Coach Kellie Harper Previews The 2019-2020 Season

Kellie.... I hope I'am not over stating ---- the seconding----
Her answer (leader of team) you're looking at her.
Must have more intensity for 40 minutes.
Proud that parents trust me with their young lady.
Starting with teaching 12 freshman....

These things ---- second coming ----

Kellie.... I hope I'am not over stating ---- the seconding----
Her answer (leader of team) you're looking at her.
Must have more intensity for 40 minutes.
Proud that parents trust me with their young lady.
Starting with teaching 12 freshman....

These things ---- second coming ----
She has the presence of a young Pat Summitt:cool:

I enjoyed watching that video and I gathered some impressions about Coach Kellie that I would like to share. First, what you see is what you get. She's not a pretender or a BS artist, she tells it as she sees it. Second, she is a very good listener and gives everyone she speaks with, in a serious way, her undivided attention. She's not flippant or egocentric. You can also see her love for teaching the game which is what any good coach must have, a love of teaching. She is thoughtful and perceptive and I imagine she sees a lot more than she lets on, and knows when not to notice something. Also, she won't suffer fools gladly. If you're not serious about being the best you can be she'll show you the door, politely of course. :)

I'm excited and acutely interested in seeing what Coach Kellie gets done here back on Rocky Top, where she belongs.

Last edited:
She has the presence of a young Pat Summitt:cool:

"Presence" GALORE. That's the word I was searching for in the back of my mind as I was watching that.

I swear, if you can listen to what she had to say and not feel tremendously proud that Kelly Harper is our leader, then I'd be worried about my health if I were you. Zombies may have come in the night and eaten your brain. lol But seriously... wow! That's how you do a dang press conference!

If you didn’t watch, Kellie said:
•Zaay, Jaz & Horston will share point guard duties and all 3 may be on the floor at once
•our team is working on discipline & developing good habits
•Rennia’s defense has improved but still a work in progress
•Zaay is a hard worker and special
•In the exhibition Kellie wants the players to be focused every possession

another example as others have said that she spoke - straight talk, and handled questions well. I thought during the interview that I believe some of our boarders would have asked more relevant questions than some of the TV sports reporters (smile).
I particularly liked her stating all the players are freshman playing with coach kelly for the first time. Excellent approach.

I haven't watched it but did she scratch her head? I suspect not. I think you guys have a winner and I hope some of the more critical fans here can ct her some slack and give her a couple of seasons to right the ship.
As a UConn fan I want to see UT back in the hunt. There was nothing better in WCBB when UConn and UT competed.

I haven't watched it but did she scratch her head? I suspect not. I think you guys have a winner and I hope some of the more critical fans here can ct her some slack and give her a couple of seasons to right the ship.
As a UConn fan I want to see UT back in the hunt. There was nothing better in WCBB when UConn and UT competed.
Thank you brassie

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I enjoyed watching that video and I gathered some impressions about Coach Kellie that I would like to share. First, what you see is what you get. She's not a pretender or a BS artist, she tells it as she sees it. Second, she is a very good listener and gives everyone she speaks with, in a serious way, her undivided attention. She's not flippant or egocentric. You can also see her love for teaching the game which is what any good coach must have, a love of teaching. She is thoughtful and perceptive and I imagine she sees a lot more than she lets on, and knows when not to notice something. Also, she won't suffer fools gladly. If you're not serious about being the best you can be she'll show you the door, politely of course. :)

I'm excited and acutely interested in seeing what Coach Kellie gets done here back on Rocky Top, where she belongs.
I was just reading an article on the LV and wondering what type of coach she would be. I am looking forward to watching and I hope you and others here are right.

I was hoping someone would ask her a question about the post players. We did get a little on Kashi but really hoping that Key is gonna be a huge contributor as a freshman especially on defense. I think Emily will need some time to be effective at this level. McCoy has some experience but the players she will be going up against will be far better than she has seen on the JC level. Still have to see where Brown is after the injury a year ago.

Three players with poor offensive numbers as freshmen hopefully are dramatically improved. Green, Burrell, and Massengill all had low levels of efficiency in field goal shooting as freshmen. Green scored but it took way to many shots per game for her to get to the point total she contributed. If they all reach a level in efficiency close to what Rennia has done this is gonna be a fabulous team on the offensive end of the court.

I like that Rennia is far better defensively she was terrible last season. Defense has to be way better and I think it will be.

Volfan2012, I am anxious for information on any progress made by the post group, too. I'd love to see a noticeable improvement by mid-season because I think if they aren't at LEAST in good condition to sprint the floor regularly, boxing out consistently, and getting more "desire rebounds" (meaning the kind that you REALLY have to put in extra effort and focus to be in on), then they might have some issues. What I'd LOVE to see is the emergence of a real shot-changer of a post presence, which Tennessee will definitely need to made a decent run in the Tourney.

I agree on Saunders needing more time. My take on her, just from occasionally seeing players' social media posts, is that she'll benefit from a year or two more of maturity. I'm not sure she's quite ready to focus on the right "B" word yet. lol

Volfan2012, I am anxious for information on any progress made by the post group, too. I'd love to see a noticeable improvement by mid-season because I think if they aren't at LEAST in good condition to sprint the floor regularly, boxing out consistently, and getting more "desire rebounds" (meaning the kind that you REALLY have to put in extra effort and focus to be in on), then they might have some issues. What I'd LOVE to see is the emergence of a real shot-changer of a post presence, which Tennessee will definitely need to made a decent run in the Tourney.

I agree on Saunders needing more time. My take on her, just from occasionally seeing players' social media posts, is that she'll benefit from a year or two more of maturity. I'm not sure she's quite ready to focus on the right "B" word yet. lol
The importance of a post game and post defense in the SEC is the difference between winning and losing. I know that in the past Kellie's teams have always been very good in the post didn't always have the shooters they needed especially at NC State.

Reactions: lvocd
7cfef861-2509-4679-9cc4-ca274015bc00-KNS-bball_event_76.JPG

Jessie Rennie Tennessee Media Day.

7cfef861-2509-4679-9cc4-ca274015bc00-KNS-bball_event_76.JPG

Jessie Rennie Tennessee Media Day.
Jessie looks strong — like someone who will not be afraid of contact. If she can increase her lateral quickness, I have a good feeling that she’ll be the type of hard-nosed player who will take a charge for her team. Can’t wait to see how soon Kellie will be able to incorporate Jessie’s three-point shot into the offense.

Jessie looks strong — like someone who will not be afraid of contact. If she can increase her lateral quickness, I have a good feeling that she’ll be the type of hard-nosed player who will take a charge for her team. Can’t wait to see how soon Kellie will be able to incorporate Jessie’s three-point shot into the offense.
Hopefully she can become another Kellie Jolly :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back