Change my mind - Sam Pittman

It’s hard to say. Everyone needs to take a deep breath. I’ll say this though…heupel has done a very poor job. The Milton decision was huge and he should’ve played multiple qbs to start. That’s what most coaches would’ve done in that situation. He was a new coach and none of the QBs on the roster had really played before. All he got to see was 12 practices where they’re going through drills basically. You can’t simulate game speed in practice. He should’ve named a started but said he was going to get hooker Amd Bailey a few series a piece and let the position sort itself out as the season progressed. It’s basically what kiffin did last year with his 2 QBs. So just turning the position over to Milton and then not even giving anyone else a serious when he priced to be absolutely terrible through 6 series was just a really find decision. Almost as dumb as it was to go from a shotgun snap multiple times on short yardage situations. Now…all that being said we have to get in board or we are going to be miserable. Heupel is going to be given at least 4 seasons here. We’ve had too much turnover and the ad’s legacy will be tied to heupel. Just because he crapped the bed of the handling of the QBs (his first significant decision) doesn’t mean he’s an idiot. He had some nice plays drawn up today. The blocked punt was intentional and we had a few times wrs we’re running down the field uncovered early. Again…had he made a better decision at qb we’d probably be talking about what a great job scheming he’s done so far. Time will tell why he is as a head coach

So am I. When Pruitt overrode Chaney and had Guarantano throw a pass they had never practiced against Auburn? That turned a lead in scoring position for another into a pick six and an eventual loss? That rates less? Butch shelving John Kelly on the goal line and passing 4 straight times against Florida? Hell…Kiffin running the same inside rush 4 straight times against UCLA? How long you been awake, Rip?
Jones inability to use Kamara kinda does it for me. Does this thread have a statute of limitation concerning Dooley? That too is a whole other conversation. Does seem to be a work in progress but not sure the last time I saw a TN team playing with this much energy as the 1st 2 games this year.

Jones inability to use Kamara kinda does it for me. Does this thread have a statute of limitation concerning Dooley? That too is a whole other conversation. Does seem to be a work in progress but not sure the last time I saw a TN team playing with this much energy as the 1st 2 games this year.
Too many examples under Dooley...all worse than anything we saw yesterday. Play here and play there we win yesterday. That eliminates you from any competition in a bad playcalling competition.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Pittman won 3 games last year in year 1, and beat Rice last week....change my mind

Arkansas hadn’t won a league game in 2 years before Pittman arrived and he won 3 in his first year. They are now 2-0 with a curb stomp of the #15 team in the country with inferior talent. Pittman is miles ahead of Heupel at this point

Arkansas hadn’t won a league game in 2 years before Pittman arrived and he won 3 in his first year. They are now 2-0 with a curb stomp of the #15 team in the country with inferior talent. Pittman is miles ahead of Heupel at this point
Pittman did not take over a program in any worse shape than Heupel, and a good argument could be made that is was better due to a depleted roster at UT. Heupel is in his first year; you can't compare the coaches at this point in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

To be fair. Fulmer and Cutcliffe didn’t realize Manning was the best QB in the roster either until the 1 and 2 went down..

Reactions: ptcarter
Pittman did not take over a program in any worse shape than Heupel, and a good argument could be made that is was better due to a depleted roster at UT. Heupel is in his first year; you can't compare the coaches at this point in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Oh really? Pittman took over a team that hadn’t won a league game in 2 years. That roster was awful, believe me I know. I live here. They just beat the crap out of Texas with a QB who cannot throw the ball

Reactions: BigALWiLson
If Heupel doesn’t make it, we should hire Kevin Kelley. He always on side kicks, never punts, and always goes for two. He just got hired this season at Presbyterian College and has won his first two games as HC 84-43, and 68-3.

In high school he had a HC record of 216-29-1 and broke 15 national records in 18 seasons.

Might as well, right? Would be entertaining to watch lol

538 yards and 10 TD’s 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 3F568544-7B5F-4933-B69C-612AC50C7443.jpeg
    3F568544-7B5F-4933-B69C-612AC50C7443.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 3
Pittman is doing a great job at Arky considering what he inherited, no doubt. It's way, way too early to compare his Arkansas job to Heupel here yet who has coached two games. Overall, I was proud of the way we fought yesterday, I haven't seen that in a while. This game was always a pick'em at best, anybody that expected this team to beat Pitt by double digits or thought there was anything beyond an if wishes were horses chance this team would win 8 or 9 games, you deceived yourself, and you have no one but yourself to blame. I don't care what talent a team may have, installing brand new systems on both sides of the ball is always tough, not even considering all the turmoil, turnover and psychological damage the Gump inflicted on the team. Let's move on, keep fighting, improve, and beat Tech. We got a legit chance to beat them, Vandy, Carolina and South Alabama. If we can win those and steal a game from Ole Miss, or at UK or Mizzou, that would be a great first season, all things considered. GBO.

Texas is Arky's blood rival. Pittman took a team that couldn't find its butt with a bar of soap and blew that rival away in year 2. Anybody expect that to happen for the Vols next year?

And Pitt?

Texas would drill this Tennessee team.

This…

Plop a poll up and see what the consensus is, as to if the Vols would handle Texas like Arky did.

On paper, regardless of attrition, we’re the “better” team (relative to Arky)……..no? This seems a waste of argument.

Pittman is proving he can coach, CJH has a … decent body of work behind him… and this team is clearly better coached than the last 3 administration’s teams….but I think it’s safe to say his judgement calls at this level are still up for healthy skepticism (RE: Milton, discipline, play calling).

Reactions: Vol4life2
Hooker looked good except for the two turnovers but the penalties are alarming and the the play calling and in game decisions were horrendous. Sorry but at this time I don’t see how anyone can state that Heupel is going to be a good coach. No one has a clue and you are just wishful thinking he will be good.

He has a history of being good which is a step above our previous HC hires.

No, Heupel can still be judged, just within context. We didn't lose today because of 30 transfers and only 71 scholarship players. We lost today because Heupel started the wrong QB, the team played extremely undisciplined in the first half, and Heupel made some questionable play calls at key moments in the game.

And on a full roster some of those undisciplined players won’t even be on the team.

Are you serious? Slightly better than Pruitt? Pruitt would’ve gone 0-12 with Pittman’s roster.
I’m not serious. That was for all the posters last season that could only look at a record and not at performance. It’s pretty obvious that Pittman would run circles around Pruitt with whatever talent each coach had.

Reactions: The Original Fade

VN Store

Back