Coach Pearl Ejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

OWB

Never
Staff member
Tennessee men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl was ejected from the West High School gym during the Rebels' game Thursday night after criticizing the officiating of a Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association official. Near the end of the fourth quarter of West's 72-63 overtime victory over Campbell County, official Shane Mynatt stopped play and asked that the first-year Vols coach leave.

"I said it loud enough for him to hear that maybe he should change ends with the other official,'' Pearl said. "And he looked at me, and he put the whistle in his mouth like I was coaching and he was going to give me a technical.

"I said, 'What, are you going to throw me out?' And he ran over to security. Before anything could happen, I just left the gym and went to the concession stand.''

:lol: He really does like to work doesn't he?

Is there a worse job on earth than being a high school basketball referee? :lol:

Well, the coaches admitted that Pearl really didn't do anything. Pearl and the crowd around him were all yelling at the ref. Pat Ryan said it was as if the ref singled Pearl out of the crowd.

Pearl said afterwards...

"I take my responsibility as being a role model seriously,'' Pearl said. "I want our fans to behave, and I want them to be enthusiastic. I really didn't do anything that rose to any level. I understand I can be a target.

"What I realize now is I have to be perfect -- I can't say anything to any official,'' Pearl said. "Is it fair? Maybe not. But that's just the reality of it.''

People were raisin' hell about this over at CoachT earlier. Some people were calling for Pearl's head claiming, 'same old Knoxville, no class' etc. :lol:

Sounds like a guy who just got a lesson in what it's like to be a celebrity.

(tidwell @ Feb 3 said:
People were raisin' hell about this over at CoachT earlier. Some people were calling for Pearl's head claiming, 'same old Knoxville, no class' etc. :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure none of them have ever yelled at a ref. That has nothing to do with class. If it's a bad call or if he missed a call, the ref deserves to know about it. We're all just trying to make them better. :biggrin2:

yeah... they were throwing the "he should be a ROLE MODEL FOR CRIPES SAKE!" crap out there... as if it is "ok" for the other perfectly sane adults to regularly yell at refs.

GA said it best, Pearl learned a lesson in being a celebrity.

He was just being a father at that game I think. They said his son was getting killed and there weren't any calls. Him being the father and the passionate coach that he is makes for a lethal combination.

I think it's pretty funny myself.

Are you kidding me? Dads at every youth league in the country yell the whole game. That's Sports, baby. We all yell at the TV every game we watch. Welcome to Hollywood.

(Orangewhiteblood @ Feb 3 said:
Yeah, I'm sure none of them have ever yelled at a ref. That has nothing to do with class. If it's a bad call or if he missed a call, the ref deserves to know about it. We're all just trying to make them better. :biggrin2:
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's a load. Coach should have the same right to beeatch as any other parent. However, it's great to see he understands his position and is representing our school with a dignified presence.. :yes:

Shows some testicular circumference if you ask me...Like any father, " hey my kid is trying to play ball, with another kid on his back." Yeah he's coach Pearl, but in no way did he turn Lou Ferrigno on the ref.

Attachments

• Ferrigno_JS0683.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 41
Criticizing him for this is ridiculous. If what he said at that game (going off the report) got people kicked out then every high school gym in the state would be practically empty. This was a case of a ref being on a power trip and thinking he is big and bad because he can throw a college coach out of the gym. I think that ref should be suspended by TSSAA.

Reactions: 207 others
If Pearl was doing no more than an average dad at an average HS game, then it sounds to me like the Ref was using Pearl's notoriety to quieten all of his detractors.

If that's the case, then the ref is a coward.

Good refs have to take it. There's no rule that says a fan can't be loud. As long as profanities aren't being thrown around, the ref is supposed to take the heat.

Don't you just love those rabbit ear officials. They can hear a pin drop in a roaring crowd. But they can't see two feet in front of them. Too bad they are sooo blind. :matrix: .

I think it's funny. and he summed it up nicely with the comments about being perfect etc....

Bruce Pearl is a competitor. He want's to win, he want's his son to win. It's this drive in him that makes him a great coach. As long as he doesn't use profanity,use personal comments,or get physical I have no problem with him letting a ref know when he has screwed up. The energy he has brought to this program has been long overdue.

(PineyBluff Vol @ Feb 4 said:
Don't you just love those rabbit ear officials. They can hear a pin drop in a roaring crowd. But they can't see two feet in front of them. Too bad they are sooo blind. :matrix: .

:lolabove:

(PineyBluff Vol @ Feb 4 said:

:lol: :lol:

I think it is funny,as was stated the ref was on a power trip & he should be suspended by Tssaa,coach pearl did nothing more than the normal joe he just got singled out because who he was!

A point that hasn't been made was that the Ref actually recognized the basketball coach at Tennessee,lol.

(Orangewhiteblood @ Feb 3 said:
He was just being a father at that game I think. They said his son was getting killed and there weren't any calls. Him being the father and the passionate coach that he is makes for a lethal combination.

I think it's pretty funny myself.
I don't care if I was from cam cnty it would still make me high-five him....you are right OWB....let the guy have a "regular" parent-son relationship with his son w/o the politics. A true professional ref would have pointed at him and made a joke or something to disarm. Hitler tactics do nothin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back