Chinese spy balloon hovering over Montana

Do the Chinese have the technology to builld a balloon that will carry something heavy enough to carry a lead lined cased that we can't suspect it's radioactive?
Not unless you know a way to reduce the molecular weight of helium. A given volume of helium is always able to lift exactly the same mass. They could lift more by switching to hydrogen; but that has a nasty habit of actually leaking through the ballon membrane or of combusting. And once again, the lifting power per volume is fixed. You can’t really miniaturize lighter than air vehicles

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Like they ever even planned to get it back 🙄. How exactly would they do that? Put it in reverse or just hope it gets blown all the way back around the earth?
The part they want could be released from the ballon, it could have a way to bring itself down, or quite simply, they could shoot it like others are wanting to. Not that hard of a concept. That’s if there is anything worth retrieving in or attached to it. The point I was making was if there was a piece left when I took it out of the sky, they darn sure wouldn’t get it back.

So your father who worked at some job at Oak Ridge at some point in the past says the US doesn't currently have the capability to detect radiation emitting from a giant balloon?

Think it was his father’s father. He was the dough flipper at Big Ed’s in 50s.

The part they want could be released from the ballon, it could have a way to bring itself down, or quite simply, they could shoot it like others are wanting to. Not that hard of a concept. That’s if there is anything worth retrieving in or attached to it. The point I was making was if there was a piece left when I took it out of the sky, they darn sure wouldn’t get it back.
I get your point. I Just think it was designed to be “disposable”. There just isn’t a workable plan to recover it short of landing it in the ocean right next to a Chinese warship. It ain’t going back to mainland China

You have me there. I really wanted to use the word dirigible. Not a lot of opportunities lol.
I agree 😂. Blimp is slightly more common.
By the way, the Zeppelin company is still in business in Fredrickshafen Germany near the Swiss border. You can take a sightseeing flight over the Bodensee in warmer months. Sadly they weren’t flying when I visited in Winter

Because they refuse to build rinks in the inner city
Damn. I thought it was because most black people are smart enough to live where they don't freeze their asses off.

Am I allowed to say that or is it racist? Maybe I should have said it's mostly white people who are stupid enough to live where it gets unbearably cold?

Or I guess I could have just said.... Canada.

Chinese Spy Balloon just passed over Eastern Kentucky. The DOD was able to intercept the final picture from its cameras
31F47200-276F-4261-BABF-0972B33F01AC.jpeg

Reactions: Wireless1
You guys remember that time that China rammed one of our spy planes and forced it to make an emergency landing in China? Just recalled that. Held our guys for a long time while they went through our plane. Good times. You control your airspace. Plain and simple. It’s fundamental.
If our story was accurate, the US plane was in international airspace when the incident happened.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Asians as a whole are very smart and disciplined people. What they lack is an ability to innovate due to their strict cultural beliefs. They act like a collective, a borg for those old enough to remember a 2nd generation Star Trek. No decision is ever left to an individual, they think and act as a group and because of that will never advance past mediocrity.
That's my opinion.
Asia's a big place. I guess you're referring to East Asia. Japan's advanced past mediocrity, and Korea and ROC are getting there. There's a move to boost innovation in a lot of the region, as leaders saw that stressing rote learning at the expense of logic and creativity put them at a disadvantage. In short, that gap is closing.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back