Coach K to retire after 2022 season

A name I haven't seen thrown out there yet, Bobby Hurley. He was doing a good job at ASU up until last season, but with Covid its hard to hold that against him.
Could very well be the next Duke coach around the same time Wes Miller becomes UNC’s head coach.

Reactions: golfballs
I think if they’re going to stay in the family you already know what you have with a Capel, Collins, Amaker, Wojo (just got fired) and Dawkins. With Scheyer he’s a young guy who is unknown that can create some buzz with recruits .

For all of you saying this is a curtain call for K and that Roy didn’t do that, did you see that shitshow in Chapel Hill this Spring with the players jumping ship left and right and bringing in a minimal recruiting class? I think the timing of this has way more to do with recruiting and establishing Scheyer as the coach in waiting and allowing himself to have this time to ease into the role and sell Duke as his team.
The Saban coaching tree is only topped by the K coaching tree in terms of suckitude of former assistants; except for maybe the Harvard edition of Amaker.

Reactions: BUBear
Scheyer was lead recruiter for Tatum and Zion. I think that’s why they end picked him. Could be like Hubert Davis, a family guy to follow the legend for a couple of seasons, then go after a big name.

maybe someone in Raleigh is smart enough to take advantage of these two retiring....I can only hope.....Go Pack!

Reactions: golfballs
maybe someone in Raleigh is smart enough to take advantage of these two retiring....I can only hope.....Go Pack!
I would actually like to see State make a return to consistent success. I think Keatts is a good coach. If State doesn’t take advantage of this I don’t know that they ever will get back to where they once were. I think State has a 3 year window here where they can make a real run at improving the program and try to gain some ground on Duke and Carolina. I say 3 years because if Scheyer and Hubert don’t work out, Duke and Carolina won’t miss twice. There won’t be any family loyalty. It will be an arms race to hire the big name guaranteed winner to get back to winning ways. State has to take advantage of this.

Reactions: Pappy and NashVol11
I always thought Tommy Amaker or the guy who used to coach Missouri that played for Coach K would get the nod when he retired. He has a legacy of guys who played and are very good coaches. Duke is not the easiest place to recruit so anything they can do to link the program back to Coach K the better off they'll be as a men's basketball program.

I always thought Tommy Amaker or the guy who used to coach Missouri that played for Coach K would get the nod when he retired. He has a legacy of guys who played and are very good coaches. Duke is not the easiest place to recruit so anything they can do to link the program back to Coach K the better off they'll be as a men's basketball program.
Quin Snyder? He’s one of the top five coaches in the NBA. I don’t think you give that up to back to college. Plus his time at Mizzou didn’t go so well. Both on and off the court.

Amaker has had his opportunities at some big time schools and it didn’t work out . I think he’s pretty happy being in the situation he’s in now at Harvard. Quinn Snyder is definitely a pro coach and had some issues while at Mizzou. Outside of Brad Stevens he’s the only coach who I would’ve considered a home run hire, but that wasn’t realistic.

Reactions: NashVol11
Amaker has had his opportunities at some big time schools and it didn’t work out . I think he’s pretty happy being in the situation he’s in now at Harvard. Quinn Snyder is definitely a pro coach and had some issues while at Mizzou. Outside of Brad Stevens he’s the only coach who I would’ve considered a home run hire, but that wasn’t realistic.
Not only that, but I was reading Amaker's Wiki page last night and saw a quote where he avoids the press and does not do a radio or TV show. That's fine at Harvard, obviously would not fly at Duke.

Not only that, but I was reading Amaker's Wiki page last night and saw a quote where he avoids the press and does not do a radio or TV show. That's fine at Harvard, obviously would not fly at Duke.
Tommy Amaker is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. He was a very good college player and is a pretty good coach, but he’s too soft spoken for a job like Duke. I didn’t know that stuff about the media, but that doesn’t surprise me.

It’s a ten month ego trip. Rationalize it as you wish.
I can see why some might say that, but at the same time I think he just made every game tougher on his team. Duke always has a bullseye on its back regardless if they’re good or not, and everyone knowing that this is K’s last hurrah is going to have every their team even more focused than usual. Even if other schools go the route of wishing Coach K a happy retirement and do some rocking chair BS before the game, it takes focus away from the game and away from the players.

There’s no doubt K has an ego and it maybe involved some, but I doubt think that’s the motivating factor in choosing when to announce it.

Last edited:
@RDU VOL#14 , you seem like a good fella, but by and large the Dook alums and fans I have encountered over the years are arrogant, entitled, and generally insufferable. That, and the endless butt kissing Dook and k receive from the sports media are the reasons I despise the program.

I am not looking forward to ESPN and Dook Vitale getting months to go slobbering all over Rat Face and the program as a whole.

I do question both UNC and Dook on their replacement choices, and agree this opens up a hole for NC State to rebuild. Time will tell.

@RDU VOL#14 , you seem like a good fella, but by and large the Dook alums and fans I have encountered over the years are arrogant, entitled, and generally insufferable. That, and the endless butt kissing Dook and k receive from the sports media are the reasons I despise the program.

I am not looking forward to ESPN and Dook Vitale getting months to go slobbering all over Rat Face and the program as a whole.

I do question both UNC and Dook on their replacement choices, and agree this opens up a hole for NC State to rebuild. Time will tell.
I appreciate it. I also get why people hate Duke and feel the way they do about Duke and K’s retirement motives. For me, I’m 39, I started going to Duke games when my parents moved to Durham in 1985 and just happened to become neighbors with Tom Butters, who was the AD at Duke. I’ve seen Duke from when it was viewed as the scrappy underdog team that always came up short grow into the way you and many others describe it now. I honestly miss the days of the 1990’s version of Duke when it was less of a business and a much more family atmosphere, but I guess you could say that’s all of college sports now. There’s not much grey area when it comes to Duke Basketball, it’s an “either or” situation more so than most places. So from my end you grow into role of embracing playing the villain because it gets old trying to sell things that you grew up with and there are also certain things that I recognize that kind of drive me crazy too, like a Dickie V or some of the antics of Wojo or a Chris Collins. One thing that I won’t concede is the rivalry with UNC being different than anything I’ve experienced. It’s just different. It’s more intense than anything we have because it’s everyone you know, you work with, go to school with, etc… I’ve described it as saying imagine Tuscaloosa or Gainesville was the same distance as Maryville or Oak Ridge. I hope sincerely hope that Scheyer and Hubert Davis can maintain the excellence of the 2 programs, especially because college basketball needs it. College basketball is in a bad spot right now and K and Roy retiring doesn’t really help either .

I appreciate it. I also get why people hate Duke and feel the way they do about Duke and K’s retirement motives. For me, I’m 39, I started going to Duke games when my parents moved to Durham in 1985 and just happened to become neighbors with Tom Butters, who was the AD at Duke. I’ve seen Duke from when it was viewed as the scrappy underdog team that always came up short grow into the way you and many others describe it now. I honestly miss the days of the 1990’s version of Duke when it was less of a business and a much more family atmosphere, but I guess you could say that’s all of college sports now. There’s not much grey area when it comes to Duke Basketball, it’s an “either or” situation more so than most places. So from my end you grow into role of embracing playing the villain because it gets old trying to sell things that you grew up with and there are also certain things that I recognize that kind of drive me crazy too, like a Dickie V or some of the antics of Wojo or a Chris Collins. One thing that I won’t concede is the rivalry with UNC being different than anything I’ve experienced. It’s just different. It’s more intense than anything we have because it’s everyone you know, you work with, go to school with, etc… I’ve described it as saying imagine Tuscaloosa or Gainesville was the same distance as Maryville or Oak Ridge. I hope sincerely hope that Scheyer and Hubert Davis can maintain the excellence of the 2 programs, especially because college basketball needs it. College basketball is in a bad spot right now and K and Roy retiring doesn’t really help either .

Dook and the real Carolina's rivalry is not eclipsed nationally. heck I remember back in the 60's, every time the Carolina yearbook and campus newspaper referenced anything concerning them, whether it was regarding sports or not, they spelled it DOOK. '10 miles to Hell' read the sign pointing Northeast from Chapel Hill

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Dook and the real Carolina's rivalry is not eclipsed nationally. heck I remember back in the 60's, every time the Carolina yearbook and campus newspaper referenced anything concerning them, whether it was regarding sports or not, they spelled it DOOK. '10 miles to Hell' read the sign pointing Northeast from Chapel Hill
Being a State fan I would think that you have a special disdain for Carolina more than anyone . Most State fans seem to hate UNC more than they actually love State. I have to hand it to you Pappy, you gotta be a glutton for punishment being a Vol fan and an Nc State fan. There hasn’t been a whole lot to cheer for these past few decades.

Last edited:
Being a State fan I would think that you have a special disdain for Carolina more than anyone . Most State fans seem to hate UNC more than they actually love State. I have to hand it to you Pappy, you gotta be a glutton for punishment being a Vol fan and an Nc State fan. There hasn’t been a whole to cheer for these past few decades.
NC State is one of the most underachieving athletic departments in existence. Up there with Georgia, although at least Georgia is good at football.

NC State is one of the most underachieving athletic departments in existence. Up there with Georgia, although at least Georgia is good at football.
NC State used to be consistently good in basketball back in the 70’s , 80’s and early 90’s. Once Duke started going to Final 4’s and winning titles beginning in 91 they just kind of became the little brother or the after thought in the Triangle. Football wise they’ve mostly fielded a competitive team for a long time . They’ve had great players like Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson and Tory Holt and they always have a QB getting drafted somehow, which is mind blowing considering our QB woes. State is always good enough to beat or scare a Clemson or FSU on a Thursday night in Carter Finley and just mediocre enough blow a game to Wake or Boston College the next weekend .

NC State used to be consistently good in basketball back in the 70’s , 80’s and early 90’s. Once Duke started going to Final 4’s and winning titles beginning in 91 they just kind of became the little brother or the after thought in the Triangle. Football wise they’ve mostly fielded a competitive team for a long time . They’ve had great players like Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson and Tory Holt and they always have a QB getting drafted somehow, which is mind blowing considering our QB woes. State is always good enough to beat or scare a Clemson or FSU on a Thursday night in Carter Finley and just mediocre enough blow a game to Wake or Boston College the next weekend .
They aren't terrible necessarily - just underachieving. If my memory is correct they had an entire defensive line drafted a few years ago (led by Bradley Chubb) but that team the previous year only won like 8 games.

They aren't terrible necessarily - just underachieving. If my memory is correct they had an entire defensive line drafted a few years ago (led by Bradley Chubb) but that team the previous year only won like 8 games.
It’s true. They always have a major piece of the puzzle and then the rest of the team is mediocre. The same could be said for basketball with a very good player like Dennis Smith jr that Gottfried paid for.

Being a State fan I would think that you have a special disdain for Carolina more than anyone . Most State fans seem to hate UNC more than they actually love State. I have to hand it to you Pappy, you gotta be a glutton for punishment being a Vol fan and an Nc State fan. There hasn’t been a whole to cheer for these past few decades.

indeed I do....many of my HS buddies are UNC alums & I used to really pi$$ em off on Facebook...lost several classmates...LOL

Scheyer was lead recruiter for Tatum and Zion. I think that’s why they end picked him. Could be like Hubert Davis, a family guy to follow the legend for a couple of seasons, then go after a big name.
LOL. Those guys both would have gone elsewhere if Scheyer was lead recruiter for them without Coach K there.

VN Store

Back