Checker Neyland BYU

Andy Pulley

It looks awesome in person and on TV. There is not anything negative about it. Fans, players, and recruits love it. It's not A Butch thing; fans organized it. Let's bring it back once a year.
Spread the word: Sept 7th, night game on ESPN vs BYU!
Go Vols! Let's do it.FB_IMG_1565463550770.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's been brought up many times, but let's do it again. It looks awesome in person and on TV. There is not anything negative about it. Fans, players, and recruits love it. It's not A Butch thing; fans organized it. Let's bring it back once a year. My vote goes for Sept 7th, night game on ESPN vs BYU!
Go Vols! Let's do it.
Probably will get crucified for this but for everything Butch lacked in coaching he made up for in pushing for “fan/player friendly” experiences. Third down for what... can’t here the song now without getting a little fired up for the vols, checker Neyland was epic, uniforms (personally loved them, hate the old school black cleat bs), enjoyed the motivational tactics (although they became worn out near the end).

Probably will get crucified for this but for everything Butch lacked in coaching he made up for in pushing for “fan/player friendly” experiences. Third down for what... can’t here the song now without getting a little fired up for the vols, checker Neyland was epic, uniforms (personally loved them, hate the old school black cleat bs), enjoyed the motivational tactics (although they became worn out near the end).

Was kinda with you until you mentioned the black cleats. Love the black cleats.

I wouldn't give Butch too much credit. I'm sure there were people behind the scenes who made it all happen. The grays were awesome, but we're worn too much. Once a year or every other year is fine. One year they wore them vs Vandy on senior day and another time in a bowl game. Third Down for What was sweet in the beginning, but was played too many times for too long.

Was kinda with you until you mentioned the black cleats. Love the black cleats.
Man isn’t it crazy how something like the cleats can be loved by some while hated by others, can’t please everyone.... glad you enjoy them though, soak it in!

Man isn’t it crazy how something like the cleats can be loved by some while hated by others, can’t please everyone.... glad you enjoy them though, soak it in!

Well thanks, I believe I will. And as long as Fulmer is there they aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: goooooovols
I wouldn't give Butch too much credit. I'm sure there were people behind the scenes who made it all happen. The grays were awesome, but we're worn too much. Once a year or every other year is fine. One year they wore them vs Vandy on senior day and another time in a bowl game. Third Down for What was sweet in the beginning, but was played too many times for too long.
I agree with you. They shouldnt be worn often, but that year for the bowl game i think they wore them to honor the Gatlinburg fire. Correct me if im wrong though.

A thing of BEAUTY.

CheckerNeyland.jpg

I know it's been brought up many times, but let's do it again. It looks awesome in person and on TV. There is not anything negative about it. Fans, players, and recruits love it. It's not A Butch thing; fans organized it. Let's bring it back once a year. My vote goes for Sept 7th, night game on ESPN vs BYU!
Go Vols! Let's do it.

It may be a great way to open the season and certainly grabs the attention of both TV broadcasters and recruits. On TV, I've seen it shown and mentioned even on out of state stations. It looks great, combined with Neyland noise, fantastic!

Last edited:
The only reason not to checker is the folks that need to wear white. Many Vol fans still wear Orange to games.
I'm sure most folks have a white shirt or can get one very cheap. It doesn't have to be a UT shirt. It's been shown that if we, the fans, plan this thing, the white sections fill in nicely.

It would be cool if they spelled out Rocky Top or Go Vols or Tennessee. I’m kind of tired of the checkered stadiums.

VN Store

Back