Coaching Buyouts The Past Three Decades

Price of Incompetence. With that said, don’t penalize the new Ad, coach, and administration.

Some schools pay handsomely for competent coaches. Then there are schools like UT that pay high prices for incompetent coaches. I guess since we don't win at hiring competent coaches, at least we lead the NCAA in hiring incompetent coaches. And have since 2008.

Fault? The administration of this school. Until the Board of Trustees decides they want to be good in athletics again, this will just continue time after time to choose the incompetent ones. Get used to it.

Don't forget the buyouts they paid to the former universities of the incoming coaches. I think it was about $6 million to UCF just for CJH and AD Danny Write.

You know Butch turned out to be a dud without Dobbs and company but for a few seasons in what seemed like FOREVER we were excited, beat FL, beat GA twice if my memory serves me correct Getting old?? , beat a ranked SCjr, played bama tough as hell at their place and with a kicker we win that game, ranked #9 in the country, now all of that came crumbling down and have not a thing to show for it but we had that excitement even if for just alittle while. I know I cherry picked the good, we won't discuss the bad (there was alot more of those and I'm sure we all remember) not trying to bad mouth the man but he was a shady dude

You know Butch turned out to be a dud without Dobbs and company but for a few seasons in what seemed like FOREVER we were excited, beat FL, beat GA twice if my memory serves me correct Getting old?? , beat a ranked SCjr, played bama tough as hell at their place and with a kicker we win that game, ranked #9 in the country, now all of that came crumbling down and have not a thing to show for it but we had that excitement even if for just alittle while. I know I cherry picked the good, we won't discuss the bad (there was alot more of those and I'm sure we all remember) not trying to bad mouth the man but he was a shady dude

I knew in ‘15 with the losses to Fla, Bama and Arky that he was not going to get it done. If not for Dobbs making something out of nothing with his legs, he would have been gone in ‘16!

Few years older than me. I’m a class of 86 Rebel... had some good friends from Huntland
I really thought Mac and that Wing T of his was going to bring y’all back to glory.

So, by my calculations (including what everyone has posted plus assistant coaches over the last 15 years), we are at about 34 million!
Considering how low Majors buyout was, I would say we are averaging over 2 million a year for the last 16 years. So, instead of paying a coach 3-4 million to lose, we really have paid 5-6 million to lose. Maybe, we should try a new strategy of hiring a winner for 7 million?

Ah, just before Rogers got there.

Rodney Rodgers coached us for two years and we did great with him. 9-1, lost @Chapel Hillls my Junior year.

Buster Mooney before him and some loser Stetson? (punt/quick kick on 3rd down bozo my senior year).

Saw were Rodney Rodgers passed about 5 years ago. RIP

So, by my calculations (including what everyone has posted plus assistant coaches over the last 15 years), we are at about 34 million!
Considering how low Majors buyout was, I would say we are averaging over 2 million a year for the last 16 years. So, instead of paying a coach 3-4 million to lose, we really have paid 5-6 million to lose. Maybe, we should try a new strategy of hiring a winner for 7 million?
Tried that. No takers.

Rodney Rodgers coached us for two years and we did great with him. 9-1, lost @Chapel Hillls my Junior year.

Buster Mooney before him and some loser Stetson? (punt/quick kick on 3rd down bozo my senior year).

Saw were Rodney Rodgers passed about 5 years ago. RIP

There was another Rogers that came to Huntland. At one time he was at Page, maybe as an assistant the in Georgia for a while then back to Middle Tn. I believe he ended up principle and coach at your alma mater. Seemed he had a lot of success where ever he went.

There was another Rogers that came to Huntland. At one time he was at Page, maybe as an assistant the in Georgia for a while then back to Middle Tn. I believe he ended up principle and coach at your alma mater. Seemed he had a lot of success where ever he went.
Morris Rogers

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I have to agree to a certain extent. I have not contributed a million to any of those buyouts. However, I think had there been competent people on the Hill, all of that money may have been an investment rather than a waste and thus the program would have more pride.

Yeah you did. Every time gas prices went up at Pilot, we all were paying for them. We just didn't know it.

Yeah you did. Every time gas prices went up at Pilot, we all were paying for them. We just didn't know it.
How’s they manage to make all the other stations follow suit? 🤔

With the payday of Steele, I wonder what the total wasted money is. I do know Money spent on head coach buyouts just under the past three decades for has been astronomical! To go back to '92 and originating with Majors buyout through the buyout of Jones is incredible.

First, starting with Dooley. That fiasco costed 7.5 million but only 5 million went to him. The rest to assistants. This is less than the 6 million Fulmer was paid. The biggest discrepancy is that Dooley was only here for three years and contributed almost nothing whereas Fulmer spent 16 years and won trophies and games.

http://archive.knoxnews.com/sports/...imated-75-million-ep-358772569-356094291.html

Next is the Fulmer buyout.

Fulmer to step aside as Tennessee coach

As we all know this was a 6 million dollar buyout. This was the reward for 16 years, two SEC titles, four SEC games and one NC. Now, this is on top of the salary he was already paid to deliver. The note on this is that it is a large increase from the previous coaches (Majors) buyout. Remember, this is inflation over a 16 year period, however. Cost of just doing business in major college football.

Next up is Majors' buyout. It was common knowledge at the time that his buyout was $600,000. At the time, that was considered a large amount of money, but far less than the millions dooled out (pun intended) to Fulmer and later coaches. As the article below states, Johnny wasn't legally owed that much but that amount was negotiated. It also states that the total amount was just over $500,000 not the $600,000 that was supposedly common knowledge but I rounded it up any way.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/s...ball-majors-may-be-out-but-he-s-not-down.html

Next is the $8,260,000 buyout of Butch. Of course that was mitigated by the $35K per year Bama gave him.

Former Tennessee football coach Butch Jones hired by Arkansas State

Actually, something like $7,500,000 or so more than the rounded up version of Majors buyout, which was 25 years Earlier. Still, that is alot of money! It comes to a staggering increase over Fulmers first buyout a little more than a decade ago. Just to state how times have changed.

Before this deal with Pruitt, we had paid somewhere just under $20,225,000 in just coaching buyouts over the past 25 or so years. This does not include Fulmers second buyout or his salary nor does it include the (at least four) coaches buyouts from Pruitt tenure. These figures also do not include the salaries of head coaches or assistants nor the buyouts of all of the assistant coaches throught the years who were not retained by new coaching staffs, just the head coaces buyouts.

That is a lot of money to have shelled out for nothing to show for it. I wonder what the total amount would be if assistant coaching buyouts were added up and included. Then the actual salaries before the termination.
Luckily the pockets of the Haslams and co are getting drained and it is zero consequence to the common folk.

Outside of it being tumultuous turnover, I am all for them wasting their absurd excess of money to give us the product that they have. Very fitting for their legacy.....

VN Store

Back