'Clinical judgments' key in college football contact tracing

volmanbill

The future is bright
Staff member
Ultimately, it's a “clinical judgment," said Dr. Chris Klenck, team physician at Tennessee.

Differences in who makes those judgments and how could loom large over this season.

“It’s important to us that we all have a level playing field and that we’re all following the same protocols and procedures so that the perception that one team has an unfair advantage is minimized and that we’re all doing the same protocols and the same health and safety standards for all of our student-athletes,” Klenck told AP before Pruitt revealed the Volunteers' predicament.

'Clinical judgments' key in college football contact tracing

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
This is so unnecessary. How many deaths or permanent injuries have happened in MLB and NBA? NONE. Freddie Freeman of the Braves got sick in June with the virus and is having a career year blasting multiple home runs in several games this season. Others have had it and no lasting ill effects in the pro athlete demographic. College aged kids would be even less affected.

This is just a power play by bureaucrats, administrators and politicians. The elderly and sick have to be protected but athletes should play. It is VITAL to the athlete's health, well being and their lives that they can live their dreams and do what makes them happy. We have too many nannies in charge who don't know what the he11 they are doing and politicians exploiting the situation. Those setting the rules have no skin in the game so far because they continue to get paid while regular folks, students and athletes are devastated. It is time to stop following them like sheep and demand they stop the nonsense.

This is so unnecessary. How many deaths or permanent injuries have happened in MLB and NBA? NONE. Freddie Freeman of the Braves got sick in June with the virus and is having a career year blasting multiple home runs in several games this season. Others have had it and no lasting ill effects in the pro athlete demographic. College aged kids would be even less affected.

This is just a power play by bureaucrats, administrators and politicians. The elderly and sick have to be protected but athletes should play. It is VITAL to the athlete's health, well being and their lives that they can live their dreams and do what makes them happy. We have too many nannies in charge who don't know what the he11 they are doing and politicians exploiting the situation. Those setting the rules have no skin in the game so far because they continue to get paid while regular folks, students and athletes are devastated. It is time to stop following them like sheep and demand they stop the nonsense.
Can’t like this post enough. Contact tracing is such bullshiite, can’t believe that’s actually going on in this country.

I agree with you but would like to point out Trey Smith has a pre-existing condition that if he had it could probably cause serious issues for him. I'm a maintenance tech guy so clearly not a doctor. I'm just thinking how the Chinese virus causes respiratory issues and Trey Smith already has lung issues (blood clots) so I can see how the virus possibly could hurt him more so than other athletes. IMO

Pennsylvania college football player, 20, dies of suspected COVID-19

Reactions: RobertPellitt
You really had to work hard to find an obscure UNCONFIRMED incident to make your weak point. You, as the nannies in charge, will ruin the lives of thousands of working people, athletes and students based on this tragic case? I'm sure you and others will go far and wide to find a few more examples, but the fact is that MLB and the NBA have not had any deaths or serious illness after all games played this season. But the nannies have the power as long as we let them exercise it.

Post of the year nominee!

Reactions: Alto1

This, all day long.

Reactions: Alto1
By executive fiat businesses were shut down, some of them deemed some non-essential, and we're all told we must wear masks. What the hell is contact tracing? I saw lots of questions about it to Pruitt in a press conference. Honestly I don't even care. I dont believe the ******** and never wear a mask either. Can we not get back to normalcy before the election? I want to see us beat the **** out of South Carolina. It's a travesty that Will Muschamp ever had a streak against us and time to stamp an exclamation point on last season's win!

to take a page from a history book and Sir Winston: NEVER HAVE SO FEW HURT SO MANY!

Reactions: volroadwarrior
I feel like people don’t know what contact tracing is. Contact tracing is seeing who sick people have been around and making those people aware that they may have the virus, which seems objectively good if you care about elderly people and think the virus affects them because those risky groups would know to get care sooner and would have a higher suspicion of it if they got really sick.

What y’all are really complaining about is quarantining, where people who don’t know if they have the virus have to stay away from others, as well as isolation, where people who are confirmed to have it have to stay away from others. In addition, it’s the policies that these activities sometimes support, like closing businesses, etc. Contact tracing isn’t all this stuff and really is not controversial. There’s nothing that inherently disrupts lives about contact tracing.

Reactions: 08Vol
I feel like people don’t know what contact tracing is. Contact tracing is seeing who sick people have been around and making those people aware that they may have the virus, which seems objectively good if you care about elderly people and think the virus affects them because those risky groups would know to get care sooner and would have a higher suspicion of it if they got really sick.

What y’all are really complaining about is quarantining, where people who don’t know if they have the virus have to stay away from others, as well as isolation, where people who are confirmed to have it have to stay away from others. In addition, it’s the policies that these activities sometimes support, like closing businesses, etc. Contact tracing isn’t all this stuff and really is not controversial. There’s nothing that inherently disrupts lives about contact tracing.
You're technically right. But only technically.

See, contact tracing takes time, effort, and $$. No one is going to do it unless it serves a purpose. And in the scenarios we're discussing, that purpose is to determine who, if anyone, needs to be tested, isolated, and/or quarantined.

So when most folks here complain about contact tracing, they're using that as shorthand for the whole tracing--> testing--> isolating/quarantining process, I think. And they're only complaining as it affects the team. The whole bowling pin effect we've seen a couple of times now in the ranks of the lads.

You're technically right. But only technically.

See, contact tracing takes time, effort, and $$. No one is going to do it unless it serves a purpose. And in the scenarios we're discussing, that purpose is to determine who, if anyone, needs to be tested, isolated, and/or quarantined.

So when most folks here complain about contact tracing, they're using that as shorthand for the whole tracing--> testing--> isolating/quarantining process, I think. And they're only complaining as it affects the team. The whole bowling pin effect we've seen a couple of times now in the ranks of the lads.
Yeah, I can see that. I would argue the tracing itself is still necessary to protect the high risk groups like grandmothers and grandfathers, etc., but I can see where people are coming from regarding young men

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

You've been wrong since March.

Not really. Either way, there's comorbidity and somebody is dead.
The COVID death count didn’t make a distinction though. So someone could’ve had heart problems, lung issues, diabetes, etc and they would put it down as a COVID death. Think it’s a little misleading, but I see what you’re saying. Still shouldn’t be taken lightly

So basically, once again, the bow tie wearing “administrators” are inserting themselves in ways that hurts the football program that other SEC programs aren’t having to deal with? I can see why Pruitt is pissed that we are playing by a different set of rules.

Reactions: norrislakevol

VN Store

Back