Anyone saying we lose when we Checker….. We have lost because of the coaches, culture, and lack of depth/recruiting we’ve had over the past 15 years, not because of the Checker. The Checker adds to the atmosphere and culture we wish to create as fans. Or should at least. Also, we’ve lost way more in our traditional units over the last 15 and havnt really won much more. 🤷🏻♂️
More accurately, our Checker Neyland winning percentage is low (20%) because (a) we've been in a slump since it was invented and (b) we've checkered the games against some very good opponents most of those years.
Florida...#5 Oklahoma...#14 Florida...#2 Georgia...#11 Ole Miss
Let's break that down:
1. The 2014 Florida Gators weren't all that good. In their 2nd game of the season, it took them 3 overtimes to finally beat Kentucky, and in week 3 they lost to Bama something like 40-20. BUT we were even less far along. Butch's second season, still trying to build something, anything, out of the Dooley mess. It wasn't enough, though the game was close. We lost 10-9.
2. The 2015 Oklahoma Sooners were the #5 team in the country. We almost beat them in a checkered Neyland stadium. Came down to overtime in a thrilling game.
3. The 2016 season saw our first checkered Neyland victory, a 38-28 stomp-down of the Gators. And a decent Gators team, too, they ended the year ranked #14 in the land.
4. Ending the early run of this new tradition, in 2017 we checkered the stadium against the eventual #2, Georgia.
5. Then, after a three year break from checkering the stadium (we never did it with Pruitt as head coach, that's one thing he didn't tarnish), we had a real opportunity in Josh Heupel's first year. We checkered against Ole Miss. Everyone knows how that turned out: tie. With the referees giving the tie-breaker to Ole Miss. Who ended the season the #11 team in the country.
So let's don't put bad juju on Checker Neyland. It's an awesome new tradition. We just asked it to lift some really heavy weights in its infancy.
As it matures, I expect it to be a victory formation for Tennessee fandom.
I’ve always felt like we played well in all the games we have checked.
You win some you lose some, I know, I know we have been losing more than we are used to, but, playing a competitive game counts as worth watching.
There’re no moral victories, when it comes to the win column.
I could go for Black and Orange in the Fall.
I don’t know if fan interaction matters to the outcome of the games, but the players and coaches seem to have a lot to say about the subject. I’ll take their word for it, they want an engaged, knowledgeable fan base, that’s Volnation. We know when to be loud we know when to be quite(That’s actually hard to do after a big play that gets us close to the checkerboards.), so, give all, the players will win games for us.
I’m really looking forward to seeing how great this year’s team can be.
Im all for it!! I always go to the stadium early on Checker Neyland games. It really is cool to see the stadium fill in, first time I didnt think there was any way it would look good, but it is glorious