Classless Kirby drops F-Bomb at News Conference

Hey Kirby,

YCWsIzl.gif

Did you read the article? All it said was that people who know more words in general also know more swear words. It doesn't say intelligent people swear more. I read of a controlled study recently that concluded that we pull swear words from a different part of the brain than our regular language. The scientists in that case say it shows how linguistically unnatural swearing is. Which is another way of saying what Backwards K was saying.

Did you read the article? All it said was that people who know more words in general also know more swear words. It doesn't say intelligent people swear more. I read of a controlled study recently that concluded that we pull swear words from a different part of the brain than our regular language. The scientists in that case say it shows how linguistically unnatural swearing is. Which is another way of saying what Backwards K was saying.

Did you read the article?

What this correlation suggests is that swearing isn’t simply a sign of language poverty, lack of general vocabulary, or low intelligence.

Which if you actually read the post I was responding to, directly refutes @Backwards K 's assertion that "vulgar language is the tool of the ignorant when they can't formulate real words."

There isn't a single recruit that's made it this far in high school football without hearing the F-bomb countless times during every practice, game, team meeting, or pre-game meal.

I assume there is a similar amount that have had their face-mask touched by their coach in a game or in practice along the way as well ... correct?

Did you read the article?

What this correlation suggests is that swearing isn’t simply a sign of language poverty, lack of general vocabulary, or low intelligence.

Which if you actually read the post I was responding to, directly refutes @Backwards K 's assertion that "vulgar language is the tool of the ignorant when they can't formulate real words."
But, the correlation didn't suggest that. It was a poorly reasoned article (or possibly just a poorly reported article). The alleged evidence was that people who could spit out more words in a burst of one minute could also spit out more swear words in a burst of one minute. It didn't address at all whether the people had any inkling of the meaning of the words they could list, so it wasn't about linguistic facility, just memory. It also gives no evidence that the people who know more swear words actually USE the swear words. It's ludicrous to suggest that the amount of swearing someone does is directly related to the number of different swear words they know. The people I know who swear the most tend to have two or three go-to swears.

In no way does it disprove Backwards K's assertion.

But, the correlation didn't suggest that. It was a poorly reasoned article (or possibly just a poorly reported article). The alleged evidence was that people who could spit out more words in a burst of one minute could also spit out more swear words in a burst of one minute. It didn't address at all whether the people had any inkling of the meaning of the words they could list, so it wasn't about linguistic facility, just memory. It also gives no evidence that the people who know more swear words actually USE the swear words. It's ludicrous to suggest that the amount of swearing someone does is directly related to the number of different swear words they know. The people I know who swear the most tend to have two or three go-to swears.

In no way does it disprove Backwards K's assertion.

It quite literally does, as @Backwards K 's assertion that the use blanket stated that the use of 'vulgar language' is never warranted and that "vulgar language is the tool of the ignorant when they can't formulate real words". That's his literal quote, that anyone who uses said language, is not intelligent enough to choose alternative language, which is directly refuted by the article and the study it references.

Your anecdotal experiences are irrelevant to the discussion.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It quite literally does, as @Backwards K 's assertion that the use blanket stated that the use of 'vulgar language' is never warranted and that "vulgar language is the tool of the ignorant when they can't formulate real words". That's his literal quote, that anyone who uses said language, is not intelligent enough to choose alternative language, which is directly refuted by the article and the study it references.

My post was to show that his quote was not directly refuted by the study. It was directly refuted by an arbitrary statement in the article that completely ignores the basic elements of the study. Anyhow, I'm through, so you're welcome to the last word.

See. You just made an impassioned plea which very effectively and efficiently outlined your position on this subject. In this very well thought out argument, you made a good defense of a losing premise without the gratuitous use of vulgar language. I applaud you and thank you for helping to prove my point..

I could care less how someone besides me acts on camera. Wanna drop F bombs? Ok. Wanna drop DANG STRAWBERRIES. Ok as well. I don't care at all. I dont live vicariously through other peoples actions.

But, if I say Okie Dokie, my wife is all over me like stink on a skunk.

VN Store

Back