Coach Jumper

Coach, yr long question i want your insite on, Our Post. Namely, why late is Key not in more? We sub like crazy, and we stand a lot, when are legs have to be fresher, yet we seldom look better in 4th.
Now Key starts, great shot blocker, good not great rebounder, she does get pushed but she has a nice mid range shots, and passes in the bigs have been low, Key has huge reach, height advanrage for high passes, but the team hasn't seemed to evolve into passes which are the correct passes to start why?
KK second yr, off a lot, but can get going sometimes, 2nd yr to Keys 1 yr, yet I think at this point, and KK limited time in 1st year, experience is a wash. Key could, possibly should have been on all freshman team, but I don't see buy in, to get her ball up high ONLY & ALWAYS. And it seems she plays less in 2nd half in close games, and KK more, and certsinly in 4th, why is a starter not in game in 4th, not talking about when foul trouble, but heck, let her foul out, it seems KK will be playing then anyway. Why?

They figure out how to handle her and she has no second tier strategy…

Key has one go-to move, the reverse pivot jumper (RPJ). She can go strongside on a layup pretty good but that is it. No jump-hook to counter her RPJ. As soon as she gets the ball at mid-paint everyone knows she is going to do the RVJ and they collapse on her from the weakside. She has a good mid-range “one-step-in” from the elbow set-shot, but aside from those three things,,not much else. She passes up a lot of mid range shots she should go ahead and take, not sure why she doesn’t take the shot…But like I say, they figure her out very early and she has no second game(yet).

Thus, KK comes in to give a second look….Secondly Key hasn’t learned to use her height. A high hand for a lob feed and no one could stop her, yet all of her feeds seem to be low, as you point out. This is a communication issue, the receiver has to call for the pass the want or else they get the pass the passer wants to give. . . Third, Key hasn’t learned how to displace shorter posts, thus, KK comes in and matches up with the bulkier 6’2” or 6’3” posts…Finally, Key is even keeled in her facial expression. I as a coach can see when she goes into warrior mode, but others can’t and they mistake that for lack of aggression. Key is playing aggressive, but when she blocks a shot or makes a contested basket, she has a “matter of fact” face and the opponent doesn’t fear it.

When KK works her hardest, she can displace with the best of them and Kellie knows this. KK knows how to use leverage and she shows anger when she is on the court. so Coach K uses her when Key isn’t on because she knows what KK is capable of. KK is her own worst enemy in this though,,she doesn’t play every minute like it is her last one and that is why other players are coming in and taking the third section of minutes. Look at McCoy, she has a face I absolutely love,,,full of grit, beauty and determination all in one look. There is no mistaking that McCoy comes to play. From step one until she steps off the court,,,,Game Face!

I have often said I would like to work with TK and I would. I would work with her on all aspects of her post-game…emotion, offense and technique in not letting her height be used against her.

I had a co-worker 3 years ago who found out I both coached basketball and played pickup too. He asked me what position I played. I told him “any.”

He looked at me and said, “I could see you as a shooter or maybe a mid-range player but that’s all,,,,You’re the same height I am (6’1”) but I out weight you by 60 lbs…I’d push you all over the paint”…We were on a concrete floor and I said, “ok let’s see”……We set up with me behind him and his back to the wall, his task was to get closer to the wall by moving me….After he set himself up, I got behind him, put my right knee into the back of his right knee, put my trail foot behind me for support and let him try to move me,,,He leaned back, but since his knee was blocked all he could do was lean, he then tried to move his foot, but I had my knee firmly in his back-knee-pocket and was pushing his knee forward, so he had no leverage to use his legs…stalemate.

I say that to say this, KK is equal to height in the smaller posts and she has good pre-footwork so she can muscle with the best of them, Key is longer in length to her knee and she hasn’t learned the pre-positioning needed to combat players with bulk and lower center of gravity, thus KK gets the minutes when Key gets to the point of her learning,

Key has to develop an offensive counter move also,,,, an over-the-top of a defender game and she needs to learn technique on how to use her length to ouster a sturdier shorter post. This is why TK starts off stronger and goes to the pine at crunch time. She gets figured out.

What TK, you and everyone who follows UT basketball has to realize is that TK is one year out of HS and has always been taller than the girls she has played and possibly stronger than most of the girls she played in HS…But this is SEC and everybody has a bigger stronger post player than everybody else…NOW technique, off-season workouts and learning advanced skills and techniques will be the difference moving forward.

But for now, TK is right on track. She dominates in the way she feels strongest and I am good with that. I think her potential is off the charts. But to get there, she has to be taught. And that has to happen in the offseason…”Players are made in the off-season,,Teams are made during the season”

Thanks for that posting of Shannon, I love to see my former players get accolades...Usually in a more private setting though.

As visible as I am on this sight, I take pride in not namedropping the kids I worked with and staying off the internet grid.

In the more intense years in Atlanta, in a year I coached 3 to 4 teams (2 in the EMBL and 1 or 2 in AAU and sometimes mentored players during their school seasons,,,held 2 camps/clinics a year and had an "8-week "Summer Session Skills school" at Fullers Park...coaching around a hundred kids total a year. . . I have worked with over 2,000 female players in my lifetime.

This is one legacy I am very proud of.

Two mulligans and a scratch.....Destroy the film......

We are all going to go nuts without sports for a month or two, or more.
Wish you lived close to Pigeon Forge,,would love to shoot pool and shoot the shig with you, ol man

Now bout' one Mulligan and no scratch:
[VIDEO=] [/VIDEO]

Last edited:

VN Store

Sponsors