Christmas in Memphis

I doubt they finish in the top half this year. Next year they lose almost their entire starting line up. Questionable what kind of impact these freshman will have.
They’re right on the line to me that’s why I didn’t reply to Gee. I see them 5th or 6th

11 teams right?

I am not going to say they will make the NCAAT, but I will be surprised if they are worse than 6th in the AAC this year. Cincy, Houston, maybe UCF, and maybe UConn will compete for the top half. The rest are not good.

They start two true freshman guards this year, and both are going to be good. They will clearly have the most talent in the league next year, and it won't be close. Wiseman is a one and done, and they have a top 50 in Jeffries also committed.

Memphis is not good

The whole top half is competitive at best. I realize the start to SECteams season that might sound hypocritical, just stating an opinion.

Correct. And they're a mediocre team in their own conference.
Gotta love it. I’m not sold they’re a lock to win their conference next yr, even with that recruiting class. Coaching superior talent against high school teams is different than coaching and winning with superior talent in college. Imo

Gotta love it. I’m not sold they’re a lock to win their conference next yr, even with that recruiting class. Coaching superior talent against high school teams is different than coaching and winning with superior talent in college. Imo
Just like Memphis next year, Western Kentucky lost 3 starters, yet added Bassey a 5* C and they're worse this year. LSU added Ben Simmons who was a beast, and they got worse. Hard to put too much stock in freshman and what kind of impact they'll make on your team.

Reactions: Lefteye

That was always the question with Penny. But two things: he will have far superior talent than anyone else in the league next year. That’s half the battle. Second, he has Sam Mitchell and Tony Matlock on staff. Mitchell has been coach of the year in the NBA, and Matlock is a veteran college assistant. Penny has help on the bench, who have coached at high levels.

Or your overestimating the coach in charge of em.

See below. I am not trying to get into an argument, but UT fans would be jumping for joy if the #1 recruit committed today. It will drastically help their program. It doesn’t mean they will make a FF or anything, but they will be much better than the last few years.

Just like Memphis next year, Western Kentucky lost 3 starters, yet added Bassey a 5* C and they're worse this year. LSU added Ben Simmons who was a beast, and they got worse. Hard to put too much stock in freshman and what kind of impact they'll make on your team.

Except for Martin, they aren’t losing anyone that’s dynamic. Kivon Davenport is good, but they are seriously upgrading in talent. It’s not even a debate.

I root for UT in everything but can recognize that Memphis made the correct coaching change, and they will be better.

See below. I am not trying to get into an argument, but UT fans would be jumping for joy if the #1 recruit committed today. It will drastically help their program. It doesn’t mean they will make a FF or anything, but they will be much better than the last few years.
No question, and I’m not gonna argue with you either. But what does my post have to do with our feelings over landing Wiseman or your thoughts to the automatic assumption Penny can coach in college?

No question, and I’m not gonna argue with you either. But what does my post have to do with our feelings over landing Wiseman or your thoughts to the automatic assumption Penny can coach in college?

Because the #1 player instantly upgrades a program unless you are Duke, etc. Both Wiseman and Jeffries were going to UK until Penny was hired. Is Penny worse than Cal, who isn’t a stellar floor coach? I don’t know, and to be honest, no one knows the answer to that. You are just guessing. Penny isn’t just a former HS coach: he played in the NBA along with two other assistants. We shall see, but they won’t be worse than Tubby’s teams. Tubby didn’t have a top 100 player on the roster.

Because the #1 player instantly upgrades a program unless you are Duke, etc. Both Wiseman and Jeffries were going to UK until Penny was hired. Is Penny worse than Cal, who isn’t a stellar floor coach? I don’t know, and to be honest, no one knows the answer to that. You are just guessing. Penny isn’t just a former HS coach: he played in the NBA along with two other assistants. We shall see, but they won’t be worse than Tubby’s teams. Tubby didn’t have a top 100 player on the roster.
Thank you for his resume, I hadn’t heard. I’m not guessing right now the answer is yes until proven otherwise.

Thank you for his resume, I hadn’t heard. I’m not guessing right now the answer is yes until proven otherwise.

Not really how that works. It’s TBD. You can’t say yes until you get enough of a sample size.

But to totally dismiss it is weird.

Not really how that works. It’s TBD. You can’t say yes until you get enough of a sample size.

But to totally dismiss it is weird.
How that works is what’s TBD. But I’ll agree to disagree

I’m not sure we’re that far apart on thinking

Except for Martin, they aren’t losing anyone that’s dynamic. Kivon Davenport is good, but they are seriously upgrading in talent. It’s not even a debate.

I root for UT in everything but can recognize that Memphis made the correct coaching change, and they will be better.
Clearly he’s going to be getting much better talent so they definitely should be better going forward, I don’t think it’s going to happen with the snap of a finger or just one player. I think this year will be an indication of what kind of coach he is.

Clearly he’s going to be getting much better talent so they definitely should be better going forward, I don’t think it’s going to happen with the snap of a finger or just one player. I think this year will be an indication of what kind of coach he is.

It’s not just one player. He got DJ Jeffries, a top 50 recruit, who was committed to UK. They have room for more. Lomax was top 140, and Harris was top 75. Next year, they will have at least six (and probably more) top 140 recruits with three being top 75.

It’s not just one player. He got DJ Jeffries, a top 50 recruit, who was committed to UK. They have room for more. Lomax was top 140, and Harris was top 75. Next year, they will have at least six (and probably more) top 140 recruits with three being top 75.
Sounds like a bunch of “what ifs”. Show me some actual results.

VN Store

Back