Chaney

Our running plays are too vanilla. Not enough mixing it up. No attempt at confusing the defense. Just line it up, and run inside or out. When you don't have hosses on the offensive line, you gotta mix it up a bit. Some fake reverses, some real reverses, some counters, etc.
I saw a tightend run on a hand off that was A nice call the Jennings pass that was going to be another pass turn into a good play. Chaney is not a problem he called a run straight up the middle for a touchdown and he called a game today where the Offense physically whooped the D.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I love hindsight internet OCs.
I have no trouble with the play call, on either of the pics. The execution was the problem. Throwing into double coverage(Misread the defense), and the second int BM threw on the run, across his body. I am sure he was trying to lead a bit more, and put a bit more air on it. But, square up, and make the throw, or pull it down, or throw it away.

Has anyone been impressed with Chaney’s play-calling at any point this season?
Yes. Don't confuse poor execution with poor playcalling. Great players make bad play calls look good. Lesser players make good play calls look awful.

No doubt he's made some bad calls and would probably tell you all about them if asked... but until the team executes better you really won't be able to tell how good the play calls are.

I like Chaney, especially how he sets up big plays, but this game he was not good. Complete panic after Maurer went down, which makes no sense. I know everybody's down on Guarantano, but I just don't buy completely tossing out the passing game. He looked more comfortable throwing than he has all year. Maurer is now 22 of 48 with 4 ints. If we were willing to throw with a guy with those numbers, then it's nuts to think that lising him meant we could no longer run ANY passing plays.

And, with no misdirection in the running game, every play brought every defender to the ball. Ugly, all around.

What I do not understand is why he does not roll the QB's out. They are both duel threat QB's. Limit their decision making and give them the opportunity to pull the ball down and run. Instead they keep taking a 2 step drops and while the pocket collapses around them. Maurer, seems to have a little better pocket presence then JG. I was really excited to see Chaney come back but so far have not been too impressed.

Has anyone been impressed with Chaney’s play-calling at any point this season?
Yes. To begin with: He had to take a hammer and two nails, and build an offensive line out of a bunch of guys that didn't even want to practice when he got here. Next, he had to build some semblence of a quarterback. Next, he is trying to build a running game around running backs that are comparatively undersized, can't pick up line backers, and run scared (except for Jordan). ...So yeah, with those limitations, I'd say he is doing what we can do..at this point in the rebuild. All this in the less than a year that he has been here.

Reactions: feathersax
I like Chaney, especially how he sets up big plays, but this game he was not good. Complete panic after Maurer went down, which makes no sense. I know everybody's down on Guarantano, but I just don't buy completely tossing out the passing game. He looked more comfortable throwing than he has all year. Maurer is now 22 of 48 with 4 ints. If we were willing to throw with a guy with those numbers, then it's nuts to think that lising him meant we could no longer run ANY passing plays.

And, with no misdirection in the running game, every play brought every defender to the ball. Ugly, all around.
He was playing the game the way it needed to be played you are either trolling or know nothing about football.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCFisher
What I do not understand is why he does not roll the QB's out. They are both duel threat QB's. Limit their decision making and give them the opportunity to pull the ball down and run. Instead they keep taking a 2 step drops and while the pocket collapses around them. Maurer, seems to have a little better pocket presence then JG. I was really excited to see Chaney come back but so far have not been too impressed.
JG is not, I repeat, is NOT a dual threat QB. He may have been recruited and ranked #1 as a dual threat QB, but he is not a duel threat. He's barely a single threat.

Last edited:
Reactions: tn4elvis
He was playing the game the way it needed to be played you are either trolling or no nothing about football.
I really like the irony of "no nothing". However...
No. He was playing the game the way a panicky coaching staff plays it. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it backfires. Mixing it up just enough to keep them off balance raises the percentage of times it works significantly. The method we used was one of Johnny Majors favorite routines for milking a tie out of win.

Pruitt is the problem.
He most definitely isn't. The problem is the QB coach who and JG thinking he was ready to take the reigns of the offense. Tyson Hilton clearly knew he wasnt ready last year and made him run the plays he want and look what happened. JG was full of himself coming into this season and completely bombed lol reality is a bitch and most of you refuse to accept it.

Our running plays are too vanilla. Not enough mixing it up. No attempt at confusing the defense. Just line it up, and run inside or out. When you don't have hosses on the offensive line, you gotta mix it up a bit. Some fake reverses, some real reverses, some counters, etc.

Our runs looks vanilla because our backs arent very good. Eric Gray is the exception but he's young. We need another Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry etc...havent seen one of those in a while. Arian Foster was close but couldnt hold on to the ball.

JG is not, I repeat, is NOT a duel threat QB. He may have been recruited and ranked #1 as a duel threat QB, but he is not a duel threat. He's barely a single threat.

Jg not duel threat and never has been. The star raters totally missed on him, poor hs stats he had to get the star rating at camps and highlite film

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Jg not duel threat and never has been. The star raters totally missed on him, poor hs stats he had to get the star rating at camps and highlite film
I didnt think about camps. Do you think they actually rated him dual threat QB because of camp work?

CJP stated very clearly in the post game press conference that they were intentionally hyper-conservative in the second half. They had a two-possession lead. They trusted their defense more than they trusted the passing game to add on. Either approach is fine as long as it works. Both suck when it doesn't. This time it worked.

Reactions: feathersax
I really like the irony of "no nothing". However...
No. He was playing the game the way a panicky coaching staff plays it. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it backfires. Mixing it up just enough to keep them off balance raises the percentage of times it works significantly. The method we used was one of Johnny Majors favorite routines for milking a tie out of win.
Auto correct got me. Like the Johnny reference at least shows your age but it was not panic because BM was hurt it would have been called the same with either JG or BM was playing mostly because we left points on the field in 2 trips to the red zone and the way our D was playing and you could see our line and running was wearing down that Shoop Defense we had 13-3 lead and the clock running was our friend. It's the way I would have went. The Vols physically whooped MSU .

VN Store

Back