CFP moving to 12 Teams in '24-'25 season.

If your going to 12 then you might as well go to 16
If you are going to 16 might as well make it like March Madness, 64+4.

Obviously that's a lot more games, so we would have to start earlier, let's say Septemeber.

And we will need to separate teams into geographic regions to make sense of the total tournament.

To keep things interesting we will also pair teams up to play each other every year and create reoccurring foes, that way the fans get invested in making sure you beat X team. Because what Tennessee fan is going to be excited about blowing out some Little 10 team year in and year out?

Might get a bit boring dropping teams out after one loss, so maybe we create some type of ranking system where wins move you up and losses down, and we track how you do throughout the season.

And there is no way that every team actually plays every team, so we will have to set a number of games, maybe like 12 games. We could always go bigger, but eventually injuries and the school year start to come into play, as well as other sport's seasons.

Maybe at the end of the 12 games we have an intermediate championship game of the geographic areas to reward teams that dont make it all the way and it also ensures more local rivalries. This way we know we are only sending the best of each geographic area to the finals or quarterfinals or however many regions we come up with.

We dont want to totally exclude good teams even if they dont play in the best geographic area, so maybe we come up with some tiering system based on what teams you play. Maybe some sort of ranking system with a Strong 5 geographic regions, while there is also a Weak 5 geographic regions.

Then after those regional championships we take the two best and have them play each other.

We have come a long way. I remember when the argument of if there would ever be any playoff, was had on this board. My memory tells me most believed it would not happen.

I just freaking hate having a committee. Playoff is fine. Give me the BCS standings to determine this order. The playoff committee now and how selections happen is a crock.

I just freaking hate having a committee. Playoff is fine. Give me the BCS standings to determine this order. The playoff committee now and how selections happen is a crock.

A committee played a big role in the BCS also.

We have come a long way. I remember when the argument of if there would ever be any playoff, was had on this board. My memory tells me most believed it would not happen.
A common refrain at the time was "there will never be a playoff because there is more money in the bowl system." I never bought that because that seemed like a "problem" with an obvious solution. Just use the major bowl games as the playoff games, which is exactly what they ended up doing.

There should be a 16 team Playoff like FCS. The first two rounds at home stadiums then the following rounds at bowl locations.
We could make it a 64-team playoff, and then people would be bitching that it isn't all 131 teams. People just like to bitch.

Yeah, it just depends on how much the playoff committee is taking under the table.

10 or 12 was always the best route. Provides better incentives to the top teams (w a bye)and allows for a real Cinderella team to finally emerge and win it all. It may expand further depending on the intere$t it draws but guessing that won't be for another 10 yrs.

We could make it a 64-team playoff, and then people would be bitching that it isn't all 131 teams. People just like to bitch.
Sounds like what Bobby Knight wanted to do in basketball

I like 10 ten teams—but what about the on the cusp teams that have to play in conference champion games? Like TN doesn’t play this week but K-state does. If K-State was say 10th had to play in conference title game—and loses—they’re quasi punished for having to play. Now I get it that it’s a game and if they lose they probably didn’t deserve to be there anyways—but it’s just a thought.

10 or 12 was always the best route. Provides better incentives to the top teams (w a bye)and allows for a real Cinderella team to finally emerge and win it all. It may expand further depending on the intere$t it draws but guessing that won't be for another 10 yrs.
The only Cindrella's will be the big teams who have a loss or two they shouldnt. All this does is give cushion to the top schools to still be in it even with a loss.

VN Store

Back