Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

I totally agree! I consider myself a supporter vs fan. Kellie had said all preseason that the team looked like a top 5 team on paper, but putting that on the court was another story. She’s always said the rebounding or lack there of, was a concern. We’re not the only team with multiple transfers to start the season struggling. Texas and Louisville are also struggling to integrate their transfers with their rosters. One thing I love about Kellie is that she doesn’t publicly throw her players under the bus. Franklin made a mistake and dribbled after the rebound and then called a timeout so they couldn’t advance the ball and would have had to burn the last timeout to advance it. She didn’t feel that there would be a problem with Jordan getting it up the court and then they called her for the travel. Listening to Brian, it was obvious how bad the officiating was, not that I’m blaming them, but I really think they’ll put it all together.

Coach Harper needs to do something about the huge number of turnovers....one game this year with 29. She needs to adopt the Coach Barnes method. In practice, if a player commits a turnover, he has to run from the floor to the top of the arena and back. If that method is applied, there are usually less than 9 or so in a game.

And since the 29 against Ohio State, they’ve turned it over 18 times in a win over UMass, 15 times in a loss to Indiana, 21 times (only 7 by the starters) in a blowout win over Rutgers, and 14 each in losses to UCLA and Gonzaga.

I realize there are some people that aren’t happy with any number of turnovers, and certainly the 14th against Gonzaga was a killer, but this narrative that they’re a turnover-prone disaster and that’s why they’re losing just isn’t accurate. 29 was unacceptable. But the numbers suggest that it was addressed as you suggested that it should be.

They need to turn the corner and start winning games. We had high expectations for this team this year, for good reason. Two losses are to current top 8 teams. From what I saw on the crummy FloHoops feed, UCLA is good thanks to the addition of that transfer PG. Tennessee is better than Gonzaga, but they’re picked to win their conference. But I’m not going to be over alarmist right now.

They need to win out until Stanford, then take their shot and try and prove they belong in that game.

If I were writing a letter to Kellie, I would tell her to disregard the Nega noise as most of it comes from fans of other schools who desperately want her to fail, and the next coach and the coach after that. They could care less about the program. I would also tell her that there are countless fans that want her and the team to succeed.

I never understand these "I'm 100% behind the coach" posts. I mean, 100%? Until when? There's no breaking point?

I'm not making any pronouncements on Harper, but my 100% support is for Tennessee. The coach is immaterial to me. I support keeping the coaches which bring Tennessee success and support not keeping the ones who don't bring the (Lady) Vols success. 2-4 is not good. I hope it improves. If it does, great. If it doesn't, then we should head in a direction which ensures we do improve upon where we it now.

The proverbial punch(es) in the mouth has happened.
The first couple of times it rocked the team/bench and neither reacted well.
But in the Gonzaga game, we didn't just roll over and take it,,,we fought to the very end.
Now we know how important it is to throw the punch first. Or at least, throw a punch back.

I saw a lot of growth in this one game...In this past game against Gonzo we; Didn't give up multiple >7 pt runs,,,we didn't go into spasmatic periods of unforced turnovers,,,We were in this game right up to .2 seconds,,,our turnovers were reduced. Support from the bench was much more visible and vocal. A lot of positives came out of this last game.

A win, sure, we wanted,,,,But growth,,,,we needed.!

I'm pretty vocal out her and pretty visible.
I gave Coach K "what for" in the past as well, but now this org need fans to show true fanship.
Its time to decide as fans if we want to be part of the problem or part of the solution.
A lot of talk on here about other programs/coaches talking down TN,,,but here it is,,,the fodder that lets them talk.

Folks, people read this "back yard fence talk"
Players, staff, families, fans, prospects, foes-fans, trolls,,,,,Everybody's wondering about the negativity spread to dis-sway prospects and recruits well here it is...and we are fueling this fire.

First it was the players, then the head coach, then Jon, then Joy....Is Coach Sam next?
And they don't just get it here, they get it on other SocMedias
The whole program knows this site and many read it.

This staff went out and explored a new option (portal) and built a team that on paper should make a serious title run.
We still have those players and they are impacting this program.
How about we use at least ONE thread and support them.

Kellie, I am 100% behind you and will stay that way.
Jon, Joy, Sam you have my full support.

VolNation,,,its time to show we can support as strongly as we have shown we can reprimand

Go Lady Vols!
I am member of the lady facebook and two tennessee facebook groups. Isaw where horston mother commit on them and other family members of players. on what fans say.

If I were writing a letter to Kellie, I would tell her to disregard the Nega noise as most of it comes from fans of other schools who desperately want her to fail, and the next coach and the coach after that. They could care less about the program. I would also tell her that there are countless fans that want her and the team to succeed.
Tennessee football called for phil farmer to get fired. Still not come close to 1998. Phil was better than four year you are out of bunch tennessee has hired. Is coach now the right one do not know. Are players fighting do not know. Some was bad off on the gamecocks game.

Overall I think the board is mostly positive. You figure out the 8 to 10 negatives really fast. Not saying they don't have a right to be negative if that is their sincere desire, but the ones talking about firing are so far off line they don't even realize it. They might have a case in about three years depending on how things go, but they are on level zero right now. Even being conservative I counted that we should get about 16 wins in the next 20 games of the season and it could be a lot more really hard to see it being less unless we just give up and don't play.
Maybe volnation should say point of view posters only. Lady vols nor volnation agree with all commits!

Maybe volnation should say point of view posters only. Lady vols nor volnation agree with all commits!
Yes it has gotten to where they don't really bother me since none of them have any real power just a bunch of mouthing off. If we had played a different schedule and were 6 and 0 they would complain about the schedule being to easy. There will always be something just have to let it ride and just post and do what you like to do here and let them have their say. I don't even know they are here unless they post on something I posted. That is the only time I will ever say anything to any of them,

Tennessee football called for phil farmer to get fired. Still not come close to 1998. Phil was better than four year you are out of bunch tennessee has hired. Is coach now the right one do not know. Are players fighting do not know. Some was bad off on the gamecocks game.
Well, that was an illuminating post. Try logic & clarity next time :rolleyes:o_O, OK?

Yes it has gotten to where they don't really bother me since none of them have any real power just a bunch of mouthing off. If we had played a different schedule and were 6 and 0 they would complain about the schedule being to easy. There will always be something just have to let it ride and just post and do what you like to do here and let them have their say. I don't even know they are here unless they post on something I posted. That is the only time I will ever say anything to any of them,
The record is what it is, playing a different schedule not filled with Carson Newman is a unknown based on losing all the games to teams ranked lower than us at the time. Could be 0-6 and anything in-between to 6-0. Win the games you’re supposed to win, not doing that right now.

I never understand these "I'm 100% behind the coach" posts. I mean, 100%? Until when? There's no breaking point?

I'm not making any pronouncements on Harper, but my 100% support is for Tennessee. The coach is immaterial to me. I support keeping the coaches which bring Tennessee success and support not keeping the ones who don't bring the (Lady) Vols success. 2-4 is not good. I hope it improves. If it does, great. If it doesn't, then we should head in a direction which ensures we do improve upon where we it now.

I agree, I too am all about the university.
Not about a particular coach
but right now Kellie is our coach, and as such, until I personally have a reason to do otherwise,,,I fully back her.

I know what she is going through.
This past season in E-80 basketball, I had a team that on paper looked like a beast.
We were pitiful....I was ready to quit coaching all together.

The record is what it is, playing a different schedule not filled with Carson Newman is a unknown based on losing all the games to teams ranked lower than us at the time. Could be 0-6 and anything in-between to 6-0. Win the games you’re supposed to win, not doing that right now.

We will, Major,,,we just didn't come out of the gate doing so.
trust the process

The proverbial punch(es) in the mouth has happened.
The first couple of times it rocked the team/bench and neither reacted well.
But in the Gonzaga game, we didn't just roll over and take it,,,we fought to the very end.
Now we know how important it is to throw the punch first. Or at least, throw a punch back.

I saw a lot of growth in this one game...In this past game against Gonzo we; Didn't give up multiple >7 pt runs,,,we didn't go into spasmatic periods of unforced turnovers,,,We were in this game right up to .2 seconds,,,our turnovers were reduced. Support from the bench was much more visible and vocal. A lot of positives came out of this last game.

A win, sure, we wanted,,,,But growth,,,,we needed.!

I'm pretty vocal out her and pretty visible.
I gave Coach K "what for" in the past as well, but now this org need fans to show true fanship.
Its time to decide as fans if we want to be part of the problem or part of the solution.
A lot of talk on here about other programs/coaches talking down TN,,,but here it is,,,the fodder that lets them talk.

Folks, people read this "back yard fence talk"
Players, staff, families, fans, prospects, foes-fans, trolls,,,,,Everybody's wondering about the negativity spread to dis-sway prospects and recruits well here it is...and we are fueling this fire.

First it was the players, then the head coach, then Jon, then Joy....Is Coach Sam next?
And they don't just get it here, they get it on other SocMedias
The whole program knows this site and many read it.

This staff went out and explored a new option (portal) and built a team that on paper should make a serious title run.
We still have those players and they are impacting this program.
How about we use at least ONE thread and support them.

Kellie, I am 100% behind you and will stay that way.
Jon, Joy, Sam you have my full support.

VolNation,,,its time to show we can support as strongly as we have shown we can reprimand

Go Lady Vols!

This is a good start to a mini novel.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

We all are for Tennessee. Just some here get viewed negatively for pointing out the arriving view in advance (last year) that others have now gotten too. Honesty get confused with “negativity” or trendy “nega”

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376
and this year we didn't try to do that
we scheduled heavy competition right out of the gate

this team WILL mesh.
between JH, RJ, JP,,,one of them will step up and become the voice and leader needed on the floor
glad we agree on that….play the schedule and find a way to win. Those same teams didn’t back down from us or the brand.

I mudcat write how i want to. Fans call for phil head not seen no better coaching or team building yet. Jury still out on vol football coach now. Should have kept football out of ladys talk.

Well, that was an illuminating post. Try logic & clarity next time :rolleyes:o_O, OK?

Hey feather,,,You will need to learn to speak "mudcat" bc mudcat ain't learnin a new way of speakin

We all are for Tennessee. Just some her get viewed negatively for pointing out the arriving view in advance (last year) that others have now gotten too. Honesty get confused with “negativity” or trendy “nega”

agree,,,but the difference between punishment and abuse is "one more lash"
This board has profusely let the entire org know they are not impressed
but to keep throwing new threads and personal attacks has crossed the line into abuse.
I'm just not cool with that

I too posted a negative post or two,,,but at some point I have to bring em in, give em a hug and tell them I still love them,,,if I don't,,,I am no better than the true negavols

VN Store

Back