Coaching Staff Changes (David Johnson leaving for FSU)

I don’t think $$ would have been an issue had Pruitt wanted him here. Odd though, since his forte is WRs. I could see him leaving to get back in that role. I think theres a chance Tee gets promoted to QB coach and Weinke gets moved or fired. I don’t think Chaney is in sync with this staff.
I think we will be able to tell a huge difference with Chaney in year two. At times we moved the call it just didn’t show up on the scoreboard.

Him leaving sucks. His leaving for the same job sucks even more. If he leaves for a promotion that can be spun positively. A lateral move does not look good no matter how you spin it. Hopefully this is just rumor
Multiple reports out now that it is done, but I agree a lateral move doesn't look great for us, we were paying him 500k, however I can understand him wanting to work with Norvell again. Hopefully we upgrade, I want to see what Eric Gray looks like leveled up in the next year or two with good coaching and conditioning.

Him leaving sucks. His leaving for the same job sucks even more. If he leaves for a promotion that can be spun positively. A lateral move does not look good no matter how you spin it. Hopefully this is just rumor
CBS sports is the one reporting it... I just couldn’t figure out to link it from the article I was reading.....

His time since UT days with Chaney have been days that are more good than bad. His Notre Dame days were lightyears ahead of his time at UT. He's also been in the Pro's for a while. I don't see how he would be worse than Friend.
His players at UT hated him. Everyone wants to talk down about Friend and give Chaney all the credit for the o-line improvement this year. Friend didn't have much of a chance last year with that o-line. They were low on talent and depth, nevermind them being physically weak for the most part due to the lack of a stable S&C program. I think Friend has done fine so far considering the circumstances.

By the way, Ol' Harry had a group of very talented young guys on the o-line and they were pretty bad until Pittman came. I can't believe anyone would want that guy back.

Friend working with Chaney > Heistand working with Chaney

I don’t think $$ would have been an issue had Pruitt wanted him here. Odd though, since his forte is WRs. I could see him leaving to get back in that role. I think theres a chance Tee gets promoted to QB coach and Weinke gets moved or fired. I don’t think Chaney is in sync with this staff.
Not being a jerk, but what do you observe that makes you think Chaney is not in sync? If anything, those guys should be in sync with what he is trying to do. He's the one making the dollas!

I hope your right. Then with Johnson gone and hopefuly Weinke also. Then bring on Tosh Lupoi and how about Jay Graham as RBs coach.
Tosh is a defensive coach, need 2 offensive coaches if we lose 2 on that side. Unless maybe Chaney takes over QBs then maybe it would work. I would like to get Tosh would be huge, still hate to lose anyone. We need staff stability but I understand the business.

Tosh is a defensive coach, need 2 offensive coaches if we lose 2 on that side. Unless maybe Chaney takes over QBs then maybe it would work. I would like to get Tosh would be huge, still hate to lose anyone. We need staff stability but I understand the business.

Big Jerm needs to bring down Freddie Kitchens and Tosh as a package deal.

Of course, I would kill to see the Cooter back in Knoxville.

Reactions: onevol74 and Ratvol
I'm okay with Friend for now. He really got the line to play well down the stretch with the injuries. Of course, that may have been Chaney taking over.
I agree with this. Our line has steadily improved and is at it's best when the chips are down. It should be a strength next year. Friend has done a good job.

Reactions: VolForLife83
This would kill our Memphis recruiting, at the same time we have major competition coming over there from Kiffin.

David Johnson is leaving Tennessee for Florida State per Bruce Feldman.

Wonder if we see any other coaches leave......

One guy I hope we could make a run at is Tosh Lupoi since Browns are making changes.

I have no problem with Johnson leaving at all..Time to go get Jay Graham to coach our RB's.

He's not exactly been good on the recruiting trail, nor developing our backs. Won't hurt us much, if any at all imo.

This 100%..Him leaving won't hurt Memphis recruiting, not like we kill it in Memphis with him here. He definitely hasn't developed or brought in any elite RB's..A chance to upgrade the RB Coach position.

VN Store

Back