Citrus Bowl Thread: #14 Kentucky vs. #12 Penn State (1 PM EST, ABC)

McCat

Rent free in your head
Penn State, Kentucky chase 10-win finish in Citrus Bowl

Citrus Bowl: No. 12 Penn State (9-3) vs. No. 14 Kentucky (9-3), Tuesday, 1 p.m. Eastern (ABC)
Line: Penn State by 6 1/2.
Series Record: Penn State leads 3-2.
WHAT'S AT STAKE
The winner will finish with 10 wins, and that would be significant for Penn State and even more noteworthy for Kentucky, which hasn't done it in 41 years. The Nittany Lions are trying to finish with double-digit wins in three consecutive seasons with the first time since 1980-82. The Wildcats have their best record since going 10-1 in 1977
KEY MATCHUP
Trace McSorley-led Penn State offense that's averaging 424.3 yards and 34.6 points per game against a stingy Kentucky defense anchored by LB Josh Allen, the Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year. The Wildcats have allowed 332.2 yards per game and rank seventh nationally in scoring defense at 16.2.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Penn State: McSorley, who'll become first Nittany Lions QB to throw a pass in four bowl games, has thrown for 2,284 yards and 16 touchdowns vs. six interceptions. RB Miles Sanders has averaged nearly 6 yards per carry on the way to rushing for 1,223 yards and nine TDs.
Kentucky: Allen led the SEC with 18 1/2 tackles for loss, including 14 sacks, which rank third nationally and are a school single-season record. RB Benny Snell Jr. rushed for 1,305 yards and 14 TDs to become one of two players in SEC history to run for 1,000 yards and scored at least 12 TDs in each of his first three seasons in college. The other is Herschel Walker.
FACTS & FIGURES
Penn State is making its 49th bowl appearance, 25th in a New Year's game. ... Kentucky is in a New Year's Bowl for the fourth time. The Tim Couch-led Wildcats faced Penn State in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 1999, losing 26-14.

Last meeting against Penn State was the 1999 Outback Bowl with Tim Couch.

And some classic footage from 1976 and 1977. In those years, they played a home-and-home series. Kentucky won both games thanks to a pretty good defense.

You guys should go back to just the K on the helmet and lose the gimmicky uniforms that you have now. I appreciate the traditionals

Reactions: LittleCat
Yeah. I'm torn. The block K, I associate more with Bill Curry.

You guys should go back to just the K on the helmet and lose the gimmicky uniforms that you have now. I appreciate the traditionals

Reactions: SDV
Penn State, Kentucky chase 10-win finish in Citrus Bowl

Citrus Bowl: No. 12 Penn State (9-3) vs. No. 14 Kentucky (9-3), Tuesday, 1 p.m. Eastern (ABC)
Line: Penn State by 6 1/2.
Series Record: Penn State leads 3-2.
WHAT'S AT STAKE
The winner will finish with 10 wins, and that would be significant for Penn State and even more noteworthy for Kentucky, which hasn't done it in 41 years. The Nittany Lions are trying to finish with double-digit wins in three consecutive seasons with the first time since 1980-82. The Wildcats have their best record since going 10-1 in 1977
KEY MATCHUP
Trace McSorley-led Penn State offense that's averaging 424.3 yards and 34.6 points per game against a stingy Kentucky defense anchored by LB Josh Allen, the Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year. The Wildcats have allowed 332.2 yards per game and rank seventh nationally in scoring defense at 16.2.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Penn State: McSorley, who'll become first Nittany Lions QB to throw a pass in four bowl games, has thrown for 2,284 yards and 16 touchdowns vs. six interceptions. RB Miles Sanders has averaged nearly 6 yards per carry on the way to rushing for 1,223 yards and nine TDs.
Kentucky: Allen led the SEC with 18 1/2 tackles for loss, including 14 sacks, which rank third nationally and are a school single-season record. RB Benny Snell Jr. rushed for 1,305 yards and 14 TDs to become one of two players in SEC history to run for 1,000 yards and scored at least 12 TDs in each of his first three seasons in college. The other is Herschel Walker.
FACTS & FIGURES
Penn State is making its 49th bowl appearance, 25th in a New Year's game. ... Kentucky is in a New Year's Bowl for the fourth time. The Tim Couch-led Wildcats faced Penn State in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 1999, losing 26-14.
I hope Kentucky stomps Penn State..

Chance to make a statement today. I'm super glad that Snell and Allen decided to play when they easily could have, and maybe even deserved, to sit out and prepare for the NFL.

A key loss for UK is MLB Jordan Jones though. He is underrated and his speed will be missed.

Praying for Snell and Allen to stay healthy most of all. Really hope Stoops has this team focused and ready to go.

Go Cats!

Reactions: malinoisvol
I get the PSU hate, but nobody has mentioned that former Vandy coach, who is eminently hate-worthy.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I’m pulling for the Cats in this game.

I hate Penn St and James Franklin.

VN Store

Back