Coaches Hot Seat Watcher

Fans of big programs like our own really have trouble understanding the lower level of expectations at smaller programs. They assume that other programs have that same level of expectation. People on VN are like "Stoops is overrated because he hasn't made or come close to making an SECCG." UK has never come close to making that game. Why is he being judged to that standard? He isn't judged to that standard by their fans. Historically, UK is the 2nd or 3rd worst program in SEC history.

What Stoops has done is won double-digit games twice, finished in the top 20 twice, and won 2 NYD bowl games in the last 5 seasons, which no other coach they've had has ever sniffed.
Bear Bryant won two New Years Day bowl games at Kentucky(7-0 win over Oklahoma in the 1951 Sugar Bowl and a 20-7 win over TCU in the 1952 Cotton Bowl).

The right coach can win there. Somehow Sonny Dykes couldn’t.
Tough place to get certain players in because of the academics. Jeff Tedford very briefly had them in the top 15-ish range in the mid 2000s, but they've had virtually no success in the modern era outside of that. It probably takes a really, really special coach to be successful there; kind of a similar deal to Stanford.

Sonny Dykes being Cal's HC was one of the most fish-out-of-water hires in recent memory.

The right coach can win there. Somehow Sonny Dykes couldn’t.

There really isn't a school in Cali that shouldn't be doing well if we're being honest. Stanford has a case because of academic requirements, but they prove you can field a good team even with high standards.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Tough place to get certain players in because of the academics. Jeff Tedford very briefly had them in the top 15-ish range in the mid 2000s, but they've had virtually no success in the modern era outside of that. It probably takes a really, really special coach to be successful there; kind of a similar deal to Stanford.

Sonny Dykes being Cal's HC was one of the most fish-out-of-water hires in recent memory.

You have to be able to land some players at CAL that is for sure or hope to get good players that S CAL didn't have room for. The 2006 squad that UT beatdown had some insane talent on offense in Craig Stevens, Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett, Desean Jackson, and Lavelle Hawkins. They also had some standout players on defense with Sydquan Thompson, Desmond Bishop, Thomas Decoud, and Zack Follett. Probably leaving out quite a few from that team. Looking back, it is a little crazy how we were able to dominate a team with that much talent.

Reactions: 05_never_again
You have to be able to land some players at CAL that is for sure or hope to get good players that S CAL didn't have room for. The 2006 squad that UT beatdown had some insane talent on offense in Craig Stevens, Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett, Desean Jackson, and Lavelle Hawkins. They also had some standout players on defense with Sydquan Thompson, Desmond Bishop, Thomas Decoud, and Zack Follett. Probably leaving out quite a few from that team. Looking back, it is a little crazy how we were able to dominate a team with that much talent.
In 2006, they were shook by the environment. I don't think there's any doubt about that. In fact Tedford and some of their players I think mentioned it after the game.

In 2007, they beat us by 2 TDs in their house and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

Athlon online said Scott Frost is a major candidate for the head football coaching job at South Florida.

He really needs to step down for 2-3 years to a coordinator gig. Rebuild his brand a little bit and then hopefully rehabilitate himself enough to get a other P5 job.

He goes to USF this off-season and bombs, his career is over

He really needs to step down for 2-3 years to a coordinator gig. Rebuild his brand a little bit and then hopefully rehabilitate himself enough to get a other P5 job.

He goes to USF this off-season and bombs, his career is over
I think USF is an open grave for head football coaches right now. I wouldn't mind Scott Frost being the next Tennessee OC if Alex Golesh becomes Georgia Tech head football coach or leaves for another head coaching opportunity.

Fans of big programs like our own really have trouble understanding the lower level of expectations at smaller programs. They assume that other programs have that same level of expectation. People on VN are like "Stoops is overrated because he hasn't made or come close to making an SECCG." UK has never come close to making that game. Why is he being judged to that standard? He isn't judged to that standard by their fans. Historically, UK is the 2nd or 3rd worst program in SEC history.

What Stoops has done is won double-digit games twice, finished in the top 20 twice, and won 2 NYD bowl games in the last 5 seasons, which no other coach they've had has ever sniffed.

As late as September, KY fans thought this weekend would decide the East. It is safe to say a good chunk of KY fans are upset with Stoops especially with his meddling in the offense.

I think USF is an open grave for head football coaches right now. I wouldn't mind Scott Frost being the next Tennessee OC if Alex Golesh becomes Georgia Tech head football coach or leaves for another head coaching opportunity.

Frost runs the Chip Kelly Blur style offense, a very run heavy offense. It is totally different conceptually than ours. It's a big no thank you for me, though I was a big fan of Frost. I actually wanted him to coach her when he went to Nebraska. That being said I'll keep the Heuper Air Raid we run.

Last edited:
As late as September, KY fans thought this weekend would decide the East. It is safe to say a good chunk of KY fans are upset with Stoops especially with his meddling in the offense.
There's a difference between fans being upset with Stoops and him being near or on the hot seat.

A few random comments on this fine group of coaches:

Pry will get another year or two to show improvement at VT. Everyone knows Fuente drove the car in the ditch.

Venables gets more time. Bringing in a DC to run an offensive minded program was always going to be rocky at first.

Sark needs a QB - that kid that played against TCU is going to get him fired.

Drinkwitz is so-so at best but Missouri has so many problems from AD to university level culture, firing the coach is solving the least of their problems.

A few random comments on this fine group of coaches:

Pry will get another year or two to show improvement at VT. Everyone knows Fuente drove the car in the ditch.

Venables gets more time. Bringing in a DC to run an offensive minded program was always going to be rocky at first.

Sark needs a QB - that kid that played against TCU is going to get him fired.

Drinkwitz is so-so at best but Missouri has so many problems from AD to university level culture, firing the coach is solving the least of their problems.
Missouri is falling to the level they were in the Big 8 from the Mid 1980s to the Mid 1990s.

Here's the latest Top 30 Coaches Hot Seat List

View attachment 514307
Don’t understand how Butch could be on the hot seat coming off that close 2 point win at home over 1-9 umass and the huge crowds he is drawing to games

Brick by brick and life championships being won right there.

Don’t understand how Butch could be on the hot seat coming off that close 2 point win at home over 1-9 umass and the huge crowds he is drawing to games

Brick by brick and life championships being won right there.

Didnt they just give this goof an extension?

Somehow, I don't think his buyout from that rats nest is gonna be as big as the one he got from UT.

Butchy better enjoy it, this is looking like the end of the line for him in terms of coaching.
Butch can always open a car wash he got a lot of experience doing that when he was Nick Saban's Gofer

VN Store

Back