Coach Heupel's first year compared to other first year coaches

Also, Shane Beamer has done a good job at SC given what he’s working with too. You could make an argument that his 2 signature wins in the league are better than Heupel’s.
It would not be a strong argument. Kentucky has a better conference record (5-3) and a better overall record (8-3), than anyone that South Carolina has beaten.

... and then you have the 45-20 head to head matchup in favor of Heupel.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
While true, Beamer didn’t walk into anything close to what Heupel did. Beamer has good depth on defense. He also has a full roster. Heupel has neither.
... but what he posted is NOT true. Auburn and Florida are not better teams than Kentucky this season.

And how can you have this conversation without mentioning the head to head result?

For one, they did NOT have a starting scholarship QB. They also had even less players than Tennessee. I don't know what anyone is smoking in this thread, South Carolina was behind Tennessee in all preseason rankings. The East was like this:

Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Missouri
Tennessee
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

Both South Carolina and Vandy where behind Tennessee in preseason rankings. Granted, I am not taking anything away from Heupel. Both have done an amazing job but don't downplay what Beamer has done at South Carolina.
Tennessee kicked South Carolina's a$$. What the hell is the argument?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It would not be a strong argument. Kentucky has a better conference record (5-3) and a better overall record (8-3), than anyone that South Carolina has beaten.

... and then you have the 45-20 head to head matchup in favor of Heupel.

Beamer beat two ranked teams. Heupel has beaten one. Can’t spin that

Thats NOT saying Beamer is better than Heupel, just that his signature wins are better than Heupel’s

sorry, it was Auburn that has beaten 2 ranked teams. Not Beamer, but Beamer beat auburn, that was my point

Beamer beat two ranked teams. Heupel has beaten one. Can’t spin that

Thats NOT saying Beamer is better than Heupel, just that his signature wins are better than Heupel’s

sorry, it was Auburn that has beaten 2 ranked teams. Not Beamer, but Beamer beat auburn, that was my point
The only way you could argue this, is if you believe that Auburn is better than Kentucky, but what is that based on? Kentucky has better conference and overall records. Auburn is going to finish 6-6. Kentucky will probably finish 9-3.

True but South Carolina was in a WORSE position than even Tennessee coming into the season. You have to really rank coaches based on what they inherited. For example, Vandy's coach inherited the worse team so if he had won 6 games, I would put him at #1.

I would but Beamer as having best first year although Heupel is neck and neck with him. Beamer is recruiting better than Heupel right now as well.
So did South Carolina lose 21 players to the transfer portal? How many actual scholarship players do they have on the roster right now? Did he inherit a team with an NCAA investigation looming? Please define worse situation.

Dear Lord. We have gotten a coach that has energized this team like we haven’t seen in a decade or or more, and we have these kind of threads where some on here are debating we should have picked someone else that coaches a rival that we destroyed? Maybe the announcer was right to call some Tennessee “fans” idiots.

When a coach is at Alabama it's hard to assess him. First off Saban keeps them in line. The Texas coach had some baggage, hopefully, he's moved on from. So just looking at coaches that have been on teams with 4 & 5-star players in the 2 deep it's hard. We had seen Kiffen as an HC and he is a bomb getting ready to go off, rules-wise. Kirby is doing well but he walked into 4 & 5-star players 2 deep. Heck 3 of his QB1 -2 -3 on his 1st team went on to NFL. He's never had to steer a team like Hueple, Drinkwitz, or Beamer who IMO have all exceeded expectations.

Personally my dear, I don't give a flying f^*) how our coach compares to any other coach in the universe. It appears to most of us that he has exceeded our expectations and that is all that matters. The End.

Kirby Smart's QBs on his first team were (1) Greyson Lambert (2) Brice Ramsey (3) Jacob Eason. Where did you get they all went on to the NFL? The only one I know of is Eason and he's a benchwarmer. Who did Lambert and Brice play for in the NFL?

So did South Carolina lose 21 players to the transfer portal? How many actual scholarship players do they have on the roster right now? Did he inherit a team with an NCAA investigation looming? Please define worse situation.
I think he's comparing talent. We have three 5 stars on our team. S Car has none etc. Sure we lost many players but over half weren't gonna see the field. It opened spots where we can bring in better players.

While true, Beamer didn’t walk into anything close to what Heupel did. Beamer has good depth on defense. He also has a full roster. Heupel has neither.
Heupel has 78 scholarship players. Being that you can only carry 70 on away games he cant play every player on scholarship even if he wanted to. He has a full roster. And most teams play about 40-45 players a game unless it's a blowout and a few 3rd stringers get in to mop up. The first 2 teams are only 44 players (excluding kickers etc.) which is why the NFL has no problem with 53 players. What game this year did we play the entire 3rd string?

I think he's comparing talent. We have three 5 stars on our team. S Car has none etc. Sure we lost many players but over half weren't gonna see the field. It opened spots where we can bring in better players.
Everyone we lost at least contributed to depth during practice. The better the players are your starters are practicing against, the quicker they develop. We have two transfers that are on the team and players that were here that struggled to beat out what most consider the worst QB in UT history. They showed nothing better to the current coaching staff and now they are gone. Who knows if Maurer can beat his demons, or will. Bailey ball out where ever he ends up. Will JT Shrout get over his injury bug. Will Kaidon Salter grow up? You cannot possibly say that SC was in worse shape. Did you forget we went 3-7 last year and have had losing seasons 3 out of the last 5. We get a good coach and the grass is always greener crowd simply can't leave it alone. This coach has already shown he can motivate the team under bad circumstances. How much better can it get if those go away?

As a season ticket holder yes I know UT went 3-7 last year. I guess you weren't aware that S Car went 2-8 last year? We brought in the top running back from junior college. Also a 23 yr old 5th year senior at QB with lots of experience. S Car is playing a QB they got from a FCS team lol. You're entitled to your opinion but I seriously doubt Coach Heupel would trade this team for Beamer's.

Also, Shane Beamer has done a good job at SC given what he’s working with too. You could make an argument that his 2 signature wins in the league are better than Heupel’s.
Eh, agree to disagree
For me, my mentality was if we go 6-6 or 7-5, win a bowl and look competitive against Fla, GA and Bama and look like a good team at the end of the year, then I would say it’s an above average season. I believe if we had Hooker in all year, we would have a different looking record and Huepel would have been staring at COY. Still, the team that is on the field now seems like a completely different team than the team that began the season. Assuming we beat Vanderbilt handily and play well in a bowl game, it’s hard to argue that Beamer has done as good of a job IMO. The Florida team that SC destroyed is just not the team that destroyed us and played Bama hard for wherever reason. They had 4 losses going into that game and were unranked. I don’t consider a 5 loss, unranked Auburn team a signature win either. Plus, they got destroyed against competitive teams like GA, A&M, Tennessee and they lost to Missouri who we destroyed and KY who we beat. So, as of now, it looks as though Huepel has done a much better job. That said, there are some asterisks and one has already been mentioned. We have to beat Vanderbilt convincingly IMO. If SC beats Clemson, that will be a signature win IMO (Even though they have lost 3 games this year.) I also didn’t realize Beamer was playing with a 2-8 team where we were playing with a 3-7 team. Albeit, we lost some of our best players who almost all of which started this year for ranked teams.I think that’s enough to offset the one game difference from last year and make the statement that both pretty much had the same project.

If you compare rosters and every single sports writer we have worse roster than uscjr. Thats everyone.

???

Did you even read any of the preseason magazines? South Carolina was behind us in EVERY POLL. That was because their ROSTER was thinner than Tennessee.

As a season ticket holder yes I know UT went 3-7 last year. I guess you weren't aware that S Car went 2-8 last year? We brought in the top running back from junior college. Also a 23 yr old 5th year senior at QB with lots of experience. S Car is playing a QB they got from a FCS team lol. You're entitled to your opinion but I seriously doubt Coach Heupel would trade this team for Beamer's.

Thank you!!! Someone with logic.

Granted, Heupel has done one HELL of a JOB but so has Shane Beamer.

Reactions: irish1485
For me, my mentality was if we go 6-6 or 7-5, win a bowl and look competitive against Fla, GA and Bama and look like a good team at the end of the year, then I would say it’s an above average season. I believe if we had Hooker in all year, we would have a different looking record and Huepel would have been staring at COY. Still, the team that is on the field now seems like a completely different team than the team that began the season. Assuming we beat Vanderbilt handily and play well in a bowl game, it’s hard to argue that Beamer has done as good of a job IMO. The Florida team that SC destroyed is just not the team that destroyed us and played Bama hard for wherever reason. They had 4 losses going into that game and were unranked. I don’t consider a 5 loss, unranked Auburn team a signature win either. Plus, they got destroyed against competitive teams like GA, A&M, Tennessee and they lost to Missouri who we destroyed and KY who we beat. So, as of now, it looks as though Huepel has done a much better job. That said, there are some asterisks and one has already been mentioned. We have to beat Vanderbilt convincingly IMO. If SC beats Clemson, that will be a signature win IMO (Even though they have lost 3 games this year.) I also didn’t realize Beamer was playing with a 2-8 team where we were playing with a 3-7 team. Albeit, we lost some of our best players who almost all of which started this year for ranked teams.I think that’s enough to offset the one game difference from last year and make the statement that both pretty much had the same project.

It all sums up with Beamer beat Florida and we got killed by them. If you want to crown Heupel COY, than he should have done better against Florida. That doesn't take the fact away that Heupel has done wonders for UT and I am very glad to have him and his staff. Most fun and positivity to this program in years. However, Beamer has done similar wonders for South Carolina and I am leaning towards Beamer because he beat two Blue Blood Programs, Auburn and Florida.

We got beat by Florida 38-14.

It all sums up with Beamer beat Florida and we got killed by them. If you want to crown Heupel COY, than he should have done better against Florida. That doesn't take the fact away that Heupel has done wonders for UT and I am very glad to have him and his staff. Most fun and positivity to this program in years. However, Beamer has done similar wonders for South Carolina and I am leaning towards Beamer because he beat two Blue Blood Programs, Auburn and Florida.

I'm sorry, but when comparing the first season of Shane Beamer with that of Josh Heupel, you haven't summed it all up, without mentioning the outcome of the most relevant game :

Saturday October 9th, 2021

From Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee

SOUTH CAROLINA ... 20
TENNESSEE ................. 45

FINAL

I was there. That game was over before I had taken my first pi$$. Tennessee had the lead 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. It was 38-7 at halftime. Why are so many of you ignoring the head to head matchup ? It should be the most important factor of comparison. The bottom line is that the two teams played each other, and Heupel kicked Beamer's a$$.

Both programs were unranked. But we will just have to agree to disagree. Definitely not picking Huepel as COY at this juncture. I think Smart will win those honors if he gets the Dawes an NC.

Both programs were unranked. But we will just have to agree to disagree. Definitely not picking Huepel as COY at this juncture. I think Smart will win those honors if he gets the Dawes an NC.
In all honesty, both Tennessee and South Carolina have been mediocre at best. However, that is still slightly better than what was expected of them, with both teams clearly better than they were last year. I just don't understand why we have multiple posters to this thread siding with Beamer - without even mentioning the head to head result, which was a blowout from start to finish.

VN Store

Back