2022 Pitt 27, 415

2021 Fla 38, 505
2022 Fla 33, 594

2021 Missouri 24, 396
2022 Missouri 24, 389

2021 SC 20, 370
2022 SC 63, 606

2021 Bama 52, 574
2022 Bama 49, 569 (42 O - how donā€™t know about D scores on any of these)

2021 KY 42, 612
2022 KY 6, 205

2021 Ga 41, 487
2022 Ga 27, 387

I just donā€™t see much progress. In fact if you look at the ā€œcupcakeā€ games Tennessee gives up huge yardsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦itā€™s ridiculous.

Serious lack of foot speed in the secondary. Iā€™m not sure how many elite athletes we have in the backfield. In fairness to Banks, it doesnā€™t seem like there are an inordinate number of missed assignments defensively, we just lack having multiple elite edge rushers and top notch talent in the backfield.

I didnā€™t need to edit my original post. Are you to lazy to look up stats yourself? Or to make a rebuttal post yourself?

My posts showing the KY games were about improvement. I showed the good and the bad. I didnā€™t need to do that with the post in question.

Th post was about porous defense. I donā€™t need to include every game or all defensive stats. My post speaks for itself.

Google is your friend if ā€œyouā€ need more try doing more yourself.

I was just kidding around...don't get your panties in a wad.
I don't follow you so I am not going to read all your posts to see if you corrected your mistakes.
A little touchy, sensitive and defensive aren't we.
FYI I only had to Google the KY Game from this year.
It was odd that you managed to get all the games from 2021 and missed 1 on 2022. So it was a 95 instead of a 100 you still get an A.
It's not your last post it was the one several pages back. Just for your information.
Thanks for doing the rest of the research.

I was just kidding around...don't get your panties in a wad.
I don't follow you so I am not going to read all your posts to see if you corrected your mistakes.
A little touchy, sensitive and defensive aren't we.
FYI I only had to Google the KY Game from this year.
It was odd that you managed to get all the games from 2021 and missed 1 on 2022. So it was a 95 instead of a 100 you still get an A.
It's not your last post it was the one several pages back. Just for your information.
Thanks for doing the rest of the research.

I donā€™t wear pantiesā€¦ā€¦ā€¦just too binding.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
FIRST POST......and it's all about Coach Banks.

I know it's always fun to sit incognito on message boards and hurl vitriol all over the chosen target for the day, month, season or year.

Coach Banks has been CHOSEN. The coach that had the GUTS to step in and take over when others turned us down. Do you know why others turned us down? Because COACHES do not want to tarnish or ruin their reputation, nor do they want to deal with the public scrutiny and backlash of taking over and running an OFFENSE or DEFENSE that's BAD!! They don't want to deal with the RISK of being associated with a DUMPSTER FIRE! And on top of that, coaches know, even though fans don't, that being a DC of a team that runs an offense like the one Coach Heupel runs, can be coaching suicide. The offense puts a strain on the defense, so you need speed, depth and play-makers, NONE of which TENNESSEE had at the time Coach Heupel took over.

TENNESSEE was a DUMPSTER FIRE before Coach Heupel took the job......remember that? Other Head Coaches wanted no parts of this job, we kept getting turned down. These (HC) were ESTABLISHED Brands and they were not willing to risk ruining their reputation as a HC to take over a program that was in COMPLETE shambles!! NO ESTABLISHED HC wanted any parts of the SANCTIONS, TRANSFER PORTAL EXODUS or the TARNISHED name of UT football attached to them. Coach Heupel had the GUTS to accept the challenge head on!!

He had his OC, but offered the DC job to lots of "named" coaches.......coaches that everyone was excited about. What happened? They ALL used us to get raises, but NO ONE was willing to take the chance......NO GUTS!!

Coach Heupel "SETTLES" for Coach Tim Banks as DC.....a "NO NAMER" in the eyes of the fan base, but a well respected coach in the profession known for improving defenses, getting the most out of "no name players" and sending them to the NFL (as he did at CENTRAL MICHIGAN, CINCINNATI, ILLINOIS and PENN STATE), as well as finding a way to WIN when rosters don't have the caliber of kids that are play makers on game day.....all of which we NEEDED at TENNESSEE!!

When Coach Banks took over the DEFENSE, he and his staff had NO one to work with, which is why everyone believed we'd only win 3-4 games in year one. He played with walk-ons, he moved players to different positions, he tried different schemes. He basically found a way to get the most out of what we had left on the roster, and it wasn't always pretty, what happened? We won more games than expected! I don't care how you slice it, the defense helped to stop another team from scoring more than us on 7 occasions last year!!

Fast forward to this season. Who's our PLAY-MAKERS on DEFENSE? I'm talking legitimate PLAY-MAKERS that are difference makers......like we have on OFFENSE. If I asked that same question about the offense, we could all rattle off SEVERAL names and even a few 2 deep playmakers.

Coach Banks and the defensive staff have done a great job of FINDING a way to help WIN games, even though they have a limited roster......but because it DOESN'T LOOK right to the arm chair coaches, every WEEKEND, even when we WIN, we NEED to FIRE COACH Banks!! We need to find an experienced DC that's called plays before! We need to find a DC that can help us WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!! We need to find a DC that can improve the PASS DEFENSE which sucks (even though there are 100s of statistical metrics that are more important)!!

We've won 9 games already this season and yes, I believe we should have wooped SC.....šŸ˜” That game still stings as much today as it did on Saturday. But the fact that we have SEVERAL THREADS about getting RID of Coach Banks at the end of the season makes my BLOOD BOIL!!

Are there better DC's than Coach Banks?......absolutely! But are they better for what we need right now? I don't know. But why in the WORLD would you get rid of a Coach when we are WAY ahead of schedule in our rebuild and HE is a part of the pieces of the puzzle that has made that happen. What sense does it make to GAMBLE on bringing in another DC in the middle of a REBUILD that's almost REBUILT??!!!

Coach Heupel is a smart guy. He didn't just SETTLE for BANKS or ANY other coach on this staff. He was strategic in his hires and it's the reason we are WAY AHEAD of schedule today!!

If you think we need to get RID of Coach Banks, you're entitled to your opinion. THIS is MY OPINION based on what I KNOW about Coach Banks body of work as a DC. He has won Conference Championships at 2 out of 3 places where he was the PLAY-CALLING DC and 1 where he was the Co-DC. He said when he came to TENNESSEE that he wanted to be a part of a team that WON the National Championship.......and because he had the GUTS to come here and had the confidence to BELIEVE that we could WIN a National Championship.........I'm TEAM Coach Banks.......I'm TEAM current coaching staff......all day!!

I will ride or die with this STAFF! While the SC game was awful to watch, I refuse to jump on the national bandwagon of spewing HATE towards our FOOTBALL PROGRAM or ANY person on this STAFF!! We want to be RESPECTED nationally, yet our own fan base has little RESPECT for what's really been accomplished in with our Football Program.

GBO!!!!

FACTS about Coach BANKS (which can all be found in his BIO) for all of those who said he NO experience calling plays before he came to TENNESSEE:
- PLAY-CALLER at Central Michigan for 3 seasons and 2 of those seasons, they were MAC CHAMPIONS. Defense dominated!
- PLAY-CALLER at University of Cincinnati for 2 years. One season they were ACC CHAMPIONS. Coach Banks for the first time, was NOMINATED for the BROYLES AWARD because he had one of the youngest, but most improved and dominant defenses in college football. Defense dominated!
-PLAY-CALLER at ILLINOIS for 4 seasons. The team struggled....didn't win much, but defense continued to improve and by Coach Banks last season, it was considered one of most STATISTICALLY improved defenses in college football.
-NOT the PLAY-CALLER, but Co-DC at Penn State for 5 seasons. TOP 35 recruiter there and instrumental in developing several "no name players" into draft picks and free agents that are still currently playing in the NFL. During his time there, Penn State had three 11 win seasons, Played in 4 NY6 bowls and was BIG TEN CHAMPIONS his first year (2016)[/QUOTE

Ever watch spoiled kids open Christmas Presents. They will tear one open then run to the next one. Well some of these kids are older now and they have found VN.

We should all love Banks because he WANTED to be here.
I respect Banks for taking the job. Itā€™s just apparent heā€™s better suited more in Big 10. I just donā€™t think he runs a SEC defense that will help us. Maybe heā€™s just in a bad situation. We need a much more aggressive defense coordinator

Long post. My response is shorter. Banks has done OK but not excelled. He is short of players on all 3 levels. But that was a poor gameplan executed poorly. And no emotion (other than Hadden jawing all the time) and no intensity. That isnā€™t acceptable, given what was on the king. There isnā€™t ā€œwait til next year.ā€ THIS was the year.

Regardless of the loss or how we loss, Iā€™m disappointed in the loss. Played way more talented teams than SC to have lost . Something has to change on D .

FIRST POST......and it's all about Coach Banks.

I know it's always fun to sit incognito on message boards and hurl vitriol all over the chosen target for the day, month, season or year.

Coach Banks has been CHOSEN. The coach that had the GUTS to step in and take over when others turned us down. Do you know why others turned us down? Because COACHES do not want to tarnish or ruin their reputation, nor do they want to deal with the public scrutiny and backlash of taking over and running an OFFENSE or DEFENSE that's BAD!! They don't want to deal with the RISK of being associated with a DUMPSTER FIRE! And on top of that, coaches know, even though fans don't, that being a DC of a team that runs an offense like the one Coach Heupel runs, can be coaching suicide. The offense puts a strain on the defense, so you need speed, depth and play-makers, NONE of which TENNESSEE had at the time Coach Heupel took over.

TENNESSEE was a DUMPSTER FIRE before Coach Heupel took the job......remember that? Other Head Coaches wanted no parts of this job, we kept getting turned down. These (HC) were ESTABLISHED Brands and they were not willing to risk ruining their reputation as a HC to take over a program that was in COMPLETE shambles!! NO ESTABLISHED HC wanted any parts of the SANCTIONS, TRANSFER PORTAL EXODUS or the TARNISHED name of UT football attached to them. Coach Heupel had the GUTS to accept the challenge head on!!

He had his OC, but offered the DC job to lots of "named" coaches.......coaches that everyone was excited about. What happened? They ALL used us to get raises, but NO ONE was willing to take the chance......NO GUTS!!

Coach Heupel "SETTLES" for Coach Tim Banks as DC.....a "NO NAMER" in the eyes of the fan base, but a well respected coach in the profession known for improving defenses, getting the most out of "no name players" and sending them to the NFL (as he did at CENTRAL MICHIGAN, CINCINNATI, ILLINOIS and PENN STATE), as well as finding a way to WIN when rosters don't have the caliber of kids that are play makers on game day.....all of which we NEEDED at TENNESSEE!!

When Coach Banks took over the DEFENSE, he and his staff had NO one to work with, which is why everyone believed we'd only win 3-4 games in year one. He played with walk-ons, he moved players to different positions, he tried different schemes. He basically found a way to get the most out of what we had left on the roster, and it wasn't always pretty, what happened? We won more games than expected! I don't care how you slice it, the defense helped to stop another team from scoring more than us on 7 occasions last year!!

Fast forward to this season. Who's our PLAY-MAKERS on DEFENSE? I'm talking legitimate PLAY-MAKERS that are difference makers......like we have on OFFENSE. If I asked that same question about the offense, we could all rattle off SEVERAL names and even a few 2 deep playmakers.

Coach Banks and the defensive staff have done a great job of FINDING a way to help WIN games, even though they have a limited roster......but because it DOESN'T LOOK right to the arm chair coaches, every WEEKEND, even when we WIN, we NEED to FIRE COACH Banks!! We need to find an experienced DC that's called plays before! We need to find a DC that can help us WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!! We need to find a DC that can improve the PASS DEFENSE which sucks (even though there are 100s of statistical metrics that are more important)!!

We've won 9 games already this season and yes, I believe we should have wooped SC.....šŸ˜” That game still stings as much today as it did on Saturday. But the fact that we have SEVERAL THREADS about getting RID of Coach Banks at the end of the season makes my BLOOD BOIL!!

Are there better DC's than Coach Banks?......absolutely! But are they better for what we need right now? I don't know. But why in the WORLD would you get rid of a Coach when we are WAY ahead of schedule in our rebuild and HE is a part of the pieces of the puzzle that has made that happen. What sense does it make to GAMBLE on bringing in another DC in the middle of a REBUILD that's almost REBUILT??!!!

Coach Heupel is a smart guy. He didn't just SETTLE for BANKS or ANY other coach on this staff. He was strategic in his hires and it's the reason we are WAY AHEAD of schedule today!!

If you think we need to get RID of Coach Banks, you're entitled to your opinion. THIS is MY OPINION based on what I KNOW about Coach Banks body of work as a DC. He has won Conference Championships at 2 out of 3 places where he was the PLAY-CALLING DC and 1 where he was the Co-DC. He said when he came to TENNESSEE that he wanted to be a part of a team that WON the National Championship.......and because he had the GUTS to come here and had the confidence to BELIEVE that we could WIN a National Championship.........I'm TEAM Coach Banks.......I'm TEAM current coaching staff......all day!!

I will ride or die with this STAFF! While the SC game was awful to watch, I refuse to jump on the national bandwagon of spewing HATE towards our FOOTBALL PROGRAM or ANY person on this STAFF!! We want to be RESPECTED nationally, yet our own fan base has little RESPECT for what's really been accomplished in with our Football Program.

GBO!!!!

FACTS about Coach BANKS (which can all be found in his BIO) for all of those who said he NO experience calling plays before he came to TENNESSEE:
- PLAY-CALLER at Central Michigan for 3 seasons and 2 of those seasons, they were MAC CHAMPIONS. Defense dominated!
- PLAY-CALLER at University of Cincinnati for 2 years. One season they were ACC CHAMPIONS. Coach Banks for the first time, was NOMINATED for the BROYLES AWARD because he had one of the youngest, but most improved and dominant defenses in college football. Defense dominated!
-PLAY-CALLER at ILLINOIS for 4 seasons. The team struggled....didn't win much, but defense continued to improve and by Coach Banks last season, it was considered one of most STATISTICALLY improved defenses in college football.
-NOT the PLAY-CALLER, but Co-DC at Penn State for 5 seasons. TOP 35 recruiter there and instrumental in developing several "no name players" into draft picks and free agents that are still currently playing in the NFL. During his time there, Penn State had three 11 win seasons, Played in 4 NY6 bowls and was BIG TEN CHAMPIONS his first year (2016)

Amen.

2022 Tennessee
#1 scoring offense
#1 total offense

#61 scoring defense
#100 total defense

just imagine if the D was just decent in totality.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
In all seriousness, I don't think anyone wants anyone fired. Saturday night was full of emotional knee jerk reactions, beat Vandy and that's a start to righting the ship. Lose to Vandy and the clock will start on this staff.
People do. Luckily it's not enough to make too big of a stink and they don't make the decisions anyways.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
People do. Luckily it's not enough to make too big of a stink and they don't make the decisions anyways.

Nor should we anyway.

However Iā€™ve yet to see anyone give solid reasoning as to why he should stay at Tennessee. What has he done? How has the defense improved as a whole?

The D has been bad vs bad teams even vs FCS teamsā€¦ā€¦.this ainā€™t solely personal.

Has Banks proven he can ā€œbuildā€ anything?

Also this team is so close with a solid DC and a decent to good defense Tennessee can be elite.

I also believe there are several high level DCā€™s out there who could be available this year but maybe not in the future.

I could be WAY off (because Iā€™m guessing) however Heupel was fired from Oklahoma because of a DC. I donā€™t think he allows this to continue. I mean heā€™s not going to do anything now, but after the season.

Reactions: TN1111
A valid point can be made in the first post about play makers.

How many of our guys could start at Bama or Georgia. We as a fan base often compare our team to those teams as a measuring stick.

So which of our guys start there?

How many start at another top 10 program?

We do lack elite talent on defense.

Half our offense could play anywhere in the country. But that defenseā€¦
Nice try but youā€™re asking the wrong question.
You ask how many start at UGA or Bama or another top ten program.
Should ask how many start at UF, UK, Vandy, Mizzou or A&M because all of them held the SC at 38 or a lot less.
And thatā€™s enough for our offense to have a bad day and still win.
So letā€™s not act like it takes Top 10 talent to stop their offense more than 1 time a game.

Reactions: JoAllan
A valid point can be made in the first post about play makers.

How many of our guys could start at Bama or Georgia. We as a fan base often compare our team to those teams as a measuring stick.

So which of our guys start there?

How many start at another top 10 program?

We do lack elite talent on defense.

Half our offense could play anywhere in the country. But that defenseā€¦

Do you think Tennessee has the talent on defense to be better than 100th in total D and 61st in scoring D?

Reactions: GVol1966
Nor should we anyway.

However Iā€™ve yet to see anyone give solid reasoning as to why he should stay at Tennessee. What has he done? How has the defense improved as a whole?

The D has been bad vs bad teams even vs FCS teamsā€¦ā€¦.this ainā€™t solely personal.

Also this team is so close with a solid DC and a decent to good defense Tennessee can be elite.

I also believe there are several high level DCā€™s out there who could be available this year but maybe not in the future.

I could be WAY off (because Iā€™m guessing) however Heupel was fired from Oklahoma because of a DC. I donā€™t think he allows this to continue. I mean heā€™s not going to do anything now, but after the season.
Losing to SC was really bad considering where we were ranked and what potentially was riding on the outcome.

But giving up 63 to that really bad offense is a fireable offense and I really believe that result will force Heupel's hand at the end of the season.

Nor should we anyway.

Short answer is yes, but there's more to it. I will add our D shut down LSU and is the reason we beat Pitt. Only 3 teams have scored more than 30 on us. We won two of them. One was had a Heisman winner. The other was Florida who scored 33. South Carolina was the other. Our offense is what lost the Georgia game. Our defense is what lost the SC game.

You don't fire a guy in year 2 who began with no ballers with exception to a DL or 2 and has a done what I have mentioned above. I would be willing to give this man another couple of years to see if we like what he's putting down. Next year might be worse unless these freshman coming in play beyond their years.

Don't want to retype this. It's long.
Coach Banks.....

Reactions: JoAllan

VN Store

Back