Clemson Head Football Coach Dabo Swinney Says He May Quit If Players Get Paid

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Clemson head football coach Dabo Swinney says he may quit coaching college football if players get paid.

Dabo says he may quit college football if players get paid

ermahgerd.jpg

Nothing like having a $93 million contract and discussing the how horrible the introduction of money would be.

Exactly. I don't believe for one second that Dabo Swinney is God's gift to football coaching. He is a used car salesman that has surrounded himself with great coaches and there is nothing wrong with that but the players on the field are the ones that are primarily responsible for his success. A lot of these players come from nothing who work very hard to compete are paid nothing yet Dabo on the sidelines with his goofy sweatshirt and his "awe shucks" persona is worth 93$ million? Give me a break, he doesn't want his salary impacted and that is precisely what will happen if they pay the players a stipend. I am not saying you give them 200k a year but 1k stipend a month during the season isn't an unrealistic expectation. I wonder if God told him that a pay cut was sinful?

College football isn’t and never will be a clean business.

Players are getting paid certain expenses or driving away in a brand new Dodge Charger. It’s not right but it is what it is.

You can bet Dabo himself isn’t a saint when it comes to getting the players he wants. I like Dabo but that’s just a dumb thing to say.

The headline is misleading. He was speculating on the many things that could happen in the world of college football that could cause a change in the future.

The point of David Hale’s ESPN article was about Dabo Swinney‘s potential future at Alabama, or lack thereof. The Clemson head coach is a natural replacement for Nick Saban one day, given that he’s beaten Saban two out of the last three times they’ve played, and that he’s an Alabama native, an Alabama graduate, a former Crimson Tide wide receiver and a former Crimson Tide assistant coach under two separate regimes.

Swinney has towed that thin line splendidly of late, repeatedly stating that, while he loves his alma mater, Swinney’s happy at Clemson and has no plans to leave. Still, the future remains unwritten and who knows how he’ll feel in 2025? Again, he’s done a remarkable job of showing affection to his alma mater and loyalty to his employer at the same time.

It was all going great, until he said something truly ridiculous:

“Who knows what’s going to happen down the road? I have no idea,” Swinney said. “I just try to be great where my feet are. That’s my focus every day. Who knows? They may do away with college football in three years. There may be no college football. They may want to professionalize college athletics. Well, then, maybe I’ll go to the pros. If I’m going to coach pro football, I might as well do that. I may get a terrible president or a terrible AD one day. I don’t know. I have no idea what’s down the road. But I know what we have at Clemson is special, and I wanted to make a commitment to the university. That’s what the message of the contract was.”

From the article:

The Clemson head coach is a natural replacement for Nick Saban one day, given that he’s beaten Saban two out of the last three times they’ve played, and that he’s an Alabama native, an Alabama graduate, a former Crimson Tide wide receiver and a former Crimson Tide assistant coach under two separate regimes.

Say what now? How have I not heard this before?

Dabo had the very good fortune to be at Clemson when UT as a school had administrators that could care less about on the field success. UT's success was pulling in record revenues with sales and butts in seats, the bean counters did what they always do, diluted the product to enhance profits. UT's on the field success declined Clemson's good fortune picked up. You can literally look at the roster the last few years at Clemson and see that many of those kids would have been at UT had we kept on keeping on rather than sitting on our laurels counting coins.

Paying the players would work for a while but it would be the end of college football. It would be easier to cap the salaries for coaches. Plenty of guys willing to take these jobs for a reasonable salary 500K. Take that sword away from the AD's and get back to a level playing field. I agree, if coaches get those kinds of salaries they need to get paid, then everyone loses.

Even if you believe that down to your core, you can’t just re-up for $93 million and then drop that comment. I believe these guys should have the opportunity to use their likeness to make money at the local John Smith Chevrolet of Knoxville or Greenville or whatever.
Sure he can. He just did and good for him. When they start paying college players I’m done. The NFL is better football. The joy of college ball is being destroyed.

I think the NCAA should restructure and cap coaches at $1million.

My
Sure he can. He just did and good for him. When they start paying college players I’m done. The NFL is better football. The joy of college ball is being destroyed.

I think the NCAA should restructure and cap coaches at $1million.
My comments were more in the realm of how things are trending towards players receiving something more than what they already do. When a coach inks a $93 million deal and then talks about quitting if players get paid, its a bad look. Players and coaches both help one another in one way or another. I know I don’t have all the answers about how those things would be done, but if you cap coaches ability to make money then these great coaches will be itching to jump ship to the NFL where they can make more money without the recruiting .

VN Store

Back