Chaney offenses, by the numbers: 2009-2018

He's a great coach. Wasn't a fan of his playcalling while at UT...especially in the redzone where he'd get too cute. I always figured he just needed to adjust how he called games from his time in the Big10 to the SEC...and his time at Arkansas and UGA helped a lot. Still calls some head-scratching plays at times, but he's a lot better than when he was at UT. The offense will definitely improve under him and the optics of this hire are great.

Still calls some head-scratching plays at times, but he's a lot better than when he was at UT. The offense will definitely improve under him and the optics of this hire are great.

I like the hire and am cautiously optimistic; he's a solid, competent, and very experienced OC. While his overall offensive numbers have been pretty average over the last decade, he's led 3 top-20/25 offenses so he's entirely capable with the right tools at his disposal.

Best hire we could have made IMO. He frustrated the hell outta me at times when he was here but he's improved since his first tenure in Knoxville. This gives me a little reassurance that we are now serious about winning again. Get him some talent to work with and he'll do good things here.

Last edited:
I always liked Chaney and I hated he was at GA. Coworkers are GA fans and they were sometimes mixed (as a fan base usually is) but overall mostly positive about him. They have talent at GA and Chaney had some talent here in Knox too (2011 wasn't his fault)--his time here was good. Chaney is a good coach and we all know he can coach a QB. I think he'll want to stay too and he obviously likes our program--which means a lot to me as a fan. I really feel like the feet of program are getting set and we are going to rebound pretty well this year--especially in recruiting. You can get a sense that things --in my opinion--are starting to turn around. GBO

Reactions: posivol and bugsme
This was absolutely the safest hire that could have been made. Chaney has coached here before (and presumably likes Knoxville since he is returning), he runs a pro-style offense (which Pruitt has said he favors) and he has spent 9 of the last 10 seasons in the SEC.

The best part about this is the experience he has. I think the biggest concern with Pruitt in general was wondering if he would truly let his OC run his offense. Chaney isn't a rookie like Helton. He's coming in to run his offense, and allow Pruitt to focus on the defense.

As many have said, I don’t think Chaney is the most electrifying OC in college football, but he is well respected, consistent, and appears to want to be in Knoxville. I also like seeing former players speak up for him. I’d rather have a guy that can give us a top 25 offense and want to be a Vol long term than a top 5 offense and be doing this again in 1-2 years.

Uh oh, factual stats. What will the Chaney lovers think? They function off emotion.

But they're saying no Pittman 😢

Yup, he'll have to match that mediocrity without Pittman. Those UT numbers? The lone good year was with Pittman.

Luckily, I don't think Friend is too far behind Pittman. The question will be how they get along.

I like the hire and am cautiously optimistic; he's a solid, competent, and very experienced OC. While his overall offensive numbers have been pretty average over the last decade, he's led 3 top-20/25 offenses so he's entirely capable with the right tools at his disposal.

True, but also has 2 that are 100th or worse. 2 of those best offenses were with UGA's #4 ranked overall talent (per 247). UT is at 15th. Maybe we jump towards 10th with this class and another. Don't see us hitting 4th anytime soon. The question is if he can consistently do it with less talent and without Pittman.

So looking at the chart there, it seems he usually improves an offense by quite a decent clip. Definitely a sign of a good OC no?

The context is missing though. For instance, his first year at Ark was a step backward from before he came. Had nowhere to go but up. As was his first year at UGA, a step backward. Nowhere to go but up. Then he was handed the keys to the #4 talented team in the nation. Of course numbers went up. Now, with tons of more talent he's nearing Richt's best offense of 2014 (41 ppg), but didn't reach it.

You can see the UT offense went down the first few years. Not progress. A great 2012 with veterans was a 1-off, but had he stuck in 2013 the numbers clearly would have went down again as all our talent left (not his fault).

The issue is he really doesn't have a system that can get through times of less talent. He needs constant talent or else he struggles.

VN Store

Back