Change my mind - Sam Pittman

It's way to early to judge Heupel at this point but Arky won 1 SEC game in 2017, 0 SEC games in 2018 and 0 SEC games in 2019. In yr 1 Pittman won 3 SEC games and had the Auburn game literally stolen from them. In his second game of yr 2, his team brutalized Texas.

Two things can be true. Heupel can be a good hire and have a successful program at UT and Pittman could be surprisingly good at Arky.

Someone literally making an argument Pittman would have been a better hire.

Pittman won 3 sec games his first season…….we have yet to see what Heupel can do……..2 games in.

will Tennessee beat a decent team by 19 points next year…….who knows YET.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I'm sure Arkansas would love to have you cheer for them since you have a sudden love affair with their coach that won 3 games last year.

Took over an Arkansas team that went without a win in the SEC for 2 years. Morris recruited outside of the Top 15 each year

Pittman took those same recruits that hadn't won an SEC game and went 3-7 with wins against UT, MSST, and Ole Miss

He is now 2-0 in year 2 with a win over a top 25 team

Lack of talent isnt always an excuse. Most times its lack of coaching ability and getting the most out of your players

Heupel will need to either learn this or out recruit his ability as a coach. Talent often hides imperfections in coaching

Arky had Big smash mouth types under previous coaches, which is necessary in the SEC , they know who they are and want to be,
Consistency + better coaching = quicker success.
UT does a 180 every time they get a new coach, wanting different types of players each time.

Sec only played 10 games last year no way he won 4 games.. And Texas is a dumpster fire. Tennessee could beat them

Why? Because they beat a crappy Texas team? These situations are totally different. Pittman is a great coach, and I hope he does well, but judging a staff that has coached 13 games to a staff that has coached 2 is ridiculous. Also, UT had an unbelievable amount of talented players leave because they were caught getting paid by the previous staff. I don't recall Pittman having to go through that.

Meh I think Pittman is a good coach, for those saying he won 3 games..... they didn't win a conference game for the previous 2 years. Thats a solid first year for Arkansas and their program.
Tennessee should never be mentioned with Arkansas historically speaking. That said if we win 3 conference games Heupels first year we are going bowling. At the beginning of the year I thought 7-5 at this point im not sure we win 5. 6-6 is doable but not with Milton. If he continues to ride with Milton it will be a long season.

FWIW, I think Pittman is a very good coach. However he probably has a relatively low ceiling as a HC. Could be good strategy by Arkansas to let someone like him establish a foundation then bring someone else in to finish it.

Year two vs year one
71 scholarship players vs 85 scholarship players
Impending NCAA sanctions

Apples, meet oranges.

So Arkansas is the apples? :p
How do you know that? His play calling and in -game decisions today were some of the worst I have seen in recent memory.

Really? Name a single decision that was questionable, let alone multiple ones. Most fans are pretty happy with the offensive play calling in both our first games. The issue hasn't been play calling, but execution. I truly can't understand what some people on here post, as it seems completely disconnected with reality.o_O

Ppl get excited about other coaches way too soon. Ppl thought McElwain was great at Florida until he sucked then was fired. Pittman looks good so far, I’ll say he’s much better than the previous coach. Heupel is also much better than the previous head coach. Can’t say much else about either, usually know what you have in a coach by year three. Heupel probably gets an extra year just bc of how much attrition we suffered and the possible sanctions over the program effecting recruiting.

I would say 2 games is awfully early to be trying to choose the next coach, but honestly folks have been at it since before Heupel was even named.

I seriously dont understand how anyone can be anything other than optimistic about Heupel at this point. At a minimum, I could see being undecided. But to have already made up your mind that he is going to fail???? Me no comprehendo

Watching Sam Pittman do a Phoenix rising from the ashes thing to the Arkansas football program makes me look at what UT coulda had.

Who knows if he would have come to UT, but he shoulda have been on Fulmer's radar, being a former OL coach himself.

This Pruitt hire seems worse and worse all the time.

Reactions: Remy
Watching Sam Pittman do a Phoenix rising from the ashes thing to the Arkansas football program makes me look at what UT coulda had.

Who knows if he would have come to UT, but he shoulda have been on Fulmer's radar, being a former OL coach himself.

This Pruitt hire seems worse and worse all the time.
This fanbase would’ve Schiano’d him.

”you can’t give the HC job to a position coach”

Lots of folks here scoffed at Arkansas for giving him the job

VN Store

Back