Coaches who are sons of Coaches...

knox73

Vols have had a number of head football coaches whose fathers were coaches - including the great Johnny Majors.

Kind of interesting that 4 of 5 recent Vol coaches were sons of coaches:

Lane Kiffin - Monte
Derek Dooley - Vince
Butch Jones - Well Butch was not an athlete himself
Jeremy Pruitt - Dad is high school coach

Josh Heupel - Ken Heupel - College football head coach

A couple more articles on Josh that are interesting

ESPNMAG.com - Believe the hype

Bigger Faster Stronger

Above has pics of Josh as a little kid... I know there is always hype around a college head coach and Heisman candidate but Josh has a most interesting pedigree for sure.

Vols have had a number of head football coaches whose fathers were coaches - including the great Johnny Majors.

Kind of interesting that 4 of 5 recent Vol coaches were sons of coaches:

Lane Kiffin - Monte
Derek Dooley - Vince
Butch Jones - Well Butch was not an athlete himself
Jeremy Pruitt - Dad is high school coach

Josh Heupel - Ken Heupel - College football head coach

A couple more articles on Josh that are interesting

ESPNMAG.com - Believe the hype

Bigger Faster Stronger

Above has pics of Josh as a little kid... I know there is always hype around a college head coach and Heisman candidate but Josh has a most interesting pedigree for sure.
Nick Saban, Kirby Smart and Shane Beamer are also to name a few more.

Reactions: knox73
CJH I beleive is a little different, he played at a high level, OU and won a Natty plus was a Heisman runner-up. He then coached for many years as a QB coach then OC, developing and coaching Heisman candidates at the same P5 school. He went on to Utah State and further refined his offense before going to Mizzou, where he dismantled us. Then CJH took off to UCF and here we are.

CJH is much different than our three previous "coaches", they did NOT play and start and win at a high level, don't give me crap that Cornbread played at Alabama - he road the damn pine. CJH was a head coach with a proven offense . . . Two of the previous three were head coaches - Dooley with a losing record and Botch riding Chip Kelley's success.

CJH followed Scott Frost but improved the offense and allowed his defensive staff to do their jobs.

CJH played and coached for Stoops, yes Stoops fired CJH but it probably was the best thing to happen for CJH growth as a coach.

All of this being said, I think we have a coach, not an elitist (Dooley), a carnival barker (Jones), or ignorant Alabubba hick (guess).

I have pulled for every coach we have had since CDD (Coach Doug Dickey) and I pulled for the three arses above and I will support CJH.

I think that CJH is lightening in a bottle on offense, if his defensive staff can produce . . . We will have some memorable games in the very near future!

GBO

Edited: Removed Mark . . . it was a Stoops!! LOL Thanks for the correction @kyvol98 . . . where do you live in KY? We're in Greenville.

Last edited:
Played for Bob, not Mark. Mark is the one I see at Kroger from time to time.

Paul Tyson..............Bear's Grandson, will be a great coach one day. As George Plaster likes to say........"Book it.":cool:

This is also a pretty good article....The more I read, the more I like Josh Heupel.

Growing Up Gridiron
Great article. In some ways, Josh reminds me of Peyton. Like this:
Peter Kerasotis in Growing up Gridiron said:
Steve Svendsen has been coaching football for 33 years and he’s never had a player like Josh Heupel. “He’s the most prepared athlete, and I mean meticulous in his preparation, that I ever had,” says Svendsen, who coached Josh at Aberdeen Central and is now the head coach at Caney Creek High School in Conroe, Texas. “He wanted to know everything.”

Svendsen recalls times when he’d watch game film with Josh at the school’s field house or at his own home and “he’d wear me out. I’d have to tell him, ‘Josh, it’s 10 o’clock and I’ve got to go to bed.’ ”

CJH I beleive is a little different, he played at a high level, OU and won a Natty plus was a Heisman runner-up. He then coached for many years as a QB coach then OC, developing and coaching Heisman candidates at the same P5 school. He went on to Utah State and further refined his offense before going to Mizzou, where he dismantled us. Then CJH took off to UCF and here we are.

CJH is much different than our three previous "coaches", they did NOT play and start and win at a high level, don't give me crap that Cornbread played at Alabama - he road the damn pine. CJH was a head coach with a proven offense . . . Two of the previous three were head coaches - Dooley with a losing record and Botch riding Chip Kelley's success.

CJH followed Scott Frost but improved the offense and allowed his defensive staff to do their jobs.

CJH played and coached for Stoops, yes Stoops fired CJH but it probably was the best thing to happen for CJH growth as a coach.

All of this being said, I think we have a coach, not an elitist (Dooley), a carnival barker (Jones), or ignorant Alabubba hick (guess).

I have pulled for every coach we have had since CDD (Coach Doug Dickey) and I pulled for the three arses above and I will support CJH.

I think that CJH is lightening in a bottle on offense, if his defensive staff can produce . . . We will have some memorable games in the very near future!

GBO

Edited: Removed Mark . . . it was a Stoops!! LOL Thanks for the correction @kyvol98 . . . where do you live in KY? We're in Greenville.
Live in Lexington BigDave. Been out your way a couple time. Hey, you get a pass being from KY. Mark mentioned more often than Bob! :)

Reactions: BigDave
Live in Lexington BigDave. Been out your way a couple time. Hey, you get a pass being from KY. Mark mentioned more often than Bob! :)

Oh I'm not from Kentucky . . . just stuck living here!! LOL Born in Tennessee, raised all over then damned place and graduated from our beloved UT!!! LOL We're actually looking to move to East Tennessee in the next few years . . . and I can't wait!!

GBO

VN Store

Back