CBS: Heupel Among "Top 10 Coaches Under 45"

While I don't personally believe this to be true, Heupel will have an asterisk next to his name on many lists to this point. Many will say that he rode the success of Scott Frost, and that there isn't enough to prove he is a legitimate head coach. Heupel has a incredible opportunity to really build and improve this program here at Tennessee. I think that he actually proves to be just as good as the aforementioned, who now that I think about it, Day followed Meyer and Riley followed Stoops. Neither of them had to build anything. Heupel has a tremendous challenge ahead of him, but I think the way he is going about it is great. Build relationships, and focus on the on-field product, and the rest should fall into place.

I am hoping that this Tennessee team, regardless of what record they finish with, is remarkably different to every naked eye to what we have seen on the field in times past. I'm excited to see what it looks like.

While I don't personally believe this to be true, Heupel will have an asterisk next to his name on many lists to this point. Many will say that he rode the success of Scott Frost, and that there isn't enough to prove he is a legitimate head coach. Heupel has a incredible opportunity to really build and improve this program here at Tennessee. I think that he actually proves to be just as good as the aforementioned, who now that I think about it, Day followed Meyer and Riley followed Stoops. Neither of them had to build anything. Heupel has a tremendous challenge ahead of him, but I think the way he is going about it is great. Build relationships, and focus on the on-field product, and the rest should fall into place.

I am hoping that this Tennessee team, regardless of what record they finish with, is remarkably different to every naked eye to what we have seen on the field in times past. I'm excited to see what it looks like.
You would have probably seen Scott Frost's name at the very top of lists such as this three years ago. Just goes to show that they don't mean s***.

But what happened to Frost when he left UCF. He looks like an average to below average coach now.

Those "many" that say he rode Frost's success would be idiots. In 2017 UCF had 59 upperclassmen on their 2- deep roster that were either starting or in a backup role. That means Frost actually won with O'Leary's players who were 7-1 in their conference the year before the 0-12 season. Heupel's so called "decline" came with Frost's players. The only real trend is that over the last 7-8 years (3 different coaches) UCF typically wins double digit games in seasons that they have alot of upperclassmen playing. Seasons that their 2-deep had more underclassmen getting PT they went 0-12 (O'leary), 6-7(Frost), 6-4(Heupel) over that span with Heupel being the only 1 of the 3 to have a winning record playing young guys. It kinda makes perfect sense that a place like UCF would win big when they have a ton of upperclassmen bc they get recruits that have to be developed over 4-5 yrs. 5 star recruits aint walking through their doors ready to play day 1. I fully expect Gus to have a big season this year but not because he is a great coach, its mostly from a decade trend that UCF wins alot of games when they play alot of upperclassmen and Heupels 1st 2 classes are JR's & SR's now.

CBS: Heupel Among "Top 10 Coaches Under 45"

Nice little write-up. Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day top the list.

In my opinion, terrible list for several reasons. It would take an awful coach to not win at Oklahoma and Ohio State. Their coaches should always win. Heupel has a much harder road coaching at Tennessee than do coaches at those schools. Also, coaches such as Drinkwitz at Missouri, Fleck at Minnesota, etc....they have the disadvantages at their respective schools versus us than we do against the Alabama and Ohio States of the world. Winning here requires MUCH more ability than winning at Oklahoma and Ohio State. Winning at Missouri and Minnesota requires MUCH more ability than winning at Tennessee.

This is all just my opinion. Scott Frost is still a good coach. Nebraska is in a worse situation than Tennessee. They lost their recruiting prowess in Texas when they moved to the Big 10. They are just dwindling out there. If they want to be successful again in football, the best thing for Nebraska would be to quit chasing the Big 10 money and go back to the Big 12.

The same could have been said about Phil Fulmer. He rode Majors’ skirt tail.

I base that comment on the fact we are looking at a 4-8 record (at best) this upcoming season. He is not magically going to turn us into an SEC contender after one spring.
Didn't say he would in 1 season, but he needs more than 1 season to see what he's capable of with this team

Yeah, that's basically the gist of my comment.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight

agnes.jpg

Reactions: IluvdoubleD's

VN Store

Back