Chemistry has emerged as one of Lady Vols' biggest strengths

I like the way we've come together as a team, but still not happy with the rebounding effort don't like teams getting a lot of second chances to shoot the ball. Florida got way to many with 15 offensive rebounds. This is the one area where I think we could be a lot better and a lot tougher. Another area for improvement is getting to the free throw line were only getting there 17 times a game compared to most SEC teams in the top of the league averaging 22 to 24. Every small improvement could be plus five points for the team and minus five for the opponent and every point you can take away from an opponent is what a team is trying to achieve.

Reactions: sisaq
two responses from KJH "intentional - everything we do is Intentional ; and 2B the best team we can be in 2019-20. Talent wise the LVs are not at an elite level this year.

If I were to comment on what I observe improved is player movement and spacing with a purpose on offense ; and on defense an intensity of defensive movement from all players matching up and switching. The concerns most heard from boarders is when a LV players seems to be just standing around.

This is my biggest happy point at midseason, the restoration of at least the appearance of a decent team mindset. Probably the most disturbing aspect of the disaster of the last few seasons was the total and painfully obvious breakdown of cohesion and communication on all levels.

KJH and staff appear to have turned it around in impressive fashion. You could look at it two ways; on one hand things were so bad, the bar was so low, any semblance of team chemistry would be encouraging. On the other hand, things were so bad that a major hurdle was left to get over, and intangibles like trust in the system and in each other are really difficult to rebuild once broken.

Probably just the breath of fresh air of a new staff has helped a ton in this area. Still, the staff deserves copius credit, especially if they can continue to hone the apparently healthy current mindset.

Last edited:
This is my biggest happy point at midseason, the restoration of at least the appearance of a decent team mindset. Probably the most disturbing aspect of the disaster of the last few seasons was the total and painfully obvious breakdown of cohesion and communication on all levels.

KJH and staff appear to have turned it around in impressive fashion. You could look at it two ways; on one hand things were so bad, the bar was so low, any semblance of team chemistry would be encouraging. On the other hand, things were so bad that a major hurdle was left to get over, and intangibles like trust in the system and in each other are really difficult to rebuild once broken.

Probably just the breath of fresh air of a new staff has helped a ton in this area. Still, the staff deserves copius credit, especially if they can continue to hone the apparently healthy current mindset.

welcome back glv

I believe that this is a result of Kellie being able to channel what Coach Pat instilled in her when she was a player. This team is looking more like a Pat Summitt coached team then any since she was our coach. I'm liking what I am seeing so far.

GO LADY VOLS!
Yes, and if it is not a big part of Kellie's nature to be real leader, as Pat, this won't last. However, I think it is...Recalling my Chemistry at UTK, the Chemist sets up, watches, & guides the process. So, the product is dependent upon both the ingredient players & the coaching Chemist. The point is, team chemistry is more, usually much more, dependent on the coach than the players. As the coach sets the rules and largely the tone for the team.

Last edited:
Yes, and if it is not a big part of Kellie's nature to be real leader, as Pat, this won't last. However, I think it is...Recalling my Chemistry at UTK, the Chemist sets up, watches, & guides the process. So, the product is dependent upon both the ingredient players & the coaching Chemist.

And if Al will just ruffle his hair a little bit, they can rely upon support from a mad scientist.

Back to the future!

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
I've played for or coached teams that were defeated/winless and been on the other end where we won championships. Chemistry may be THE most important ingredient. For those of you that have played team sports you KNOW what I'm talking about methinks. For example many teams who just overwhelmingly win one season with pretty much the same or even improved personnel often fail the following season.

Reactions: VolBall09
I've played for or coached teams that were defeated/winless and been on the other end where we won championships. Chemistry may be THE most important ingredient. For those of you that have played team sports you KNOW what I'm talking about methinks. For example many teams who just overwhelmingly win one season with pretty much the same or even improved personnel often fail the following season.

It is important, maybe not the THE most important thing...a team of under five footers with perfect chemistry against a team of 6 footers with no chemistry...as a coach I can find combinations that work within 12 players,,,I can't make them grow

Anyone else wondering if Meme Collins wish she had stayed?

I wonder that sometimes because Mimi said she grew up a LV fan. She would be having a ball going in there and rebounding with reckless abandon like these ladies.

I also think we would have seen growth in passing out of double teams...

Tonite I don’t think she would have wanted to stay because MD won but there are probably sometimes where TN would have lost in the past and they have won that might her go hmmmm🤔

All in all I think she might be happier to be closer to home and her family can watch her play next season. I wish she could play this season I wanted to see her growth and liked her! If anyone was truly bothered by the coaching change and needing a fresh start it was her.

Reactions: lvocd
Coach K and I agree on one very important thing,,"No one is bigger than the team"

For her,,,She can find equal talent in the HS talent pool or the transfer portals.

For me,,,I just create a better version,, to beat the other one.

This is Key

May I ask: Did Coach Harper actually agree with you (in person or writing) to be called "Coach K" (or possibly, is this just something of your preference)?

Do you have a link(s), showing where anyone else is referring to her as "Coach K" (anyone else, as in Team players, Assistants, AD ; Media ; other University Head Coaches)?

Reactions: aretha57
May I ask: Did Coach Harper actually agree with you (in person or writing) to be called "Coach K" (or possibly, is this just something of your preference)?

Do you have a link(s), showing where anyone else is referring to her as "Coach K" (anyone else, as in Team players, Assistants, AD ; Media ; other University Head Coaches)?

Still waiting on her call...

How other people refer to her?.. Don't care

Next question?

pull that wedgie out, rex. you're starting to whine.

Still waiting on her call...

How other people refer to her?.. Don't care

Next question?

Fair enough, and thanks. I do care (on multiple levels) -- and it seems/looks and sounds quite odd, to me (I'm trying to find any long-term value in it << and my opinion has nothing to do with your personal coaching/training and game analysis abilities, which I do appreciate).

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Anyone else wondering if Meme Collins wish she had stayed?

I think there has to be at least some regret. Maryland has been up and down and their team Chemistry is questionable at best. I feel like they have many of the same issues this year that we had last year.

You can’t tell me she hasn’t been seeing her former teammates smiling and improving. I really think she was Holly faithful and just thought being closer to home would be better after she left. I really wish she’d have stayed. She really would have played a big role on this team, especially after Zaay went down.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Fair enough, and thanks. I do care (on multiple levels) -- and it seems/looks and sounds quite odd, to me (I'm trying to find any long-term value in it << and my opinion has nothing to do with your personal coaching/training and game analysis abilities, which I do appreciate).

first, thank you for that

Coach K is what "I" call her.
I'm not asking anyone else to call her that.
(and pretty much no one else has)
I refer to myself often as Coach J.
Simple enough, nothing derogatory meant.

I have expressed my total support for Kellie. I watched her play several times at UTC in the SEC tourney in 96/97 and 97/98.
There is no malice in me, but there is expectations, for ANY coach of my team...To replace a legend.

When I say Coach k, it is in direct reference to Coach Kellie, not a comparison to that other "coach k"
others may hold him in reverence, but he is a men's coach so to me, he is not in Kellie's world.
Nor mine

Personally I find it hard for me as a grown man to call another coach Coach Mark, Coach TIm or Coach Lisa....it makes me feel like a kid when someone tells them to refer to his teacher as "Mister Dan or Miss Julie".

I am Coach Jumper because words ending in ch, going into words starting with a el are a hard transition to make quickly
Coach J is easy to say quickly, Coach "El" runs together when said quickly,,,sounds like "Co-chell", not "coach......EL"

As I said, I have idiosyncrasies

VN Store

Back