Class act of the day

Put this link in another thread, but decided it needed its own thread,

Spartan Dawg
You know, this young man (if it is true what is being said, that he was running back toward the shooter) was indeed a hero. And God Bless him if so. But forgive me for casting a jaundiced eye toward some of the things that certain business entities or public institutions do with the intention of gaining public (or Twitter) favor.......to "trend". After looking into the story, I saw where Tate Myre actually was a very very good LB who was previously invited to the East Lansing campus for recruiting visits. So there was a true connection with MSU. But to be honest, I wish these things done to honor people would be just done and a letter sent to the family.......I don't like or trust these institutions that do a thing, then do a PR to gain "likes" or favor in public opinion. If you wish to do something, just do it and don't brag about it. Doing a PR begs me to question your motives. Sorry, but it does. Go do good and then shut up. Then we know where your heart is. If the family choses to make it widely pubic, then that's their call. Getting a bit tired of the entire world being driven by FB and Twitter, for G sake.

Dude. Come on. This is a terrible take on your part. The university is in a position to help a community heal by doing something special for a kids family, and that family's values obviously represents the values of the community. If they never said anything about then it's pointless. They absolutely should honor a young man who would do what he did.

Reactions: VolNate
You know, this young man (if it is true what is being said, that he was running back toward the shooter) was indeed a hero. And God Bless him if so. But forgive me for casting a jaundiced eye toward some of the things that certain business entities or public institutions do with the intention of gaining public (or Twitter) favor.......to "trend". After looking into the story, I saw where Tate Myre actually was a very very good LB who was previously invited to the East Lansing campus for recruiting visits. So there was a true connection with MSU. But to be honest, I wish these things done to honor people would be just done and a letter sent to the family.......I don't like or trust these institutions that do a thing, then do a PR to gain "likes" or favor in public opinion. If you wish to do something, just do it and don't brag about it. Doing a PR begs me to question your motives. Sorry, but it does. Go do good and then shut up. Then we know where your heart is. If the family choses to make it widely public, then that's their call. Getting a bit tired of the entire world being driven by FB and Twitter, for G sake.
I appreciate cynicism with the best of them but I choose to disagree with your take on this. If you’re going to be on social media is there not a better way to honor this young man than what the Spartans and their HC did? A HC that was in demand at other schools and chose to stay at a school that is and will always be a distant second in their own state. I appreciate his loyalty and again, choose to believe that the school was trying to do the right thing by the family and community who lost a son trying to protect others. I respect your last sentence but social media is here to stay and what MSU did today and Notre Dame’s post on the team’s reaction to their DC being named Head Coach is what I wish we saw more of in social media.

Reactions: harambe's ghost
You know, this young man (if it is true what is being said, that he was running back toward the shooter) was indeed a hero. And God Bless him if so. But forgive me for casting a jaundiced eye toward some of the things that certain business entities or public institutions do with the intention of gaining public (or Twitter) favor.......to "trend". After looking into the story, I saw where Tate Myre actually was a very very good LB who was previously invited to the East Lansing campus for recruiting visits. So there was a true connection with MSU. But to be honest, I wish these things done to honor people would be just done and a letter sent to the family.......I don't like or trust these institutions that do a thing, then do a PR to gain "likes" or favor in public opinion. If you wish to do something, just do it and don't brag about it. Doing a PR begs me to question your motives. Sorry, but it does. Go do good and then shut up. Then we know where your heart is. If the family choses to make it widely pubic, then that's their call. Getting a bit tired of the entire world being driven by FB and Twitter, for G sake.

A very wise teacher once told our class. " Remember this When you accuse someone of something, You are saying this is what I would
do in the same circumstance" Think about it before you start accusing someone of something you have no way of knowing their motive.

A very wise teacher once told our class. " Remember this When you accuse someone of something, You are saying this is what I would
do in the same circumstance" Think about it before you start accusing someone of something you have no way of knowing their motive.
That makes zero sense. That's not at all what that means. But I agree with your broader point.

Reactions: Pappy
That is a great gesture on MSU’s part. I don’t view this as attention grabbing or a PR stunt, but rather something his family can hold onto as his legacy. He made the ultimate human sacrifice and everyone would be so fortunate to have his courage. Ultimately that is what life is all about. Caring more about others than yourself and trying your best to do what you feel is “the right thing” in your heart.

I was just pointing out the broader question and wishing things could go back to a time when we as people didn't have the need to do good and then draw attention for it. I pointed out that MSU did have a history with this young man, and so I hoped it likely a righteous thing they were doing. One has to believe and trust more real acts of honor are happening without the world being "tweeted" about it for selfish reasons. That is all I'm saying. I wonder if you are aware of the irony of your accusation. I'm thinking not.

I appreciate cynicism with the best of them but I choose to disagree with your take on this. If you’re going to be on social media is there not a better way to honor this young man than what the Spartans and their HC did? A HC that was in demand at other schools and chose to stay at a school that is and will always be a distant second in their own state. I appreciate his loyalty and again, choose to believe that the school was trying to do the right thing by the family and community who lost a son trying to protect others. I respect your last sentence but social media is here to stay and what MSU did today and Notre Dame’s post on the team’s reaction to their DC being named Head Coach is what I wish we saw more of in social media.
Well, for goodness sake, can we not make the MSU head coach into a heroic figure for angling his school for what most have said is an eyebrow raising contract? I was not pointing to MSU and attempting to cast aspersions their way. I simply was expressing.... "wouldn't it be nice if the family put the info out there instead of a media department at a company or school?" I have no idea who put the info out there. But if one doesn't question some of these things in this day and time, one might be at risk for being gullible, perhaps?

VN Store

Back