Coach stands up against the courts to support Title IX rights.

Loved the half court, 6 on 6 game in the ‘70s! But I appreciated the transition to full court and what it meant in terms of opportunity for women and for our competitiveness internationally. So it was great to see women cross that line…like this lady—she crossed that line! Check it out!

Loved the half court, 6 on 6 game in the ‘70s! But I appreciated the transition to full court and what it meant in terms of opportunity for women and for our competitiveness internationally. So it was great to see women cross that line…like this lady—she crossed that line! Check it out!

I could watch that all night long. 😀

I could watch that all night long. 😀
Probably one, if not the greatest minute or two showcasing Candace’s all around skill set. Prior to that steal and outlet for the dunk Candace was going to the left hand on a midrange shot (not a layup) and Lobo was commenting that UConn was going to have to bring the double team because Parker was starting to take over the game…

A series or two later, she gets the pass from Spencer and dunks, then gets the block and recovery, then brings the ball down court like a point guard and dishes a no look pass to Anonsike for the layup. One of the greatest things I’ve ever witnessed.

Probably one, if not the greatest minute or two showcasing Candace’s all around skill set. Prior to that steal and outlet for the dunk Candace was going to the left hand on a midrange shot (not a layup) and Lobo was commenting that UConn was going to have to bring the double team because Parker was starting to take over the game…

A series or two later, she gets the pass from Spencer and dunks, then gets the block and recovery, then brings the ball down court like a point guard and dishes a no look pass to Anonsike for the layup. One of the greatest things I’ve ever witnessed.
Love that she did all that in Geno’s house. 😁

Well that’s too cool, Chuckiepoo, I never knew that. Another win by Pat, she just knew how to get things done. 😎

This is one of the many reasons Pat is remembered as one of the great pioneers of the women's game. As a Tennessean who was aware of all this at the time it was happening, believe me when I say that she drew a lot of ire from a lot of people who thought she was WAY out of line to try to change "the way things had always been done in Tennessee."

Fortunately there were more than enough people who heard Pat's testimony and believed her when she said she wouldn't recruit inside Tennessee that they finally decided they really should just go ahead and evolve with the rest of the country.

Pat was a force of nature, and a Tennessee treasure.

Interesting article. Good ancient history lesson. The problem is there are several of us on this site who actually lived during or played during this long ago time. By the late 50's (my high school time) there were many of us kids who thought 6 on 6 was a laugh. I dated a young lady who started 3 years on offense and her "outside" (not pivot) counterpart could have both played "full court" with ease and would have loved to have done it. I had a sister-in-law who played during the mid 50's as an offensive center, over her 4 years she averaged nearly 30 points per game. She always told me she would have loved to have played "full court".

Interesting article. Good ancient history lesson. The problem is there are several of us on this site who actually lived during or played during this long ago time. By the late 50's (my high school time) there were many of us kids who thought 6 on 6 was a laugh. I dated a young lady who started 3 years on offense and her "outside" (not pivot) counterpart could have both played "full court" with ease and would have loved to have done it. I had a sister-in-law who played during the mid 50's as an offensive center, over her 4 years she averaged nearly 30 points per game. She always told me she would have loved to have played "full court".
The final battle played out my junior year at ORHS. We were also embroiled in the pre game prayer controversy the following year.

Reactions: savannahfan
The final battle played out my junior year at ORHS. We were also embroiled in the pre game prayer controversy the following year.

Was that the one in which the team chaplain called for fire and brimstone to rain down upon the opponents' leading scorers and rebounders each game?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Was that the one in which the team chaplain called for fire and brimstone to rain down upon the opponents' leading scorers and rebounders each game?
Heh…no. Emory Hale, the HC always lead the team in The Lord’s Prayer on the field, immediately before kickoff, right after the invocation. As I remember it, it’s been awhile, it came to a head prior to our playoff game against Johnson City Science Hill. Court order injunction, Emory was forbidden to lead the prayer. So the team captains lead the prayer and the game began. 0-0 midway into the second quarter, and an undersized TE, me, caught a touchdown that broke it open. Scored two more touchdowns before halftime, and finished 50-0, Wildcats. JCSH prolly would have rather let Emory lead the prayer 🙏

Last edited:
Reactions: Putbacks
6 0n 6 basketball was absolutely just as exciting as 5 on 5 if the teams were competitive and well coached. Loved it back in the day. Pat was wrong! imvho

Reactions: feathersax
6 on 6 would have been better than nothing, which is what girls in Indiana had until the 70s --- my sister constantly reminds me of this fact --- at my high school, there were zero girls' sports, and in grade school, all they had was dodgeball (which actually was lots of fun for players and fans alike)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My Dad wrote letters to Pat after she said that she would not recruit players from TN. He was so upset. Pat wrote him back explaining her side. Whole family looked everywhere for those letters when he passed knowing he still had them. Sadly never could find. Will always wonder where he hid them
Check his bible..

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Another reason why she is THE greatest of all time! She did more for women’s athletics than most and definitely more for women’s basketball than anyone before or after!
I am so glad I got to be a witness to the Pat Summitt era!
Man she was a good one, on and off the court!
GBO!!

VN Store

Back