Chip Kelley. I can remember….

UCLA is a perfect example of how the portal can greatly benefit a team. Between the transfer portal and the extra year of eligibility, they have a pretty solid team.

Orgeron = Chizik. Just like Clay Travis said. Once in a lifetime college QB in Newton and Burrow and then you see how really good the coach is and that is not very good.
100% agree and exactly what I predicted. Comparisons to Fulmer are way off. Phil was good in his prime, Coach O never had a "prime.". He caught lightening in a bottle.

LSU is the easiest place in the world to win, they've hired 3 straight coaches that won the NC and two of them are morons.

Go all the way back to DiNardo and look at their records pre-LSU hire and compare to their LSU records.

People thought Mike Leach was going to be successful after he beat LSU last year. Not going to happen.
The PAC isn’t much right now. The UCLA team that was on the field last night will have a good season in conference.

Orgeron = Chizik. Just like Clay Travis said. Once in a lifetime college QB in Newton and Burrow and then you see how really good the coach is and that is not very good.

I was 19-1 when I coached 9-10 rec league basketball ball almost 20 years ago. Had a kid who started three years in college, played one season in the NBA and is still playing professionally in Europe…coaching is important BUT when your talent is so vastly superior to everyone else you shouldn't confuse it with good coaching…

btw, the one loss was due to coaching. 😂

The PAC isn’t much right now. The UCLA team that was on the field last night will have a good season in conference.
Oh ok. Yeah Chip will be successful in a much weaker conference. I can agree with that. I also think Butch Jones will be successful in his weaker conference,

Vol fans saying chip couldn’t be successful in the SEC. His team looks pretty damn good.

He finally put a physical SEC type team on the field and dumped the gimmicks. Gee whiz, what innovation.

Reactions: knoxvol16
Oh ok. Yeah Chip will be successful in a much weaker conference. I can agree with that. I also think Butch Jones will be successful in his weaker conference,
He lost by a field goal to Auburn with Cam Newton in the NCG, and seems to have had a pretty good run against the other SEC teams he’s faced. UCLA was arguably in a worse position than Tennessee when he took over, as far as talent goes. The man is no Saban, but he’s no Butch either.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
Vol fans saying chip couldn’t be successful in the SEC. His team looks pretty damn good.

He couldn't. He would've already been fired at Florida. No way Florida fans would've been like "he's 10-21 but we just need to give him a 4th year."

He was smart for going to UCLA. He's a better fit there. He was given time to build the program. SEC fan bases and programs don't have the patience. Moreover, Chip would've constantly been the center of attention in Gainesville, while no one gave a damn about him in LA.

That said, let's not declare him the greatest coach of all-time because he's 2-0. This may be more of an indictment of Ed Orgeron, who basically Fulmered / Chiziked his way into a national title.

Last edited:
Heck no. Orgeron is Chizik. He was super lucky to have Cam (and Malzahn) and O had Burrows and that OC.

So true. I think Orgeron is a bad head coach. What success he had at USC and LSU were with superior talent. Look at Ole Miss. CJH would love to have the La, Tx, and Ala recruiting area that Coach O has down there. In a bad year they are top 10 in recruits. They have the luxUrey of said talent staying home for the most part. Miles was just a step above in my opinion. Both won NC but not because of HCing

Reactions: Volatility
Pretty sure most of those people wanted Pruitt over both Chip Kelly and Mike Leach here at Tennessee. Good thing I don't take many people here on Volnation seriously.
Kelly was never an OR possibility. And Leach was gone with the change of AD. When it looked like it was Leach, I was good with it…I think that was the vast majority. Point is, this stewing point for you never went to the masses.

Chip will be successful there

Debatable. He needs to take advantage while USC is “down” but if they turn it around under Helton and dominate like they used to, CK will always play second fiddle. They looked better than LSU last night for sure, and I think they’re a bowl team, but I’m not ready to say they’re the class of the PAC-12.

I think LSU’s defense is trash and they’re overrated…. Let’s wait and see what happens with UCLA.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back