Chaney

Chaney's play calling is so so. Wish he would use the middle of the field more as it has been open. While the OL is playing better I hope he max protects against Bama of we will run out of QBs before the game is over.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Take your pick, many threads either blame Chaney for the offense or Pruitt, so one or both deserves credit today by having a feel for the game. Too many turnovers early but had a lead. Stuck with the run to calm the offense and limit turnovers with the lead while running clock. 1st quarter run plays were mostly 2-3 yards but turned into bigger gains in second half. Chaney has had some good wrinkles the last few weeks. I liked the mini jet sweep today to Wood-Anderson. I think we typically consider the OC limits playcalling with a young QB but likely same for a young line starting 3 freshman today. It wasn't pretty watching all the runs but it worked.

Reactions: albedo33
The middle of the field is where mediocre QBs go to die.
Middle of the field can make everyone look good. You only throw wide the defense only covers wide making it even tougher to throw at all which has been one of our issues. I'm not saying throw deep I'm saying quick slants. Slide the RB out past the line in that open space.

If Miss state had an adequate Qb we lose. Chaney’s play calling today will get us beat 90% of the time.
Pruitt acknowledged that in the press conference. But they correctly identified the fact that this was the 10% of the time when we could get away with being hyperconservative. When it comes down to it, this was a 1-4 team that just needed to get a W no matter how ugly it was.

If Miss state had an adequate Qb we lose. Chaney’s play calling today will get us beat 90% of the time.
I’m perplexed how he called this game has any bearing on any other game.. The game dictates how you call it, if MS St had a QB who could do anything the game would have been called different..

They did not, so again, he did exactly right thing.

I’ve been impressed. If you look at each game, we’re able to run the ball and he keep springing WR open on offense. We just didn’t execute the passes with JG. They were there.

Reactions: kcvols1
I've came to the conclusion that most of y'all wouldn't be happy regardless of who the offensive coordinator or head coach is.

Reactions: VolinMC
Pruitt post game order quote:
"Now, can we win a bunch of games like that? Probably not, but that's the way we needed to play to win this game. So I thought our coaches did a really good job".
I thought they had a great feel for the game which got us the win.

Well, considering you began the season with an experienced QB, who supposedly opened the entire playbook, but would only throw 50/50 balls to the boundary, or dump down to a back, with no confidence in himself, or his line, and then switched to a true freshman, with no experience and no fear,and cut the playbook down, considerably, and has a tendency to force the ball, once you get in the red zone. Then, after twice having to sit said freshman, for injuries, you go back to the guy, with no confidence, that has been made worse, due to getting benched, and this is what you get. Safe, Safe, Safe, punt. I was glad to see the o-line enforce it's will, at the end, and Chaney pulled out some interesting plays, in the run game. A simple end around, for 5-6 yds, is much bigger than you think. 2nd and 4or5, is much better than 2nd and 8 or 9. The last TD was a simple case of a tired DB, not fully grasping the kind of speed Byrd possesses, a ball delivered on target, and on time, and a great football move.

Middle of the field can make everyone look good. You only throw wide the defense only covers wide making it even tougher to throw at all which has been one of our issues. I'm not saying throw deep I'm saying quick slants. Slide the RB out past the line in that open space.

The longer the ball is in the air the more bad things can happen. It's fact, the throws outside take longer to get there than dumps over the middle or slants going toward the middle. However lots of defenses start with being tough up the middle so a lot of defenders are there. Talent, schemes, and execution is what it comes down to in football.

VN Store

Back