Chances Tennessee ends with #2 rated class?

I trust this coaching staff, if you are looking just at the *****, then you might be missing the big picture. Pruitt and company are building sustainability, consistancy, team chemistry, development etc. If *s is your only measurement, You might be selling this team short. I don't believe this staff gives a rat's ass about *s, that is the like the bow on a package, its whatever inside that counts.
Perfectly stated. Stars don't matter to Pruitt. He will evaluate the players and coach them up. I predict we'll end up 7th or 8th in the rankings. But, we'll have a number of 3* players that play like 4* or 5* players.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
What leads you to believe that we won't finish well? Pruitt is one of the best recruiters in the country and his track record of finishing well is pretty good. He's also likely to always have a handful of 3 stars as Pruitt is also one of the best talent evaluators in the country, my guess is that he finds some really good players that slip by the great minds of those that think they can rate high school athletes.
Didn't say I think we finish poorly. And I don't think we finish poorly. Just sharing an article and echoing it, in that we've got too many 3*s to finish stronger than our rivals. I thought it was funny people were talking about our mighty class when we were sitting with 12 3* and a couple 4 stars that had us sitting at 3rd in rankings, saying that our rivals were fearing us. We had quanity, but not enough quality. Butch Jones esque class.

I agree that Pruitt is a great evaluator, coach and recruiter, but some people were getting ahead of themselves. Now we're shaping up and looking like we're heading for a potential top 5 class. But let's not get too cocky and arrogant about it. But it does feel good right now. Just hope they stick and others continue to jump on

No. 2 class ? Heck, how about #1 class!! :p

Agreed. If you're not #1 and end up #2 it simply means you're first loser. Tired of the mentality "let's just shoot for being in the top ten and we'll celebrate." Vug that, if you aren't shooting to be #1 every year may as well not compete at all. I'll celebrate being in the top ten, but that's an ice cream and cake celebration, finish #1 we poppin' bottles!!

Reactions: VolForLife83
What leads you to believe that we won't finish well? Pruitt is one of the best recruiters in the country and his track record of finishing well is pretty good. He's also likely to always have a handful of 3 stars as Pruitt is also one of the best talent evaluators in the country, my guess is that he finds some really good players that slip by the great minds of those that think they can rate high school athletes.
Only problem with our 3* players is every other school wants them and want to steal them away.

Some our 3 Stars will end up 4 Stars by signing day. We have a legit shot at a Top 5 class with Top 10 almost a lock.

It's a Chicken Little approach to fandom. Enjoy the fact that Pruitt has assembled a coaching staff of great recruiters and they are doing what they do best: recruit. Get out from under the bed and enjoy it.

24/7 taking the opportunity to try and throw a wet blanket on Tennessee's recent success. Why would any Tennessee fan give a site like this any money for this type of coverage?

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Missouri and Baylor have both done pretty well with 3 stars. Coaching and desire from the players to buy in are huge factors.

You do realize on average there is just 28 FIVE Star players yearly. If UT gets 4 or 5 that is one team out of 117 teams getting around 20% of the 5*'s that will be incredible.
Raises for all the coaches are in order.
yes...of course i realize that. Look...we have two right now. You add Mondon and Mims and look for Salter to rise...or even another surprise. 5 of those 5 star players...its there.

Didn't say I think we finish poorly. And I don't think we finish poorly. Just sharing an article and echoing it, in that we've got too many 3*s to finish stronger than our rivals. I thought it was funny people were talking about our mighty class when we were sitting with 12 3* and a couple 4 stars that had us sitting at 3rd in rankings, saying that our rivals were fearing us. We had quanity, but not enough quality. Butch Jones esque class.

I agree that Pruitt is a great evaluator, coach and recruiter, but some people were getting ahead of themselves. Now we're shaping up and looking like we're heading for a potential top 5 class. But let's not get too cocky and arrogant about it. But it does feel good right now. Just hope they stick and others continue to jump on
This class doesn't resemble any gym coach Jones' class that I can remember. Anyone hating on this recent run of recruiting success is just a plain ol hater.

Reactions: BadgerVol!
Low. I'm excited as anyone, but this class is still VERY, VERY 3* heavy. Sure, we'll get a few more 4* and 1-3 will get bumped in rankings. But we'll probably also lose 1-2 blue chippers. It's a good start, but we all know it's how we finish

Can Tennessee stick at No. 2 in the recruiting rankings?
Totally depends on who we add/lose and if the current players get bumps. Most ratings are still very premature until a bit through their senior season, but we'll see.

I think none of us has a single clue what Pruitt or this class has in store for us. The last month has proved that, and not one of us would have predicted this surge a few weeks ago. Could be top 10, could be #1. We are a room full of guessing idiots including myself

Agreed. If you want to finish top 5 in the rankings you simply cannot have a class that is over half 3 star players. On Rivals our star average is 3.38. That is good enough to finish in the 15 to 20 range most years.

Now, some of these players will gain their 4th star. One, on rivals, will likely gain his 5th. Plus, we can now be more choosy about who we take. I'd say we finish in the 7 to 10 range when all is said and done if we have a decent year on the field, but that is my opinion.

A lot of time between now and NSD. If you look at the average stars and points, UT isn't #2 now. You can't go off total points at this juncture. UT has more points simply because the Vols have more commits.

To finish #2, UT probably needs 3-4 fewer 3* and finish the rest with 4/5* players.

Truth is... being #2 vs #9... won't assure the class is better. If a program is well-coached and stays in the top 10 or perhaps even 15 then they can compete and win at a high level. It helps if your coach can evaluate talent for himself and finds 3* guys who either are or can be developed into elite players.

I can remember when 3* Denarius Moore was the "baggage" UT took to get the 4* Lennon Creer.

Agreed. If you want to finish top 5 in the rankings you simply cannot have a class that is over half 3 star players. On Rivals our star average is 3.38. That is good enough to finish in the 15 to 20 range most years.

Now, some of these players will gain their 4th star. One, on rivals, will likely gain his 5th. Plus, we can now be more choosy about who we take. I'd say we finish in the 7 to 10 range when all is said and done if we have a decent year on the field, but that is my opinion.

This is pretty spot on. I would say we are well on our way to a Top 5 though.

History says we need to end up with 15-17 blue chippers, of which 2-4 are 5-stars. We are sitting at 9 and 2, with 7 open spots. We seem to be in on a lot of elites and, as you say, quite a few of our commits may get a bump.

I think we are more likely to finish within the Top 5 than below it.

Reactions: norrislakevol
yes...of course i realize that. Look...we have two right now. You add Mondon and Mims and look for Salter to rise...or even another surprise. 5 of those 5 star players...its there.

It is doable Saban has done it not sure if they were consensus Across the board but doable
I think his 2015 class supposed to be best ever.

Attachments

• CD6679B0-FAC9-4179-BA05-1039607239F7.png
    CD6679B0-FAC9-4179-BA05-1039607239F7.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 6
Probably pretty slim. But that's got more to do with math than anything really. OSU is on Pace to have a historic class.. So it'll be hard for anyone to knock them off.

And there's several programs ranked well behind us right now that will move up fast... Bama has 4 commits... Lol and a 94 average. So they haven't really gotten started. But no one will be surprised to see them, UGA, LSU, Clemson, ATM, Michigan, UF, etc wind up top 5/10 at the end...

I think it's imperative we hold on to the core of this class which is predominantly the 8 or 9 guys that jumped in the past two weeks.

We're at 21 commits right now and to get just some of the prospects we still want, that number has to come down eventually. So it's obviously fluid.

To finish in the top five we will have to fend off those that come calling for current commits and beat UGA, Clemson, bama among others for several head to head battles. Doable. But will be difficult.

I think in the end we wind up in that 6-9 range. I don't really care necessarily about the ranking itself as much as I do simply being in the same peer group as UGA bama Clemson..vs USCe UK Etc... Stack top classes. And we're doing that. Top 15 two years ago top ten last year.... Top ten this year...

It's building. And so far it looks like it's being built the right way... It's all a work in progress regardless... Eval and develop. It is easier to do with higher caliber players so... Good for us on that front.

Reactions: Doberman
Too many 3* commits ....... zero chance.
Nice class, but based on numbers.

Too many 3* commits ....... zero chance.
Nice class, but based on numbers.
no chance it stays that way, either by rating changes or class attrition.

either way tho, not really worried about it. i'll be pretty shocked at this point if it's not well inside the top 10 when all is said and done.

Reactions: peaygolf
A good amount of these 3 stars are going to end up as 4 stars. There's only 247 4 stars on 247 right now, but there's usually one 350 when it is all said and done. Usually at least 10 Juco players that are 4 stars, there's currently zero. I believe out of this current group committed, there will be 4 more composite 4 stars by the final rankings. That would put us at 11 4 stars, and 8 3 stars.
I think we finish guaranteed top 10, probably top 5.

There’s less total 4 and 5 star players early in the recruiting cycle. Examples of this are both Terrance Lewis and Tiyon Evans.

Terrance Lewis is the number 19 player in the nation on rivals but only a 4*. Every year they name 30-35 5*.

Evans is the #3 juco in the nation but only a 3* right now on 247. They normally rank 10-15 jucos as 4 stars.

So your notion is misguided. It’s early in the cycle. This early in the cycle, not all of the stars have been awarded.

Most recruiting sites give a lot of weight to how players perform at their own camps. You don’t trust a 40 time from a coach, you measure it at your camp. It will be interesting to see what happens if these camps aren’t held next summer. Right now we know they aren’t happening this summer so recruits won’t be moving position very much.

I’m not sure about Rivals but I know the 247 composite has 2 metrics for awarding a 5*. A player has to be above a certain grade and only the top 30 (I think) players above that grade can be 5*. I think the cutoff is a 95. This has created scenarios where one year a 95.3 is rated a 5* but the next a 95.3 is a 4* b/c there are 30 players ranked higher than him.

Reactions: Vol8188

VN Store

Back