Coach English gets floored

I hope he’s not a foul machine like Fulky!
Calling Fulk a "foul machine" is a bit dramatic. He averaged 6.2 fouls per 40 minutes, which led the team as far as regular contributors, but isn't an egregious rate considering the number of minutes he typically played. The last player I remember thinking had promise as a player, but simply couldn't find a way to stay on the court without fouling, was Jabari McGhee. I would call a player like him, a foul machine.

Now, if Fulk is to be relied upon to be a larger contributor, that number will need to come down this year, and you have to hope an additional year of experience and added strength will aid in that. If we expect him to play 25 mpg, then that number needs to drop to somewhere around 4.5 fouls/40.

Calling Fulk a "foul machine" is a bit dramatic. He averaged 6.2 fouls per 40 minutes, which led the team as far as regular contributors, but isn't an egregious rate considering the number of minutes he typically played. The last player I remember thinking had promise as a player, but simply couldn't find a way to stay on the court without fouling, was Jabari McGhee. I would call a player like him, a foul machine.

Now, if Fulk is to be relied upon to be a larger contributor, that number will need to come down this year, and you have to hope an additional year of experience and added strength will aid in that. If we expect him to play 25 mpg, then that number needs to drop to somewhere around 4.5 fouls/40.
Faulk fouls a lot. I think Barns put him in to rough up the opponents. You watch. He will foul out more this year.

Faulk fouls a lot. I think Barns put him in to rough up the opponents. You watch. He will foul out more this year.
If Fulk fouls out more, it will be entirely based on playing time increasing, which we all expect. It's also why I suggested that if he is going to be relied upon to be a bigger contributor, then he'll have to get a better grip on the fouls. Again, I'm not saying he doesn't foul at a higher rate than other players on his team. I'm just suggesting that an additional year of experience, strength training, and added weight will hopefully curb that tendency and that calling him a "foul machine" is unwarranted hyperbole.

On that note, it's seems kind of silly to suggest that Rick Barnes is bringing in a kid who barely weighs 200 lbs and has been criticized for a lack of strength to rough people up. If CRB wanted an enforcer, he has had much better options.

Last edited:
Outstanding:

“They’re unbelievably competitive and they’re great kids and they have a great work ethic,” English said of the Tennessee basketball roster. “Those three things, I think, are done at an elite level here. Identifying guys with unbelievable character, great work ethic and great competitors. That’s different.
“I don’t want to put it against any places that I’ve been, but just from any place that I’ve been, I haven’t been around were those three things have been done at such a high level.”

VN Store

Back