Coach Wink on the qbs

Sounds promising. Again, his responses indicate what JG was previously weak on and needed to improve.

He lists pretty much everything I've criticized... and others like k-town said weren't problems.
I didn't hear him say a single time that JG holds onto the ball too long, that he takes too many sacks or that he just throws up 50/50 balls as many have claimed. I did hear him say a couple of times that JG is a very cerebral QB and was developing nicely, working on his consistency and offensive tempo. My opinion is that JG has had HORRIBLE QB coaching the previous 3 years that has limited his growth at the position. That combined with bad line play and no running game is a recipe for disaster, yet somehow he's put up positive numbers for the most part. Also sounded like in the interview that ball security is an important part of what this staff teaches and JG just happens to rate #1 in the country in this category. You've changed your tone recently about JG going from he's terrible to whatever you'd call your stance on him today. Most analysts who study the position think JG is progressing nicely and many think he's positioned himself for a good season, I'm in their boat. I think he's gotten better every day, I think he's the clear leader of our football team and despite poor coaching the last 2 years he's still continued to improve. If he stays healthy and the line holds up he's going to have a big year I feel. All of you haters still holding a grudge for his attitude after getting benched behind one of the worst starting QBs we've ever put on the field need to go listen to how this kid carries himself today, listen to him show regret for his actions and watch how hard he works to get better every day, do that and you just might change your view of him.

I'll say this first since many on your side of this argument have a tendency to not actually read what others write but rather read what they think others "must mean". I have always said JG has potential if he overcame some of the things Weinke indicates JG is now doing better and working at. I have never "hated" the kid... quite the opposite. I'm a UT fan. I am FOR anyone who helps UT win. He's our guy and I want nothing less than an ALL SEC season for him.

I didn't hear him say a single time that JG holds onto the ball too long, that he takes too many sacks or that he just throws up 50/50 balls as many have claimed.
No. He said that he had worked hard to improve and had been great... then listed things he had worked on. Those are things I've told some were weaknesses. If they weren't weaknesses... then why on earth mention them as areas he had improved in.

I did hear him say a couple of times that JG is a very cerebral QB and was developing nicely, working on his consistency and offensive tempo. My opinion is that JG has had HORRIBLE QB coaching the previous 3 years that has limited his growth at the position.
I would agree with that... along with pretty much every OL for ALL of Jones' tenure.

That combined with bad line play and no running game is a recipe for disaster, yet somehow he's put up positive numbers for the most part. Also sounded like in the interview that ball security is an important part of what this staff teaches and JG just happens to rate #1 in the country in this category.
All coaches value ball security. But if you asked them if they would trade a couple of INT's for 2900 yds vs 1900 yds... they'd all tell you yes.

You've changed your tone recently about JG going from he's terrible to whatever you'd call your stance on him today.
Maybe you have me confused with some of the "noise" from a handful that really do think JG is a lost cause. I have not said he was "terrible". On numerous occasions, I have responded against those who claimed he would never be any good. I believe I have been very realistic and fair in my criticism. That has "triggered" some folks here who will say he has weaknesses then bristle at any level of detailed criticism.

I do not believe he has read D's well and particularly pre-snap. He HAS struggled to make timely decisions. That has contributed to him holding the ball too long and often taking unnecessary hits. I have worried that he like some others just did not have the capacity to do those things well. That isn't a statement on general intelligence. Some people just think slower naturally.

I have always loved the ball he throws. He's tough. He stumbled early with attitude but appears to have corrected himself and become a leader. I think he has untapped physical talent in abundance IF he overcomes the mental issues. This article was VERY encouraging in that respect. I started to become more hopeful when Chaney was hired. Chaney helped turn around Crompton who was a basket case. JG has never fallen to that level.

Most analysts who study the position think JG is progressing nicely and many think he's positioned himself for a good season, I'm in their boat. I think he's gotten better every day,
I am hopeful. But I'm a "show me" kind of guy.

I think he's the clear leader of our football team and despite poor coaching the last 2 years he's still continued to improve.
He appears to be becoming "a" leader. He's going to need some help. Hopefully Jennings and someone on that OL.

If he stays healthy and the line holds up he's going to have a big year I feel.
If the line stays healthy and JG gets the ball out faster... I think all will have a big year.

All of you haters still holding a grudge for his attitude after getting benched behind one of the worst starting QBs we've ever put on the field need to go listen to how this kid carries himself today, listen to him show regret for his actions and watch how hard he works to get better every day, do that and you just might change your view of him.
Hmm, here's the facts. I've never been a "hater". I've been a critic and I'll stand by every comment. I have consistently said I thought he could be really good if he overcame some of his weaknesses... even if OL play didn't become stellar.

Funny how you have to be a "hater" just to support JG. Why is that? Dormady beat him out. Jones very obviously didn't expect or want that. Comments from the team made it clear that Dormady had won the competition. If he's the "worst" in his first and only 5 starts with less than the full support of his coach... then what would that make JG running the same team and performing worse overall after Dormady went out?

Beating up Dormady who is no longer a Vol... doesn't make any sort of case against discussions of JG's weaknesses. It might seem like a good diversion... but it isn't'.

Oh, I was willing to both defend and criticize Dormady. But on the whole, I like guys who take some chances and try to push the limits. QD made mistakes doing that. Whether those mistakes were correctable will never be known. Many of the issues I have criticized with JG relate somewhat to not taking enough risks or pushing things enough. Again, Weinke's comments seem encouraging.

Sounds promising. Again, his responses indicate what JG was previously weak on and needed to improve.

He lists pretty much everything I've criticized... and others like k-town said weren't problems.
You're seriously obsessed with my opinions. And being so obsessed I would think you could at least get them right.

Reactions: The Original Fade
I'll say this first since many on your side of this argument have a tendency to not actually read what others write but rather read what they think others "must mean". I have always said JG has potential if he overcame some of the things Weinke indicates JG is now doing better and working at. I have never "hated" the kid... quite the opposite. I'm a UT fan. I am FOR anyone who helps UT win. He's our guy and I want nothing less than an ALL SEC season for him.

No. He said that he had worked hard to improve and had been great... then listed things he had worked on. Those are things I've told some were weaknesses. If they weren't weaknesses... then why on earth mention them as areas he had improved in.

I would agree with that... along with pretty much every OL for ALL of Jones' tenure.

All coaches value ball security. But if you asked them if they would trade a couple of INT's for 2900 yds vs 1900 yds... they'd all tell you yes.

Maybe you have me confused with some of the "noise" from a handful that really do think JG is a lost cause. I have not said he was "terrible". On numerous occasions, I have responded against those who claimed he would never be any good. I believe I have been very realistic and fair in my criticism. That has "triggered" some folks here who will say he has weaknesses then bristle at any level of detailed criticism.

I do not believe he has read D's well and particularly pre-snap. He HAS struggled to make timely decisions. That has contributed to him holding the ball too long and often taking unnecessary hits. I have worried that he like some others just did not have the capacity to do those things well. That isn't a statement on general intelligence. Some people just think slower naturally.

I have always loved the ball he throws. He's tough. He stumbled early with attitude but appears to have corrected himself and become a leader. I think he has untapped physical talent in abundance IF he overcomes the mental issues. This article was VERY encouraging in that respect. I started to become more hopeful when Chaney was hired. Chaney helped turn around Crompton who was a basket case. JG has never fallen to that level.

I am hopeful. But I'm a "show me" kind of guy.

He appears to be becoming "a" leader. He's going to need some help. Hopefully Jennings and someone on that OL.

If the line stays healthy and JG gets the ball out faster... I think all will have a big year.

Hmm, here's the facts. I've never been a "hater". I've been a critic and I'll stand by every comment. I have consistently said I thought he could be really good if he overcame some of his weaknesses... even if OL play didn't become stellar.

Funny how you have to be a "hater" just to support JG. Why is that? Dormady beat him out. Jones very obviously didn't expect or want that. Comments from the team made it clear that Dormady had won the competition. If he's the "worst" in his first and only 5 starts with less than the full support of his coach... then what would that make JG running the same team and performing worse overall after Dormady went out?

Beating up Dormady who is no longer a Vol... doesn't make any sort of case against discussions of JG's weaknesses. It might seem like a good diversion... but it isn't'.

Oh, I was willing to both defend and criticize Dormady. But on the whole, I like guys who take some chances and try to push the limits. QD made mistakes doing that. Whether those mistakes were correctable will never be known. Many of the issues I have criticized with JG relate somewhat to not taking enough risks or pushing things enough. Again, Weinke's comments seem encouraging.
Had half a paragraph written going to bat for you before I got a phone call and it erased. The meat of what I was telling him was you’ve always been neutral in the debate and people would’ve have realized that if they had only read what you wrote instead of forcing an argument that made you appear to be a “hater”.

Reactions: sjt18
He's older than you think. Dude was 26 when he showed up to play at FSU.

You might just have the goat of avis now. What I would pay to see UT truck Florida like that again. Phillips checking the time in the endzone was pure swagger.

You're seriously obsessed with my opinions. And being so obsessed I would think you could at least get them right.
You could stop lying already. You are the cult leader... you just make a good "example" of those who were too blind to see weaknesses where they existed and to dumb to know that a "critic" isn't someone's enemy but often someone who just wants a person to improve.

Its nice to see that for the first time in his collegiate career, JG has a legit QB coach. I hope CW stays for awhile and has a chance to coach up Bailey.
I think you are right. Glad the NCAA added the extra coach. There's a chance JG wouldn't have gotten as much help if they hadn't.

Coach WInk looks old. That makes me feel old.

Here's my one wish this season. We're able to see what JG can do when he's not taking a helmet to the chest or back every play. We know he's tough, give him some pass protection and let's see what's up. I think we'll like the results.
He was old in college as a qb😄

Hey, we are all (at least 98% of us) getting old and fatter!!

Wait till you hit 50!! You will gain weight without even eating!!

It's called the gym, guys. I'm 52 and my brother is 54. We both workout 4 days a week. (I'm in MD, he still lives in Ktown). It takes a lot more effort in your 50's, but it can be done. I weigh the same now as I did in my 20's. I will say this though, when I take longer than a month off of the gym, that's when I start feeling old and everything hurts. But as long as I'm getting that exercise and stretching in. I'm good. And the wife loves it too!

Coach WInk looks old. That makes me feel old.

Here's my one wish this season. We're able to see what JG can do when he's not taking a helmet to the chest or back every play. We know he's tough, give him some pass protection and let's see what's up. I think we'll like the results.

I honestly think that's more of the reason why Coach Chaney is in there with the OL providing more help as opposed to Coach Friend not doing his job as well as he should, which some here may think. CC knows the importance of keeping his QB as clean as possible so his offense can run effectively and he wants to make clear the message to the OL to get better and fast. Of course, JMO.

It's called the gym, guys. I'm 52 and my brother is 54. We both workout 4 days a week. (I'm in MD, he still lives in Ktown). It takes a lot more effort in your 50's, but it can be done. I weigh the same now as I did in my 20's. I will say this though, when I take longer than a month off of the gym, that's when I start feeling old and everything hurts. But as long as I'm getting that exercise and stretching in. I'm good. And the wife loves it too!

I agree to an extent. I am now in my 60's with major heart problems, can't get to the gym much, can only exercise limited time. About the only way to keep the weight off is portion control unless you go to all veg. diet.

It's hard for me to maintain at 192 lbs at 5'10. If I ate the way I wanted to, I'd get to 230 in no time!!

I honestly think that's more of the reason why Coach Chaney is in there with the OL providing more help as opposed to Coach Friend not doing his job as well as he should, which some here may think. CC knows the importance of keeping his QB as clean as possible so his offense can run effectively and he wants to make clear the message to the OL to get better and fast. Of course, JMO.

Right. I think the complaint for some about JG is his awareness and not getting the ball out. Yeah, that was part of it. It's also even more reason to buy him that extra second or two. JG is actually pretty efficient, he just doesn't put up huge numbers.

VN Store

Back