CBI just cancelled their tournament.

I'd rather earn the bid vs backing in.
I agree, but this is an unusual situation and has been an unusual situation. Right now without the virus, we have less than a 25% shot and a win in the SEC tournament means little. 2 wins yes but there will be several teams that may back if schools decline so might as well be us. It is what it is. The NIT maybe cancelled as well because of the panic....even the NCAA. The field maybe reduced also to 32, which maybe another option? Who knows. Traveling during this time and all the ins and outs of direct or indirect contact will be at all time high for panic.

Is there liability concerns on organizations if they proceed with games despite state officials imploring not to hold large gatherings?
Yes, the litigious nature of our society is more of a reason than the virus itself, IMO.

I don't know of any basketball player who's grown up aspiring to the CBI.

If you would take the time to read the 3 or 4 posts ahead of my response instead of just trying to be a sarcastic ass, you would see that it was in response to cancelling all of the NCAA tournaments, not just the CBI. EVERY basketball player dreams of playing in the NCAA tournament - which now is going to be diminished with no crowds allowed in and if this hysteria continues as it is now for the next week, could possibly be completely cancelled.

If those comparing this to the flu had a chance to end the flu, would they? Even though coronavirus is not a drastic killer, it’s fundamentally a good idea to try to contain it and see if it can be eliminated like SARS, even if it means limiting audiences.

I don’t think tournaments need to be full cancelled at all, but I think limiting attendance is a good idea for cautionary reasons. For something like the CIT it probably is a good idea because no one would come

Reactions: BartW
Very thoughtful and informed post.
no one is saying we need to panic. Let’s listen to organizations like WHO and CDC for these recommendations, they have expert opinions. We don’t want to look back like Italy and wish we had done more to help contain this and protect the most vulnerable. The NCAA tournament will certainly look different with empty stands but I think it will go on.
That’s where I disagree. In our “monkey see, monkey do” society, every new media report, every cancellation, every sold out grocery store is telling you to panic.

They may not be saying the words, “ We should panic,” but the actions of every governing body is suggesting that the panic is warranted, and everyone’s individual reaction supports that idea. How’s your 401k, this afternoon?

Reactions: whodeycin85
That’s where I disagree. In our “monkey see, monkey do” society, every new media report, every cancellation, every sold out grocery store is telling you to panic.

They may not be saying the words, “ We should panic,” but the actions of every governing body is suggesting that the panic is warranted, and everyone’s individual reaction supports that idea. How’s your 401k, this afternoon?
I agree that I don’t think it’s worth it to panic, though I do think that extreme measures like limiting large gatherings of people that may be infected (aka not athletes) are a good idea to see if we can end it through isolation.

If you would take the time to read the 3 or 4 posts ahead of my response instead of just trying to be a sarcastic ass, you would see that it was in response to cancelling all of the NCAA tournaments, not just the CBI. EVERY basketball player dreams of playing in the NCAA tournament - which now is going to be diminished with no crowds allowed in and if this hysteria continues as it is now for the next week, could possibly be completely cancelled.

The thread was about the CBI tournament being cancelled, not the NCAA tourney.
And my post was more facetious than sarcastic. Perhaps you failed to see the humor in it.

I’m as frustrated on the 401k as anyone, but anyone who is not prepared to lose money from time to time should not really be in the market. Take a long run approach, it will bounce back. You can even make some money if you buy the dip, the tricky part of course is knowing when to pull the trigger.

View attachment 265707
Then we should have never played a tournament based on that logic as the flu kills 300,000-650,000 per year. So far the Coronavirus has killed 4607 people! This is stupid to say the least!
This is 10 times worse than the flu and there is no vaccine. How stupid are you ?

Why don't we just cancel all games each year during flu season? that kills many more people than this virus will.
Virus that’s here every winter vs one that literally just came on the scene and has infected 100,000 + and >4K deaths on 6 continents in 3 months, with a mortality rate 20 x that of flu (and for vulnerable older people with chronic pulmonary conditions this looks to be even higher)....Imagine if this becomes as wide spread as flu.
How about we Listen to infection disease experts and not social media or uninformed opinions? Does life change? Yeah. Is it inconvenient? Yeah. But these measures are meant to contain the virus and save lives.

Yes, the flu kills over 30k a year in the US. So what? The coronavirus is on par to be as contagious as the 2009 swine flu, which infected nearly 20% of the world population. The coronavirus currently has a mortality rate of 3.4%. We know this number will come down with more testing so lets be conservative and call it 1%. That is 10 times higher than the seasonal flu at it's worst. So try and consider if 1/5 of the US contracts the coronavirus and 1 out every 100 of those die. This has the very real potenetial of being the worse pandemic since the 1918 Spanish Flu that killed between 50 and 100 millon peope worldwide. But that is not the real concern. The real concern is that 15% of those infected with the coronavirus require hospitalization, and nearly 5% need an ICU bed and/or a ventilator. This country does not have enough hospital beds or vents to take care of those people, and that doesnt even account for the normal, yearly need for those services. So keep telling yourself the flu is worse and this is just meida hype, and I hope you are right, but don't acted shocked when you hear stories of people being treated in school gyms instead of hospitals or when someone you know is told there is no room at the hospital and they have to deal with a severe illness at home.

I liked and then unliked this post just so I could like again.

I’m as frustrated on the 401k as anyone, but anyone who is not prepared to lose money from time to time should not really be in the market. Take a long run approach, it will bounce back. You can even make some money if you buy the dip, the tricky part of course is knowing when to pull the trigger.
If you're 40, like myself, I completely agree. If you're 65, or older, this likely could cripple any plans you may have had to retire comfortably if you were still invested in high risk, volatile funds...a questionable strategy for someone that age, to begin with. If your assets had been moved to lower risk funds, your damage is minimized, though not entirely eliminated.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I agree that I don’t think it’s worth it to panic, though I do think that extreme measures like limiting large gatherings of people that may be infected (aka not athletes) are a good idea to see if we can end it through isolation.
Haven’t heard any health officials thinking the virus can be “ended through isolation”. Only that the spread can be slowed.

Virus that’s here every winter vs one that literally just came on the scene and has infected 100,000 + and >4K deaths on 6 continents in 3 months, with a mortality rate 20 x that of flu (and for vulnerable older people with chronic pulmonary conditions this looks to be even higher)....Imagine if this becomes as wide spread as flu.
How about we Listen to infection disease experts and not social media or uninformed opinions? Does life change? Yeah. Is it inconvenient? Yeah. But these measures are meant to contain the virus and save lives.

Yes you are correct in this. However you have exaggerated the stats. We average in the US alone over 15,000 flu deaths every year. Worldwide flu deaths are in hundreds of thousands each year.

Mortality rate is not 20 x that of flu. It's like 1.2 compared to .7 which is less than twice that of flu. But I understand what you are saying. It is still overreaction in my opinion.

Haven’t heard any health officials thinking the virus can be “ended through isolation”. Only that the spread can be slowed.

It would be huge to get enough test kits deployed to test everybody with symptoms ASAP. Vaccines will take months, but if people can be tested earlier before walking amongst us spreading it for 2 weeks then we'll get a handle on the crises.

Reactions: Lankykong
SARS was and it’s the same class of virus (coronavirus). I think they aren’t talking about it because it’s already spread too much

Vaccines. How good are the flu vaccines working? Besides many of you all wouldn't take the vaccine anyway. Note:. I am pro vaccines, but flu vac jus doesn't seem to work.

Vaccines. How good are the flu vaccines working? Besides many of you all wouldn't take the vaccine anyway. Note:. I am pro vaccines, but flu vac jus doesn't seem to work.
medical research has sucked in recent years - it sure isnt where I thought it would be 25 years ago

Too many different types of flu for the vaccines to work perfectly. Plus, maybe the flu would have a higher mortality rate (definitely would have a higher infection rate) if we didn’t get vaccinated.

We don’t know if coronavirus will adapt like the flu by itself or not, so the theoretical vaccine might be very effective

SARS was and it’s the same class of virus (coronavirus). I think they aren’t talking about it because it’s already spread too much
The virus could have been contained with more aggressive action earlier. Right now we're on a trajectory much like Italy, who has seen over 1000 people die this week.

Reactions: Lankykong

VN Store

Back