Chow Accepts Titans Offer

ScrappinVol

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Southern California assistant Norm Chow was hired as offensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans on Wednesday after helping the Trojans win two consecutive national championships.

"The timing's right, and the excitement's there," Chow said during a conference call.
Chow replaces Mike Heimerdinger, who was hired as the New York Jets' offensive coordinator last month. This is his first job in pro football after 32 seasons at BYU, North Carolina State and USC.

"We know which direction our offense wants to go, and I felt without any question in my mind that he's the right guy to get us there," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said.

Fisher, a USC alumnus, also interviewed assistant head coach George Henshaw and quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson from his own staff.

Chow, 58, joined USC in 2001 and was the team's offensive coordinator, tutoring Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.

At BYU, Chow worked with quarterbacks such as Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer, NFL star Steve Young and Chicago Bears QB Jim McMahon - a former teammate of Fisher's.

:p

Maybe Chow can rent Patrick Turners room until he finds a place in Nashville.

Forget Patrick Turner . . . imagine how you would feel if you were Matt Linehart right now!?!? He passed up an eight figure signing bonus only to have his OC leave two weeks later.

WOW MAYBE THE TROJANS WONT THREEPEAT AND WE WONT HAVE TO TALK ABOUT SOME TEAM IN CALIFORNIA :td: :weird: :number1:

I think the Trojans have the level of sheer talent that they can sustain themselves as at least a BCS-caliber team until they find a good replacement.

But as long as Carroll stays, they will still have a shutdown defense in the second half, which will set them apart from the rest of the Pac and give them a big advantage. Chow may be gone, but Leinart knows what he is doing, and so does Carroll. USC is still well-off.

yeah but its hard to replace a play caller like him. Im not saying there ot gonna be good, but if they get into a hole in the first half like they did a couple times this year then i just want to see what there oc calls.

I think Leinart will be able to run their offense just about as well, and although Carroll's specialty is defense, he can hold it down. After this next season, or even before, I would find it hard to believe there aren't OC's around the country salivating over a job like the one at USC.

Chow gone... Leinart just had surgery on his throwing arm... could be a less than BCS season next year for the Trojans?

How does an OC change usually affect a team? Remember how loaded the Vols were in 1999? Coming off a 13-0 season and returning most of the starters. However, the Vols OC went to be HC at Ole Miss and the Vols fell to 9-3. A 2-pt road loss to Florida and 4-pt road loss to Arkansas kept them out of the SECCG. However, it must be noted they participated in a BCS bowl game that season.

VN Store

Back