Chapman Hwy

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
I am curious as to what Champman Highway is like now. Years ago when I was a student, I lived in apartments off of Chapman. Back then there were apartments called College Park, a Shoney's, Ruby Tuesday and Krystals. There as also a Kroger across from a Pilot and back towards the river was a Great American Buffet plus a couple of small shopping center. One of those is where I would get my $7 hair cut! As I remember, Chapman was pretty much cut off when they began working on the bridge either (Helm) or (Gay) can't remember.

Has anyone traveled it lately or been through there recently? Did it ever come back? Seems I was told when the bridge went down, the area also went down.

I am curious as to what Champman Highway is like now. Years ago when I was a student, I lived in apartments off of Chapman. Back then there were apartments called College Park, a Shoney's, Ruby Tuesday and Krystals. There as also a Kroger across from a Pilot and back towards the river was a Great American Buffet plus a couple of small shopping center. One of those is where I would get my $7 hair cut! As I remember, Chapman was pretty much cut off when they began working on the bridge either (Helm) or (Gay) can't remember.

Has anyone traveled it lately or been through there recently? Did it ever come back? Seems I was told when the bridge went down, the area also went down.
I’m pretty sure those apartments have changed names multiple times and are now unofficially section 8 housing. That bridge shut down really hurt that area.

Woodmeade South Apts? What years?

Lived in College Park myself, just up the hill from Woodemeade South. Lived there the first 2 years they were open and since they were new, it was the place to be. That was '95-97 and the area was run down then. Then I worked on Chapman Hwy from '09-'16 and it hadn't changed much. Henley street and the hospital closing down really did kill the area. Haven't been back since but I know the hospital is gone and they were planning on a revitalization of the south side. Not sure how it's going.

went down? It was **** hole then.
It’s a **** hole now. The Ruby’s is closed. They’ve built a bunch of nice multi unit housing near Henley Street Bridge and completely redone the old Baptist hospital area.

But for the most part it’s still a traffic disaster with nasty looking store fronts and it’s share of homeless.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Lived in College Park myself, just up the hill from Woodemeade South. Lived there the first 2 years they were open and since they were new, it was the place to be. That was '95-97 and the area was run down then. Then I worked on Chapman Hwy from '09-'16 and it hadn't changed much. Henley street and the hospital closing down really did kill the area. Haven't been back since but I know the hospital is gone and they were planning on a revitalization of the south side. Not sure how it's going.
My patio faced that way and we watched the construction of CP before it was opened. I bet we crossed paths a few times at the weekend parties.

A girl died right behind us in a snowstorm, after sledding down the hill and catching her head on a guardrail that she went under.

Chapman really was a bunghole, even then, but it was cheap and we were poor. Plus, I worked part time at Baptist Hospital, so it was super convenient for both that and the commute to UT. A bit of a hike, but we walked to several football games and concerts at the WFP. We had Disc Exchange, Kroger, Arby's, Checkers, and the Steak and Buffet Company when we really wanted to gorge.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Woodmeade South Apts? What years?
I'm not very sure of what the name was. I remember the rent was cheap versus other apartments in Knoxville and for me, it was almost perfectly located. The years of '03/'04. I could hit Chapman and run right up to Pigeon Forge. Single worst thing is that if I headed west on the interstate, Knoxville traffic was absolutely terrible. I did not know till my graduation that had I gone to Alcoa Hwy I could have taken that bypass from Maryville to 40 West!

Regal Cinemas built their corporate headquarters where Baptist was. Kerns is being renovated to be a restaurant/shopping thing I believe. A little further south on Chapman was where Randy Boyd's dad wanted to build the Shire, literally the Hobbit like Shire as a tourist attraction but it fell through.

VN Store

Back