Christmas in Memphis

Memphis has a problem with gangs and drugs. It is a distribution center, a hub for drugs heading east from Mexico. Build the wall and stop/slow the flow of drugs and Memphis can be a better place.

I've been going to Grizzlys, Red Birds, and ncaa regionals for years in downtown Memphis and never once had a dangerous encounter. If you live and work there you have a different exposure to crime than the visitor to Beale.

Don't let the fearmongers dissuade you from enjoying a big time event like the Tigers and Vols, the sky is falling chicken littles are exaggerating the danger.

Grew up in Memphis and only had 1 or 2 “dangerous” encounters my entire life. It’s not a good city by any means (I live in Knoxville now for a reason), but people grossly over exaggerate the danger of being there.

To add to this, my mom is a probation officer in Memphis and rarely has any issues, even when visiting the most crime heavy parts of the city.

Memphis has a problem with gangs and drugs. It is a distribution center, a hub for drugs heading east from Mexico. Build the wall and stop/slow the flow of drugs and Memphis can be a better place.

I've been going to Grizzlys, Red Birds, and ncaa regionals for years in downtown Memphis and never once had a dangerous encounter. If you live and work there you have a different exposure to crime than the visitor to Beale.

Don't let the fearmongers dissuade you from enjoying a big time event like the Tigers and Vols, the sky is falling chicken littles are exaggerating the danger.
Yeah because that will stop drugs from coming into the country hahaha... are we going to build a wall alongside the Atlantic/Pacific coast and the Canadian border as well?

Y'all act like the whole city of Memphis is some huge war zone and the entire city is some sort of "free-for-all" purge type of anarchy lol. I visit Chicago (which is way worse than Memphis) several times a year. I'm not an idiot though, and don't go roaming around neighborhoods like Englewood, Riverdale, Austin, Garfield Park, Lawndale, etc. The actual downtown parts of big cities is not where the violence is, it's in the surrounding neighborhoods/suburbs and the violence is mostly gang/drug related.

Yeah because that will stop drugs from coming into the country hahaha... are we going to build a wall alongside the Atlantic/Pacific coast and the Canadian border as well?

Notice I wrote slow the drugs down too. The biggest entry point is our Southern border and sealing that up will bottle neck the drugs smuggled in to those other places you mentioned and make it easier to eradicate the flow with one less front to defend.

I agree with your points about the chicken littles painting Memphis with a broad brush, claiming you can't survive a visit.

that is funny... acting like memphis is not dangerous. I never had problems downtown but other parts of the city were extremely dangerous in broad day light. it was dangerous to check the mail sometimes... it is a fact memphians are desensitized to the violence. i know the people on the gang task force and yes you are correct and a good time can be had there but good grief it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. memphis has a demographics problem in that their aren't many which vary. I lived on shady grove and still saw violence pretty frequently at the end of the street on ridge way. I've seen plenty of violence outside every venue you referenced. Memphis is dangerous. be careful, not careless.

Last edited:

You must have parked in the garage at every venue ;):)

that is funny... acting like memphis is not dangerous. I never had problems downtown but other parts of the city were extremely dangerous in broad day light. it was dangerous to check the mail sometimes... it is a fact memphians are desensitized to the violence. i know the people on the gang task force and yes you are correct and a good time can be had there but good grief it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. memphis has a demographics problem in that their aren't many which vary. I lived on shady grove and still saw violence pretty frequently at the end of the street on ridge way. I've seen plenty of violence outside every venue you referenced. Memphis is dangerous. be careful, not careless.

It is pretty easy to avoid dangerous situations. Just like several other large cities, being vigilant and aware of what part of town you are in is important.

Memphis is indeed one of the most dangerous / crime-ridden cities, but the likelihood that you find yourself in a dangerous situation is still low overall.

The violent crime rate is ~1.82% which is high, but you are still statistically unlikely to be in a victim of a violent crime ESPECIALLY if you are vigilant.

Reactions: Caculator
It is pretty easy to avoid dangerous situations. Just like several other large cities, being vigilant and aware of what part of town you are in is important.

Memphis is indeed one of the most dangerous / crime-ridden cities, but the likelihood that you find yourself in a dangerous situation is still low overall.

The violent crime rate is ~1.82% which is high, but you are still statistically unlikely to be in a victim of a violent crime ESPECIALLY if you are vigilant.
Yes I agree and feel very lucky to be alive. I would also note that Memphis has a very high abduction and rape rate statistically speaking. I’ve seen the gang statistics and last time I looked , maybe 3 years ago, it was around 18,000 known members, spread among over 120 gangs. They’re mostly theft and drugs but they do randomly off people sometimes.

Lived in Memphis suburbs 30 years. Yes it is a very dangerous city, that's why Forbes just listed it as the 4th most dangerous metro area in the country.

I will no longer walk around Beale or the Forum after dark without 3 or 4 of my closest friends along with buddy Smith & Wesson by my side.

Seeing it all, how did you survive?
It want change until they start hanging them on the spot. There is a man they are to put to death in the next few days that has been in jail over 30 years and we have footed his bill all these years. What a wasted of money. We sure need better leadership.

Never one to live in fear I will enjoy in person the mugging we put on those Memphis criminals in December.

Lived in Memphis 4 years.

There was a murder in the Gated community that I lived in. 3 in Restaurants within 5 miles or so that were being robbed. Witnessed drug usage results that made me laugh out loud at the stupidity that was playing out in front of me every time I seen it. Example: 1) A woman in a housecoat vacuuming a 4 lane road as I passed. As I came back by she was doing the opposite side of the road, so she was trying to plug the cord into that side of the roads curb. 2) there was this one white guy, he couldn't have weight over 125 lbs. who had a series of crosswalks on winchester ave. staked out who would tell every black person he see what he thought of him. (Kept waiting on him to die.) These two souls where f'd beyond belief.
Memphis was one of unfriendliest Cities I have ever seen. Gossip was King.

I stayed at the Peabody Hotel last April, and I saw one of their famous ducks stab the couple that was staying in the suite down the hall from me to death in broad daylight. Later that night, the ghost of BB King robbed a Burger King at gunpoint and shot two patrons on the way out for no reason.

Last edited:
Lived in Memphis 4 years.

There was a murder in the Gated community that I lived in. 3 in Restaurants within 5 miles or so that were being robbed. Witnessed drug usage results that made me laugh out loud at the stupidity that was playing out in front of me every time I seen it. Example: 1) A woman in a housecoat vacuuming a 4 lane road as I passed. As I came back by she was doing the opposite side of the road, so she was trying to plug the cord into that side of the roads curb. 2) there was this one white guy, he couldn't have weight over 125 lbs. who had a series of crosswalks on winchester ave. staked out who would tell every black person he see what he thought of him. (Kept waiting on him to die.) These two souls where f'd beyond belief.
Memphis was one of unfriendliest Cities I have ever seen. Gossip was King.
Educated in mempho too?

Yes there is. Drive up to Dyersburg and come down through the bootheel of Missouri. You won’t be missed.

Very easy drive and very few cops. 80mph the entire way instead of 50 thru Memphis and dealing with traffic backup at 240. Depending where you are going I’d recommend it.

I stayed at the Peabody Hotel last April, and I saw one of their famous ducks stab the couple that was staying in the suite down the hall from me to death in broad daylight. Later that night, the ghost of BB King robbed a Burger King at gunpoint and shot two patrons on the way out for no reason.

What? No Elvis sighting? I don't believe you?

Isn't downtown Memphis the safest place in Memphis. Was there not long ago. Enjoyed good food. Cops everywhere.

Reactions: Caculator
I have an aunt that has lived in Memphis since the mid 70's. She has never been a crime victim other than minor stuff like having a brick thrown through her front window. Oh and a couple stray bullets hitting her house. And the few times someone tried (unsuccessfully) to break in. She has never been injured by anyone, never been robbed. But her neighbors have been robbed, shot, etc. She is very fortunate. Years ago when she lived in south Memphis, her neighbor went on a 2 week cruise. He came back and knocked on her door and asked if she had seen anybody at his house. She hadn't because she worked during the day and rarely went out after dark. Anyway, his entire house was ripped. Everything not nailed down was gone. Furniture, appliances, clothes, everything. A month or so later she was at a stop sign in her neighborhood and saw a dead body in the road. Blood all over the place. She sold the house and moved a month later. She now lives near the old Mall of Memphis. Not any better. One of her former neighbors was a MPD officer and HIS house got robbed. They shot his Rotty and broke down the door. He moved.

But, it's home to her and she doesn't want to leave. I don't visit. I try to avoid the place. Nothing personal Memphians, but your city isn't a good place to be in my opinion.

Anyone buy tickets yet? I was looking at the Memphis website and they only had a mini-pack thing that included the Tennessee game.

Anyone buy tickets yet? I was looking at the Memphis website and they only had a mini-pack thing that included the Tennessee game.

They said single-game tickets don't go on sale till the near future, I was debating just buying the mini pack and then trying to sell the other tickets instead of waiting for them to put single-game tickets on sale

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I plan on going but didn't realize tickets were on sale. I've been keeping my eye on Ticketmaster but nothing on there yet.
I’m probably not the first person to tell you this but Ticketmaster is awful. I use stubhub whenever I can help it

VN Store

Back