Charlie Strong joining Alabama coaching staff as defensive analyst for Crimson Tide, per report

The other question is, if he had chances to join other SEC staffs (I take that to mean actual coaching positions) why join Alabama as an analyst. Do these guys really value the chance to work under Saban that much or is there something else going on here?

Did a little digging on how many analysts Bama has and ran across this.

Do you know the 12 analysts that Alabama has on staff for football?

This entire article details out what these analysts do, from breaking down film, advising assistant coaches, etc, and also that they do not coach on the field, yet, I see bunch Jones on the sidelines every Saturday and he is coaching players.

What gives? Seems like there is some loophole or rule being broken by him being on the sidelines.

This entire article details out what these analysts do, from breaking down film, advising assistant coaches, etc, and also that they do not coach on the field, yet, I see bunch Jones on the sidelines every Saturday and he is coaching players.

What gives? Seems like there is some loophole or rule being broken by him being on the sidelines.

They can be on the sidelines and talk to players, kind of like how every S&C coach operates. But they aren't allowed to discuss strategy or be on headsets.

Reactions: rjd970
They can be on the sidelines and talk to players, kind of like how every S&C coach operates. But they aren't allowed to discuss strategy or be on headsets.
In a general sense (meaning any school at anytime).

Who governs what is actually said between an "analyst" and a player by comparison to an assistant coach and a player?

The headset stuff makes sense. That's something you can actually see and from a distance.

Reactions: BUBear
Father Saban's Home for Wayward Coaches continues its charitable work in the community....

Funny how it's mostly been successful for so many former coaches ... but not Butch.

It's not merely sour grapes when I say this, but I think Butch has shot himself in the foot with his petulant behavior when he left Tennessee in 2017 and his behavior since then at Bama. It's not a good look at all, particularly smoking the cigar after beating the Tennessee team he put together. That stuff makes UT fans angry, but it also makes ADs and boosters much more skeptical of hiring him. Contrast Butch's behavior when fired with someone like Ron Zook or Will Muschamp (who both finished out their coaching job even after being fired); Zook and Muschamp were both crap but they got second chances, because they showed a genuine concern for the program and the players.

I think major programs will continue to be reluctant to hire Butch because of his behavior.

The other question is, if he had chances to join other SEC staffs (I take that to mean actual coaching positions) why join Alabama as an analyst. Do these guys really value the chance to work under Saban that much or is there something else going on here?

He’s getting a foot in the door so that If this season isn’t up to standards he’ll be named DC and Jones will cry.

Reactions: feathersax
Pete Golding is on notice. The plague of defensive injuries made it only fair to give Golding another shot in 2020. But the defense better rebound immediately or Strong will be the DC by year end.

What if Muschamp isn’t retained after this season? Seems like a natural fit to me for him to go back and be Saban’s D coordinator.

Reactions: feathersax
They’ll be Co DCs If strong doesent get another offer after a year of rehab
Strong has two failed stops at the moment, Texas and USF. I'm not sure any FBS team will pull the trigger on him for a couple of years.

I think he's a decent coach, but was a victim of being in a position of having a great QB (Bridgewater) who elevated the whole team to another level.

Strong has two failed stops at the moment, Texas and USF. I'm not sure any FBS team will pull the trigger on him for a couple of years.

I think he's a decent coach, but was a victim of being in a position of having a great QB (Bridgewater) who elevated the whole team to another level.

Perfect for Strong and Muschamp to be Co-Coordinators . Combined failures at 2 of the best jobs in the country and 2 places where a bowl appearance is good enough.

The only restriction that I'm aware of is that someone who is just an "analyst" is not allowed to wear a headset but there is nothing wrong with them being on the sideline and giving instructions to players.

Reactions: rjd970
Perfect for Strong and Muschamp to be Co-Coordinators . Combined failures at 2 of the best jobs in the country and 2 places where a bowl appearance is good enough.

And if they can somehow co exist they could have a defense that’s another level of dominant honestly

Reactions: Remy

VN Store

Back