Clemson's Danny Pearman - racial slur

I think Dabo has been disliked by many national media types for a long time, despite his success, because of his overt (and in my opinion, purposely conspicuous and preening) religiosity. If given a chance to, I think they'll turn on him so fast it'll make your head spin. I wouldn't expect many in the media to come to his defense.

A ton of people like Dabo because of what they feel he represents, but a ton of people hate him for that same reason and would eat it up if the media turned negative on him. Very Tebow-like, although I've gotten the impression that Tebow's beliefs are probably more genuine.

Richt was open too. I have no issues with that at all. Why would be OK to be openly gruff, but should keep your beliefs to yourself? "Blessed are those that are persecuted for my names sake." If he believes it and tries to live it and share it, good for him. It's not for me to question if he is as genuine as Tebow or Richt.

' ‘What’s coach getting on to you about?’” Greenlee told The State. “I was just like, ‘Man I got the (n-word) that came in my gap.’ I was talking to my teammate. That was all that was said. Then the next thing you know coach Pearman starts coming over there. He was repeating what I just said. He’s like, ‘(n-word) this, (n-word) that. The (n-word) wasn’t there.’”
This doesn't sound like a teaching moment on race relations, sounds more like a coaching moment using Greenlee's term as an identifier for the defender.
How can a person think that’s acceptable in the 2000’s?

Reactions: ohhbother
' ‘What’s coach getting on to you about?’” Greenlee told The State. “I was just like, ‘Man I got the (n-word) that came in my gap.’ I was talking to my teammate. That was all that was said. Then the next thing you know coach Pearman starts coming over there. He was repeating what I just said. He’s like, ‘(n-word) this, (n-word) that. The (n-word) wasn’t there.’”
This doesn't sound like a teaching moment on race relations, sounds more like a coaching moment using Greenlee's term as an identifier for the defender.
Why didn't the coach say anything to the dude that "came in his 'gap'"? Or is that normal behavior for Clemson football players?

Then why was it acceptable for the player to use that term. Should he be disciplined? It would be discrimination against the coach to punish him for the same term.

Not a single person on earth should get a pass for using any racial slur.

How should they be disciplined?

Should be the question. Not, should there be discipline?

I think Dabo has been disliked by many national media types for a long time, despite his success, because of his overt (and in my opinion, purposely conspicuous and preening) religiosity. If given a chance to, I think they'll turn on him so fast it'll make your head spin. I wouldn't expect many in the media to come to his defense.

A ton of people like Dabo because of what they feel he represents, but a ton of people hate him for that same reason and would eat it up if the media turned negative on him. Very Tebow-like, although I've gotten the impression that Tebow's beliefs are probably more genuine.

I dislike frauds more than anything in this world. That said, I really feel like Dabo is a genuine, good guy. Some of the goofy stuff he does, I don't think he could fake it.

Reactions: onevol74
Richt was open too. I have no issues with that at all. Why would be OK to be openly gruff, but should keep your beliefs to yourself? "Blessed are those that are persecuted for my names sake." If he believes it and tries to live it and share it, good for him. It's not for me to question if he is as genuine as Tebow or Richt.

Richt seemed like a genuinely good guy compared to Dabo.

Richt seemed like a genuinely good guy compared to Dabo.

Easy to assume that with his demeanor. And he was in fact. Dabo more type A than Richt. Doesn't make him less genuine. He's just more vocal/cry baby about program not getting respect. Shouldn't be confused with character though. Dabo has been in limelight for a while now and seems to hold true to his intentions.

Reactions: Roustabout
He said it, he didn't call the player it.

"Three years ago on the practice field, I made a grave mistake involving D.J. Greenlee. I repeated a racial slur I overheard when trying to stop the word from being used on the practice field. What I overheard, I had no right to repeat," Pearman said in the statement.

Pearman said the word was not directed at Greenlee, an account the former player confirmed in his interview with The State, noting that Pearman "wasn't saying that I was a N-word."
Don’t let facts get i the way of an opportunity to advance a narrative

Then why was it acceptable for the player to use that term. Should he be disciplined? It would be discrimination against the coach to punish him for the same term.

This! Just think about what is being discussed here. A black person can use the "N-word" with no repercussions but it IS NOT OK for anyone else to say it. We're talking about a word. If the coach is on the hot-seat, the player should be on the hot-seat. The coach wasn't randomly using or calling the the player the "N-word". He was simply repeating what the player said.

This is about as stupid as the sports commentator being fired when describing Williams' attack mode style as "Guerilla" tactics or warfare. Well, the Twitters blowd up and he was fired even though he said nothing wrong. Opinion: Terrible misunderstanding finally cleared up

This! Just think about what is being discussed here. A black person can use the "N-word" with no repercussions but it IS NOT OK for anyone else to say it. We're talking about a word. If the coach is on the hot-seat, the player should be on the hot-seat. The coach wasn't randomly using or calling the the player the "N-word". He was simply repeating what the player said.

This is about as stupid as the sports commentator being fired when describing Williams' attack mode style as "Guerilla" tactics or warfare. Well, the Twitters blowd up and he was fired even though he said nothing wrong. Opinion: Terrible misunderstanding finally cleared up
It was only a misunderstanding because people wanted him to be misunderstood. Everyone knew there was nothing racial in Adler’s comments.

Dabo does it in a flamboyant, showy, preening way. Richt did not. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back