Christmas Comes Early; Lady Vols Upset Stanford in OT 79-69

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Christmas came a little early for Pat Summitt and the Lady Vols as Tennessee upset the visiting Stanford Cardinal 79-69 in overtime in Thompson-Boling Arena Sunday night in a nationally televised contest.

More...

Christmas came a little early for Pat Summitt and the Lady Vols as Tennessee upset the visiting Stanford Cardinal 79-69 in overtime in Thompson-Boling Arena Sunday night in a nationally televised contest.

More...

:) :p :dance2: :rock: :good!: :clapping:

They were 4. But seriously Johnson was hurt bad on the floor for awhile carried out basically. Any news?

How is Johnson she was hurt?

I just talked to my mom (who is sitting in the arena waiting for the CPS show) and she said Glory was walking but had an icepack on her thigh. Didn't look like a knee or anything serious. Hope she gets some rest

Great to get a top 10 win!

On the post game show they said Glory's injury was a right thigh contusion so nothing with her knee.

Next two games on the road: 12/30 @ Gonzaga and 1/3 @ Rutgers.

Vicki Baugh
35akhzd.png

Shekinna Stricklen
2nleqzk.png

Angie Bjorklund
2lm82dh.jpg

Glory Johnson
1zdbzm1.jpg

This goes to shows just how a great of a coach Pat Summitt really is. The woman has 7 freshman, 5 sophmores and 1 senior and beat the no.4 team in the country.

Stanford was 4 but had 2 losses (7-2 I believe coming in) while UT was 13 with 2 losses (8-2 coming in I believe).

I thought I saw where this was the first time since 1997 or something that the Lady Vols were not in the Top 10!

This Vol team might become very good--either later this year or next, but the team is obviously weak at point guard. I'm not sure how good Bass become--she's tiny--and with McMahon banged up and with limitations, the Vols are extremely thin at PG. That's why Stricklin--a 2 or 3--is playing a good deal at PG. Not sure why, but PS has long struggled to find a true, good PG--but she obviously has overcome the problem with back-to-back titles!

Regardless of what the rankings are, calling any victory by Tennessee's women's basketball team an "upset" seems kind of laughable.

When you have eight national championships, 18 Final Fours and your coach is closing in on 1,000 wins, there are no upsets.

VN Store

Back