too bad considering the limitations we OBVIOUSLY had with starting 2 freshman QBs. Do you seriously think we could do the fun and gun offense with two freshmen? Bammer fever is contagious.

Attachments

• meachem_5538_lg.jpg
    meachem_5538_lg.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like it is pretty even between Stevens and Sanders.

The chavis vote really puzzles me. He over the years as been the most dependable coach that UT has. When in doubt the defense always steps up for him. He gets more out of his players than any other coach beside for Trooper Taylor now. That man is a machine.

Chavis will get a head coaching job before his name is ever brought up as to being fired.

hey if you would of told me before the season started that we would beat uga, bama, uf and be in the position to win the sec with this young of a team I would of cried just because I would of been so happy. But I have noticed myself that I have become a little to spoiled. So with that said and the fact we beat uga I would have to say in my opinion this has been an outstanding year and IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL.

Originally posted by bdbaggins@Nov 22, 2004 12:56 PM
The chavis vote really puzzles me. He over the years as been the most dependable coach that UT has. When in doubt the defense always steps up for him. He gets more out of his players than any other coach beside for Trooper Taylor now. That man is a machine.

Chavis will get a head coaching job before his name is ever brought up as to being fired.

That one was me. This is my first year as a Vol fan, so I am not familiar with how Chavis has done previously. But from what I've seen this year, our defense is inconsistent and shoddy, despite having some obvious talent, which has shown from time to time this season.

Shoddy!! Rookie DB's Lose one of the best LB's in the Country. The replacements have stepped up. Tennessee would have been blown out in a lot of games if it had not been for that Shoddy defense. The defense just need to tackle better. That Is the only thing that I will complain about to the coaches because it is the One thing that the coaches should be preaching and preaching to these Kids.

Originally posted by surfingvol44@Nov 22, 2004 4:01 PM
hey if you would of told me before the season started that we would beat uga, bama, uf and be in the position to win the sec with this young of a team I would of cried just because I would of been so happy. But I have noticed myself that I have become a little to spoiled. So with that said and the fact we beat uga I would have to say in my opinion this has been an outstanding year and IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL.

:clap: Amen. 'Nuff said.

A lot of the replies are focusing on this season's record. Sure, we've beat any reasonable expectations for this season. Win-loss record in 2004 is not everything.

Consider where UT offense is now, compared to where it was when Coach Cutcliffe left for Ole Miss. Where has Randy Sanders taken the UT offense during his time as OC? Has the offensive talent been developed and used every game? UT could have done so much better since Sanders has been the OC, considering the talent that we've had.

If we would have still had Cutcliffe as OC, would we have lost to an LSU team playing without their starting QB and RB in the SECCG in 2001? Would we have scored more than 3 points in the 2nd half in that game?

Sure, UT won the SEC East and is playing for the SEC title, but who have we beat? Who have we dominated? We were lucky to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, none of which are top 10 teams this year. I think our best game this year, which was really only 1/2 of a game, was against South Carolina, a team who got whipped by a team who lost to DUKE!!!

UT has talent, but it has not been developed and used. We have always had the same amount of talent or more as any of the top 5 teams over the past 4-5 years, but we don't get it done... why? I want to see better than what has been going on for the past several years.

Two me, 2 things are important....W/L record.....and....I hate complainers. You can micro-analyze anything and spin the results to prove a point. Big whoop dude.

what has Cutcliffe done without the man-child Manning? and Milo Chavis is one helluva D coach this yrs secondary was green as gords and the loss of Simon wuold have tanked lesser D coridinators but he made the adjustments Chavis will put a defense on the field to be proud of yr in yr out.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Nov 22, 2004 5:28 PM
I hate complainers.

Yes we get your point (on every post I might add). One question: Do you hate yourself?? :p

milohimself "this is my first year as a vol fan." Please explain this to me. That's like me saying this is my first year as an american. Orange blood pulses deep within your person and is no mere fanship or passing loyalty. Now I understand your previous posts. And secondly, when our offense is coached to the level of our defensive coaches we will be back in the BCS.

You guys are voting to fire the offensive line coach. Do you realize he coaches the blocking rules and schemes the OC applies?

The OL coaches within the system and that system depends on execution. Too many breakdowns under JRS for me. Just my opinion.

As for Milo he is a big Erik Ainge fan and that is what led him to this being his first year as a Tennessee fan. I think that's great.

Hey VolFreak, you can execute a game plan or play perfectly against the wrong defense and you will get nothing. JRS must apply the proper blocking schemes to the fronts that oppose him. Those blocking rules and schemes are implemented BY the OC! :huh:

I don't disagree but watching replays of this seasons games I see more lack of execution. This year a lot probably has to due with a lack of continuity with all of the injuries.

Remember the Tennessee lines of old. We would line up and say we are gonna run right at you.....try and stop us.

VN Store

Back