Change my mind - Sam Pittman

He has a history of being good which is a step above our previous HC hires.
Pruitt was a first time coach. I wouldn’t say Heupel’s previous HC record was better than Butch’s. He inherited an excellent squad and by year 2 had regressed significantly.

Jones inability to use Kamara kinda does it for me. Does this thread have a statute of limitation concerning Dooley? That too is a whole other conversation. Does seem to be a work in progress but not sure the last time I saw a TN team playing with this much energy as the 1st 2 games this year.
Kamara was used at UT just like he was used with the Saints for the first three years. Similar production in carries and receptions.

Pruitt was a first time coach. I wouldn’t say Heupel’s previous HC record was better than Butch’s. He inherited an excellent squad and by year 2 had regressed significantly.

Well maybe if you paid the coaches mortgage you would have more say in who they hired. But you don’t and you wont.

CJH will either get it done or wont. Year 1 is going to be bad no matter who loses the game for us. That’s the reality of the revolving door coaching changes.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Don’t see how he could be as bad as Pruitt but definitely do not see anything as of today that he will have more success than Butch. I’ll cut him some slack this year because the deck is stacked against him with the number of scholarship players available.

Good points. Honestly though, I will be happy with 3 straight 9 win seasons and bowl wins right now.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Too many examples under Dooley...all worse than anything we saw yesterday. Play here and play there we win yesterday. That eliminates you from any competition in a bad playcalling competition.
I find memory function quite selective to many posters on this board. Glad you are not one of them. One guy seems to think Kamara was used appropriately at UT. If the current Coach is making the same mistakes in year 3 this thread may hold water, at this point I see positives with lots of room for improvement. If I had the foresight to make an accurate assessment in his 2nd game, I should probably engage in sports betting.

So.. who was your choice? Be reasonable and please be realistic about who would have taken the job under all circumstances.

A lot went on in his second year, who knows how his 3rd or 4th year would have been. I like this coach and think good things for the Vols are to come.

I hope Pittman is successful at Arky. But, this comparison is riddled with poor reasoning. Let’s compare Heupel’s 2nd year with Pittman’s 2nd when we get there.

Imo Heupel is going to have better results at UT than Pittman will have at Arky BUT Arky got jobbed out of a win last yr at Auburn and he should have finished 4-6 with an all SEC schedule with one of if not the toughest schedule in the nation. From where Arky was on the day he was hired to where they are today and dominating Tex is nothing short of remarkable.

I find memory function quite selective to many posters on this board. Glad you are not one of them. One guy seems to think Kamara was used appropriately at UT. If the current Coach is making the same mistakes in year 3 this thread may hold water, at this point I see positives with lots of room for improvement. If I had the foresight to make an accurate assessment in his 2nd game, I should probably engage in sports betting.
Kamara was an underused weapon…few would argue otherwise. I think he unintentionally benefitted (long term)…he’s not the workhorse type. The lessened carries dropped his draft stock but landing at New Orleans was his perfect match with a HC who knew how to use him. To piggyback your point, I didn’t see any ruts in playcalling…which is a death knell imo. The defense rarely guessed right, it was mostly execution. As the players become more and more game tested, I think we see the nuances that make this offense click.

Reactions: TNbuc2
So.. who was your choice? Be reasonable and please be realistic about who would have taken the job under all circumstances.
This is not a question of who I thought we could get but that we had to settle for Heupel. My response was to the poster who thought Heupel was a great choice. He wasn’t.

So true right now!

In fairness, you have to wait until next year to compare them in year 2 to year 2. That said, Pittman and his staff appears head and shoulders over the product UT is putting on the field. If only we could get that solid. I thought Chaney and Pittman were pretty good friends and the story went something like Chaney wanted to retifre in East Tennessee whereas Pittman wanted to retire in Arkansas.

I watched the game. Arkansas was far more physical. Texas had no clue who was going to hit them next.

Not sure why anyone cares about Arkansas, but he did hire elite coordinators and is the best OL coach in cfb. That's a deadly trio. Can't lie.

Now, can they attract the talent? We'll see.

How do you know that? His play calling and in -game decisions today were some of the worst I have seen in recent memory.
I think JH does a good job for the talent he has on hand. Execution wasn't great but play calling was pretty solid. This team can score some points.

Lol

Arkansas beats a very over rated Texas and suddenly………

Some of you people

He’s 5-7 in his career so far…….who knows what will happen in the FUTURE.

Pittman 2 games into year 2
Heupel 2 games into a program coming off their worst season ever.

Lol

Arkansas beats a very over rated Texas and suddenly………

Some of you people

f

Pittman 2 games into year 2
Heupel 2 games into a program coming off their worst season ever.

It's way to early to judge Heupel at this point but Arky won 1 SEC game in 2017, 0 SEC games in 2018 and 0 SEC games in 2019. In yr 1 Pittman won 3 SEC games and had the Auburn game literally stolen from them. In his second game of yr 2, his team brutalized Texas.

Two things can be true. Heupel can be a good hire and have a successful program at UT and Pittman could be surprisingly good at Arky.

Reactions: mpfvol and Bret178

VN Store

Back