‘23 Charles Woods (West Virginia Transfer)

Didn’t see a thread for this one. Could be a massive get.

Massive get??

Enrolled into Illinois State in 2018.
Transferred to SMU Mar 2021
from SMU to WVU in April 2021.
1 "big" year in 2021 (29 tkls 2 int) in the Big 12.
by comparison Kamal Hadden 37 tkls 2 int this year.
And has now entered transfer portal AGAIN (3rd time).

Some of you all could stand to do some research...

Massive get??

But some posters think the players (who chose to play for this program over other programs) on our team are trash and anyone is better

Massive get??

Using tackles as your main way to compare corners isn't the best idea

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
Massive get??

Tackles mean nothing when you're getting beat every play..truthfully you don't want your Corners with a lot of tackles..that means they are getting beat instead of having pass breakups or just good coverage. Any Vol Fan that has watched Hadden knows how bad he is..He talks so much smack for a guy that gets beat almost every play. I want a DB to get his tackles on Blitzes and playing the run game and not giving up 15, 30 or more yard completions then making the tackle.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
In case anyone was wondering, WVU gives up 34.2 ppg. Vols give up 25.6

WVU defense gave up:

- 38 to Pitt
- 55 to Kansas
- 38 to Texas
- 40 to Baylor
- 48 to Texas Tech
- 41 to TCU
- 31 to ISU
- 48 to K State
So all these points are only bc of this transfer corner and he sucks?

Tackles mean nothing when you're getting beat every play..truthfully you don't want your Corners with a lot of tackles..that means they are getting beat instead of having pass breakups or just good coverage. Any Vol Fan that has watched Hadden knows how bad he is..He talks so much smack for a guy that gets beat almost every play. I want a DB to get his tackles on Blitzes and playing the run game and not giving up 15, 30 or more yard completions then making the tackle.
It's exactly WHY I used Hadden.

This dude wasn't shutting down one side of the field....and still only 2 picks?

It's a testament to how bad the Big 12 is, and that this dude has been playing college ball since Jarrett Gaurantano was a RS freshman and he's still trying to find a way to stand out???

Transfer. Transfer, transfer I mean come on...

Thank You! Someone with some sense. If your DB's have a lot of tackles , then they aren't defending passes, are getting beat a lot then making tackles 25+ yards later.
You're basing that off our DBs.

Many other DBs compile big stats because they are making plays. Flying to the ball. Adapting film study with their great athleticism. Alontae had more tackles than Hadden so I guess that means Hadden is better??

You can't just make a generic statement like that and then talk about "having sense".

I think this is strickly on the coaching! Our players were playing out of position. Bad tackling and angles can be corrected. These kids been playing football for years.

So have the guys at Vandy, Carson Newman, MTSU, Memphis, etc.

Everyone has been playing for years. The issue is talent

^ Some of yuns sure do hate the team you love ^

So stating facts equates to hating the team you love? So if you ever say a TN player sucks for whatever reason that means you hate the team? Well I guess if that’s the case based on the comments made about guys like JG and Jumper, almost everyone on here hates the Vols

In case anyone was wondering, WVU gives up 34.2 ppg. Vols give up 25.6

WVU defense gave up:

- 38 to Pitt
- 55 to Kansas
- 38 to Texas
- 40 to Baylor
- 48 to Texas Tech
- 41 to TCU
- 31 to ISU
- 48 to K State
And he was the cause of it?

People have to remember that a lot of portal players are players that didn’t receive a lot of playing time. Now you will have some that come out from teams with a lot of depth. Just saying not all portal players are created equal. Not all of them are going to help your team no matter who it is. It is important to be able to pick and find the ones you think will make a positive impact on your team and not the opposite. I have faith this staff will persue the right players. GBO

So stating facts equates to hating the team you love? So if you ever say a TN player sucks for whatever reason that means you hate the team? Well I guess if that’s the case based on the comments made about guys like JG and Jumper, almost everyone on here hates the Vols

If I said you were trash, that you suck, that literally anyone would be better than you - does that sound I like you? Or ….?

I do my fair share of yelling at the TV and honestly get so dang mad I might yell so and so sucks at the TV but then I get on a message board and see it written and I personally wouldnt. These are still kids and a bunch of grown men on a internet board just trashing kids for their team for a week straight. We've got what we got. These kids chose to come here. More talented ones chose not to. So at least show them some kind of respect that you'd want some grown dude to show your kid if he was struggling in front of the whole country. I'm not saying they don't deserve criticism but some of these people are just harsh and go way overboard with it lol. The south carolina game was a crap show. We still have a chance to finish 11-2 two years removed from a 3-7 season and 30 transfers afterwards. I'm not sold on Martinez or Banks think both should be gone because I do think they could get better productions out of our current players.

The best transfers won't be hitting the portal until after championship weekend. Most of these other guys entering now are just someone else's scrubs.

Takes more than 1 to make an awesome defense. There’s plenty of terrible defenses that have at least 1 player who could help even the best defenses.

This. We gave up 40 points in 5 games in 2007. Back then that was like giving up 50 in 5 games. Does that mean E Berry was terrible?

Reactions: Vol8188
You're basing that off our DBs.

Many other DBs compile big stats because they are making plays. Flying to the ball. Adapting film study with their great athleticism. Alontae had more tackles than Hadden so I guess that means Hadden is better??

You can't just make a generic statement like that and then talk about "having sense".

It's not generic if it's true lil guy. Hadden also missed several games, but no Hadden isn't better. But I know that from watching them both, not based off stats. Taylor was a good cover corner but not great by any means. Taylor also is way more physical than Hadden and was used a lot more than Hadden in run defense. Now the intelligent part. Taylor played in 44 games and had 162 tackes, which is 3.82 a game...Hadden 13 games with 54 tackles..an average of 4.15 a game. So you trying to compare the two is a bad comparison because of lack of games played by Hadden. But if you do the average then Hadden would have more Tackles than Taylor based off the same amount of games at 44. So that makes Taylor having fewer tackles per game. So your argument is irrelevant. Now PBU's is a better way to judge a DB. In 44 games, Taylor had 15 PBU's in 44 games, which is .36 a game and Hadden has 3 in 13 games, .23 a game. I think we can all agree that Cam Sutton has been one of our better CB's the last 15 yrs..He played in 44 games with 30 PBU's. Which is .68 a game. Like I said, PBU's to me are a better way of judging a DB then it's 2nd. Tackles are harder because are they giving up long passes then making tackles or do the Coach's have him as a Blitzer and helping as a run stopper. With Hadden I think we can agree it's giving up catch after catch. Sometimes he tackles them and sometimes he's looking at the back of their jersey. Now if they are a safety then you can judge them by their tackle stats and int's. Take Pat Surtain Jr from Ala..in 40 games he had 116 tackles, less than 3 a game and had 24 PBU's in 40 games, which is .6 a game. That is far from generic my dude.

VN Store

Back