Coach Change Chaos!

Overall, patience has declined. Especially in SEC. And it's a vicious cycle, coaches that might otherwise workout, get fired too early, making space for more unqualified, not ready for prime time replacements, to be victims of the "Peter Principle". AD are quick to fire, so why should coaches be more loyal than bosses and alumni? I would say even if a coach is winning, 10 years is max, then HC should move on. Unless HC is an alum like Kirby or Gundy. Are most coaches mercenaries? "Yes". But with the quick trigger most ADs and lack of patience with ADs, who can blame them?
And how much money is wasted each year in coaches' buyouts??

I would say that the problem is there are not enough Sabans out there. Let’s be honest, coaches like Saban, Day, and Swinney do not have magic wands. There are probably 25-30 schools that possess the resources where any coach who is willing to study, learn, and relentlessly work like Saban could build a true championship contender. Obviously, the more programs that find coaches who are willing to do this, the less likely any one of them has a dynasty but you will find more parity at the top where it’s not just 4-5 programs that are able to lay hands on the trophy. It amazes me how many very good coaches have underperformed at places where there is really no excuse. I think too many of them see the upper echelon job with the massive buyout as a destination rather than a launching pad.

Too many schools are paying half Saban money for 10% Saban results.

Reactions: VolDave53
The pay is too high. A coach takes a job, makes a couple of million a year for 3-4 years. Gets another million buyout and walks out a happy man.

I understand that it feels that way but he's a human being like the rest of them. He just has a different work ethic and he demands the same from the people around him.
Maybe. I have no idea if he outworks every other coach or not. I find it hard to believe that it’s just that as you hear that same thing about other coaches but it’s possible. I remember hearing Cris Carter (the NFL HOF WR) talking about his work ethic once. He said he thought he worked hard until he saw Jerry Rice’s routine. After that he realized if he wanted to be the best then he needed to step it up. Maybe Saban is Jerry Rice.

There are 130 Teams in Division 1 FBS Football. — There have been 60 (SIXTY!) Coaching changes since December 2019 until December 2021. — Nearly HALF of all Division 1 FBS Football! — Some might not seem to matter, but some seem to matter A LOT! It’s even worse when you put it on paper! So, here we go:

Akron; Appalachian St ; Arizona; Arkansas; Arkansas St; Auburn; Baylor; Boise St; Boston College; Colorado; Colorado St; Duke; Florida; Florida St; FAU; FIU; UCF; USF; Fresno St; GA Southern; Hawaii; Illinois, Louisiana; LSU; LA Tech, LA-Monroe; Marshall; Memphis; Michigan St; Missouri; Ole Miss; Mississippi St; Southern Miss; New Mexico; New Mexico St; Notre Dame; Oklahoma; ODU; Rutgers; San Diego St; South Alabama; USC; UNLV; South Carolina; SMU; Temple; Tennessee; Texas; TCU; Texas Tech; UTSA; Troy; UConn; UMass; Utah St; UVA; Virginia Tech; Vanderbilt; Washington; Washington St

Whether they were fired, went to another school - or just quit!

There is NO LOYALTY in college football anymore!
May work out for Gray if Lincoln keeps taking players to USC lol

VN Store

Back